Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #85

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
great point has been raised - how many times DO you really yank a handful of quads with you??

I knew for a fact that I would every single time,....
quickly i realized that it was only half the time.!

Sometimes me and the little lady go out and only take two.
Sometimes we go with NO bikes...
... only the kayak.
Or one bike

You DO develop a comfort level with your ToyHauler condition,
and as much as I hate to say this, if the gel floats you, FLOAT.

<span class="ev_code_GREY">(2021 pound CCC) plus (960 pounds for 'NO GelCoat') = 2981 pounds</span>

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #86

Hi Wes,

I posted a topic on the "other forum" regarding this info. I went to washoe metal today with my trailer and talked to them about lifting the trailer 2 inches....I was surprised when the guy told me they do these all the time....several every week. They can lift the trailer between 4 and 10 inches. He said they do a lot of 5ers because the trucks pulling them are lifted and they need the trailers to match. The estimate to do the job would not be over 600.00 dollars. They also told me they do all the trailers for the local dealers and he was naming all the rv dealers in town....so if you bring your trailer to a dealer and tell them you want it lifted they take it to Washoe metals. My next step is to call WW tomorrow and see if I pay to lift my trailer if they will send me 16" wheels and tires....I don't know why they wouldn't. I also would like the weight tag around 13K...but that is not a deal breaker....I don't think I will go over the 12,300 anyway....but I would really like to have 16" tires and rims. It sounds like you have been talking to WW already....so I don't know what there stance is on this.....but I will PM you after I talk to them. Feel free to PM me if you have some other info from them...like they can't give higher weight tags because of some other limitation that I don't know about. I will let you know when I hear from them.
As far as your situation.....maybe if they go for my deal where I pay the welding cost to lift the trailer....and they send 16" wheels...maybe you would consider that....I would have a hard time believing that Jon at MF would lose your business over a 600 labor cost.....I would think they would pay that or at least split it. I hope this works out for both of us.

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #87

Yeah, I know....my decision, but geez, I couldn't help but pick your brains one last time.

You guys make some great points and I'm gonna sleep on it and make the call in the morning.

BTW...Clark, Great posts today on GD.com.

James,

I talked to Jon today and WW will not up the CCC to 13,000#. They didn't give a reason, just "No". Great info on Washoe Metal, thanks.
Let me know what you find out. What time are you going to call WW?

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #88

I will call first thing....around 9:00 am......I know you need the higher weight...but in my situation I have about 1200 pounds more capacity than you....so I am fine even with the 12.300. I am going to push hard for 16" wheels.....and if they can't give me a higher rated tag I can live with that....but I want to know why not....they must have a reason.....I will PM you as soon as I have some info. As you know it may take the whole day to talk to someone who can really help me....I have never called anyone at WW yet, so I don't know how many people I will have to get through before I talk to someone with some authority. I will keep you informed......and I will post my info on the forums.

James

Old 07-12-2005, 09:42 PM   #89

Thanks James, I appreciate it.

When I called WW, 50% of the time I got voicemail, when I left a voicemail sometimes they never called back, so be persistent.

Wes
Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 AM   #90

I just talked with Max at WW....He told me the weight tag will never go above 13K because the hitch coupler has a 13K rating....so that is a limiting factor, along with the 6K pound axles....I explained my situation that I was willing to have my trailer lifted so 16" tires would fit. He will find out what the cost would be to upgrade to 16" wheels and tires. I have no idea what the price will be....but I do know that many 16" D rated tires are about the same price as the 15" E rated tire...So I would think no difference or maybe 10 bucks a wheel. I can't imagine a wheel would be that much more for a 16".....He promised to get back to me by Friday with the information. I don't know if he would up the tag to the 13K....it sounded like he might with the bigger tires. Wes you may want to give Max a call, he is at extension 140....mention my name and ask him about the higher tag rating.....the more I think about it, he said the tag cannot go above 13K and the only limiting factor for the 12,384 was the tires....so I would confirm that with him and mention you are interested in the option as well....maybe he will get back to us sooner....

James

Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 AM   #91

Thanks James....this is good info.....This isn't what Jon told me yesterday, I'm going to call Jon and see what he has to say.

Wes
Old 07-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #92

We started off carrying just 2-3 quads, now we're carrying the buggy and at least 2 quads, sometimes 3. We'd be hauling 4 quads and the buggy if I could load it up easily, but I'm lazy. So why do we end up carrying so many quads you ask? Well, besides our own, we usually have a guest or two along, so we're either carrying their quads or our spare. The point of all this is that unlike some folks, we're always carrying a full load, and then some.

Now, you might consider transfering some of that wieght to your TV if you're worried about legal issues. Throw a quad in the back of your truck or maybe add an aux. water tank in your bed and haul the majority of your water there.

I'd hate for you to pass on getting a trailer. There are stilll a ton of units available that will do the job for you, although I'm sure you spent a lot of time narrowing down the choices.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:40 PM   #93

Wes,

Any decision today?

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #94

My dealer and I took the FSC2800 to the CAT scale today to see exactly what it weighs. I was surprised considering all I've read about the stickers being wrong. It weighed in right at the sticker weight.

The coach is mine. I decided to pass on the free 15" E rated fix, and I'm going to pay to upgrade the tires. I have an appointment next week to get the two inch lift and install the 16" E rated tires.

I want to thank Mark at Weekend Warrior and
Mountain Family RV in Reno for working with me and making this work. I really appreciate all you are doing. I would recommend Mountain Family RV to anyone considering an RV purchase.

I also want to thank all of you for your advice and support.

I can't wait to get my hands on that beautiful Weekend Warrior.

Now, the family and I are off for a week in
Bodega Bay tomorrow. Mmmm. fresh seafood.

Wes
Old 07-14-2005, 09:52 PM   #95

Wes,

Good for you and your family!!! I know that this dream trailer turned into a nightmare for a while, but in the long run it's gonna be great. We will have to plan a trip to your area someday. Are you gonna try to join us for Moab in May? Would love to have you guys join the caravan from CA.

Enjoy your weekend, fresh seafood sounds great.

Be safe, have fun and take care.

Talk to you in a few days...

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #96

Thanks Clark........For awhile it was looking like we would miss the Moab trip, but now we're in for sure. I can't wait.

Sue and I would love to have a get together here.

Wes
Old 07-15-2005, 05:25 AM   #97

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The coach is mine.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is great Wes!!!!

good call, I would have done the same.
(and I almost hate to ask this, but... when will it be here? )

and one other thing....
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...Now, the family and I are off for a week in
Bodega Bay tomorrow. Mmmm. fresh seafood.
Wes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My folks live inbetween Petaluma and Bodega Bay, a handful of miles away. Whenever my brother and i go up there to vist them, that is the place we go as well! ...eating crabs or whatever, the bay, the birds, ... that whole stretch of beach is great. Have a good time toyhauler!
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #98

Wes:

Great news! Gawd I'm glad you decided to go with it- I think you'll be very happy in the long run. Lots of teeth gnashing on THAT one, ey?

Take care...good luck...and hope to see you soon! Hope you're enjoying the week at Bodega!

Sean