Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
10-4 on the Onan. That sucker's so quiet you have to go outside and stand by it to make sure its running. Inside the coach you can just barely feel it running or hear it for that matter. Great item!

And, as to the mod squad, remember, not all mods are made for all people. A lot of the places I camp I would not make it to the sewer connection with a shortened dump tube, takes a 20 ft hose sometimes now. Since I don't drink wine, don't need that one. Cabinet idea is great, if I ever run out of storage room, I'll add it. See what I mean.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #30

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Those external Honda 3K quiet gens are quiet as well, and that is what melon is used to. We used to have Honda's external 400EX generator which is also in their quiet category (i think that is what its name was) and it was also super quiet although that one was heavy and on wheels. We'd pull it out of the toyhauler and leave it outside at night.
But i think you will find the ONANs mounted in the WW are just as quiet, although they are bigger, because they are insulated from the coach interior.

Tom,
have you ever heard of Tulsa Engine Warehouse in Twin Oaks? I'm probably going to get a small engine from them today or tommorow unless you've heard bad things about them

on edit:
this is what we used on our first WW
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...delName=ex4500
and although it is heavy, it was QUIET.
But the Onan rivals it for quiet, and i don't ever have to push and pull the ONAN around

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Tulsa Engine Warehouse: Can't say I've ever heard of them but checked and they are listed in the phone book, located south Tulsa, almost to Bixby. Good luck!

I'm really impressed with the Onan. I had a 6.5 model in the Motorhome and it was noisy, cringed everytime I started it up.

I can crank this one up in the wee hours and never wake anyone sleeping in the trailer. Some relatives have one of those 4k Generacs, I try and camp as far away from them as I can.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #32
CD

Educate me! Tell me why I should put in 4-6volts VS 3 12volts with a cost difference of $60 more for the 6volts along with the fact I can only use the 6volt ones in the trailer and I can swap the 12's around between boat and trailer. 3 12volt deepcycle's last a long time.[/quote]

It's my under standing that a true Deep Cycle batt. won't very effectly start a car or PU engine because it lacks enough starting amps. The starting batt. has a lot of starting amps. but won't last long. The "Marine Deep Cycle" is a trade off of both. If you see on the batt. a rating for starting amps. then it isn't a true Deep Cycle.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:45 PM   #33

CD:

Good points...let me add that starting amps is the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) number they give- if the batt has a figure on that, it's not a deep cycle.

And Cliff: "The 'Marine Deep Cycle' is a trade off of both" really means it doesn't do EITHER really well (kinda that 'Jack of All Trades..." thing).

Thanks much!
Old 06-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #34
CD

WWFan
Thanks. That was what I was trying to say only you said it much better.

Old 06-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #35

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FatDog:
Those external Honda 3K quiet gens are quiet as well, and that is what melon is used to. [QUOTE]

I was sad to see that gen go. It was so quiet, you could eat your dinner right on top of it. It only weighed 130 lbs, and fit right in the front compartment next to the batteries. We would just drop it on the floor right in front, and chain it to the landing gear at night.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #36

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CD:
Educate me! Tell me why I should put in 4-6volts VS 3 12volts with a cost difference of $60 more for the 6volts along with the fact I can only use the 6volt ones in the trailer and I can swap the 12's around between boat and trailer. 3 12volt deepcycle's last a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's my under standing that a true Deep Cycle batt. won't very effectly start a car or PU engine because it lacks enough starting amps. The starting batt. has a lot of starting amps. but won't last long. The "Marine Deep Cycle" is a trade off of both. If you see on the batt. a rating for starting amps. then it isn't a true Deep Cycle.[/QUOTE]

CD

You sure you want to get this stated again?

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 06-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #37
CD

Melon
Perhaps I didn't do it right. The quote you had that said (Originally posted by CD) was a quote from Vette Racer's post on June 20.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #38

Got it lol

Its just, you get these guy started on batteries, well, you know the rest.

WW LE3505
Old 06-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey, thats ok. I've made my decision too, stay with my 12volts, besides, the boat could use some fresher batteries.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #40

Tom,
Yeah, and those Optimum blue tops last forever. Probably the last set of batteries you'll ever buy.

WW LE3505
Old 06-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #41

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
Tom,
Yeah, and those Optimum blue tops last forever. Probably the last set of batteries you'll ever buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Melon:

At the risk of getting all the fancy battery peeps mad...

Actually, those are gel cells, and have the least amount of life to them- they are great for a non-maintenance battery, but are useless for any heavy-duty use you'd use as juice for a coach...just like anything else in life- you've got to have the ability to feed your batteries (with water), any they are very precarious at long deep drains...they work great on buggies...a good Deep Cycle batt will give you 5-8 yars of service, but only if you tend it.

Bottom line...I believe you buy whatever you buy...over the course of, say, 30 years, you'll be able to say that you spent the same money anyone else did...but how often you have to change them will be the key.

Sean
Old 06-21-2005, 10:36 PM   #42

Here is a picture of my battery bank.

I have four 12V's. Two (Interstates) run the coach.

The other two (Die Hard)supply power to my 2 inverters. The big one in the cabinet is a Costco one, I run a extension cord to where ever. The other inverter is a 800W in the storage cabinet for the TV or whatever. The batteries are seperated by an isolator that receives power from the converter to charge all four. So far so good. I hope to someday hook up a solar panel for sun power to them.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote