Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Several years ago, when it occurred to me that i was primarily boondocking by myself out in the arrid gulch of the hot desert (east of I395), ...
... i realized that i was either going to have to become better with people or build myself a contraption to cool me off.
Here's the mister i then immediatly made:

It has a bucket, a water pump, some braided pressure line, some misters-carefully chosen, and quick disconnects that allow me to field strip this miserable contraption down upon need.

This is a pic that shows the quick-disconnects better:

And the water-pump w/disconnects:

And the package on my driveway:

In retrospect, i should also get a second water-pump, also on quick-connects, that i can use when i am in areas that aren't 125 degrees or higher, because this pump can cool off hades with the amount of water it sprays.
And brother, i am cool out there in the Mojave being cooled 'neath my mister.
But, say for areas closer whwere i live, i could use a pump that puts out half its volume.
The bucket lid has a pressure relief valve that allows me to "keep a lid on it" when i'm out there, and bugs don't decide to make their final stand in my bucket.

I also have a sau-cuzzi sort of half-height wall system, that sort of looks like an outhouse with the top half cut off that surrounds this whole thing. I have a half-moon cut into the walls.
I run a yellow extension cord from my trailer out to where i set up my 'half-outhouse sau-cuzzi with beer' and i sit in it sometimes for quite a while as extremely fine mists of almost invisible water gently cascades all over me.

Sometimes i drink beer in it when i am sitting in it.

Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #2

Several years ago, when it occurred to me that i was primarily boondocking by myself out in the arrid gulch of the hot desert (east of I395), ...
... i realized that i was either going to have to become better with people or build myself a contraption to cool me off.
Here's the mister i then immediatly made:

It has a bucket, a water pump, some braided pressure line, some misters-carefully chosen, and quick disconnects that allow me to field strip this miserable contraption down upon need.

This is a pic that shows the quick-disconnects better:

And the water-pump w/disconnects:

And the package on my driveway:

In retrospect, i should also get a second water-pump, also on quick-connects, that i can use when i am in areas that aren't 125 degrees or higher, because this pump can cool off hades with the amount of water it sprays.
And brother, i am cool out there in the Mojave being cooled 'neath my mister.
But, say for areas closer whwere i live, i could use a pump that puts out half its volume.
The bucket lid has a pressure relief valve that allows me to "keep a lid on it" when i'm out there, and bugs don't decide to make their final stand in my bucket.

I also have a sau-cuzzi sort of half-height wall system, that sort of looks like an outhouse with the top half cut off that surrounds this whole thing. I have a half-moon cut into the walls.
I run a yellow extension cord from my trailer out to where i set up my 'half-outhouse sau-cuzzi with beer' and i sit in it sometimes for quite a while as extremely fine mists of almost invisible water gently cascades all over me.

Sometimes i drink beer in it when i am sitting in it.

Mike
Old 08-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #3

As a former San Diego native & Escondido resident, I have also considered this type of system, & had several mister set up at the house. Never got everything together for the MH yet. Please give more info on pump, quick disconnects, & other parts used. Will come handy on return trips South.

Vern in Duvall, Wa..

2004 Vectra 40 AD Cummins 350 W/Banks power package
2004 PT Cruiser, GT, Turbo, w/5 speed
Blue Ox Avanta 3 & Blue Ox tow plate
W/Brake Buddy
Good Sam, long time Thousand Trails, & considering FMCA
Old 08-13-2005, 09:01 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Living on the Texas Coast your mist system sounds great. It would be nice to have a list of the parts you used and where to find them. My husband and are very interested in building one for ourselves to go on the awning, to use when camping with the Texas Boomers especially when we are camping in Tow, TX in the HEAT.

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas with those of us who live in the HEAT. I think its a great idea!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #5

My folks are hobby nurserers and we made a greenhouse for them for the 'delicates.' They primarily have outdoors roses and 'eatables' that are similarily fed with mist and drip. You can really get comprehensive with many acres, ...
...but for my sau-cuzzi ....
I have gotten misting systems from this place:
http://www.cloudtops.com/
and also built my own. You can use that website as a big help, and they have friendly folk on the other end of the phone.
I now get my individual nozzles locally in Petaluma when at my folks house, but read their FAQ on the website.
I prefer the mist that is so fine, you can barely even see it even if you squint.
stay cool,
FatDog
Old 08-13-2005, 11:48 AM   #6

This also works on the roof-top to cool a trailer by about 10 degrees Fahrenheit,

HOWEVER

you need to consider the mineral content in the water. A small note about my experience is on my web-site.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:02 AM   #7

FD, nice set-up. How long does a bucket of water last? We had a couple of those old stainless water fire extingushers laying around work so I'll try them for the water supply. I've seen a pretty good selection of nozzles at home deopt also.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:36 AM   #8

thats the good question there BB,
in retrospect i will get a pump with less volume to be able to toss into the system,
because the pump i have now will empty that bucket in a couple hours.
But, that couple hours out in the Mojave, will be the best 100 minutes you have ever had in your life. With the extremely fine mist-heads, it literally creates an invisible wall of water.
Out there you will almost have stray coyotes sitting underneath your awning with you wagging their tails in that mist.
I'll keep the same line and misters, but quick-release a smaller gph pump into the equation for when we camp in 85-110 degree weather. But for 115+ weather, i pull out 'The Super-Dog'

Actually giving up 5 gallons of water a day, for our scheduled 3pm sau-cuzzi, isn't bad anyway. Its just that Cordie don't take to the heat like I do and she wants to run the darn thing all day long.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Out there you will almost have stray coyotes sitting underneath your awning with you wagging their tails in that mist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy I sure am glad you inserted the word "almost" in there!!!

This is a really good idea! Those materials you used look a lot better than your typical Home Depot mist'r system. I got to hand it to you...camping out in 110+ weather puts you in the REAL-DEDICATED cateogry of RV'ing though.

DavidMc raised a good point, and I was wondering if you've experienced that ill-effect- have you had to worry about any mineral buildup?

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #10

i know that mineral buildup can take its toll.
And i don't know if there is any value in it, but once a year or so i'll make a homebrew of H2O, picklejuice (the BEST grill cleaner there is!! ), and white vinegar,... and let it spray thru the system.
I did learn though after the first time i did that, you don't necessarily want to sit underneath that one particular spray session.
My misters have continued to spray happily.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And i don't know if there is any value in it, but once a year or so i'll make a homebrew of H2O, picklejuice (the BEST grill cleaner there is!! ), and white vinegar,... and let it spray thru the system.
I did learn though after the first time i did that, you don't necessarily want to sit underneath that one particular spray session. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Picklejuice! Now that's got to be an original! I will definitely try that one out! (Hope the neighbors can handle the smell!).
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:42 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jodi and Larry, don't plan to use the mister in the humid south. All you will get is wet and not much cooler. The cooling comes from the mist evaporating and the drier the climate the more cooling you will feel.

A lot of days in central Texas will benifit from the mist, some days, not so good. On the Gulf Coast, the mister is more than useless since you are already wet. If the perspertion is not evaporating, the mist will not evaporate either.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #13

Fat Dog, I like your bucket solution.

I used Orbit for my portable mister. Home Depot sells their products.

CUL
Marco Polo

2500 HD Duramax
Marco Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #14

hey good job MarcoPolo,
that is a good source.
Good stuff there.

I needed something to keep me cool in the arrid desert. Boy it gets warm out there.
So i fill my bucket, with pressure release top, to the brim and walk it out the 20 or 30 feet to my sau-cuzzi, and plug 'er in.
Once in a while you just have to cool off the Don Quixote in you out there.