Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #15

Ramon:

Wow...thanks very much for the in-depth review of it! I'd be even more interested in what you find out from Dometic as to what your issues are, because they seem to be very valid.

I can't help but wonder if there is some type of potienometer (sp?) in the remote that will help you sych the temperature to the actual setting.

I like the idea of the remote because it would make things alot easier than hardwiring a bunch of stuff...please keep us aprised of your findings!

BTW...where did you get it and, if you don't mind me asking, how much?

Thanks again!

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #16

Yo WWF Bro..
We have the 13500 in the front... The thurmo is right on it... I don't use it much so I just reach up, turn on air or fan,, speed,, and set the thurmo to what is close... which is ice if we are needing the 2nd AC unit.. But remember one thing if you put one in... you CAN NOT run both AC's and your Microwave at the same time on 30 amp service or a 5.5kw gen set.. I'm sure we both have the same generator.. I have a switch (like a light switch) that give power to the microwave or the front AC...
If you need help putting it in,, just give a yell... I'll try and be out of town..
Naw.. I'll help ya..

2006 Ford King Ranch F350DW 4X4 w/Towpac 6.0
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #17

Sean.. it cost me about $30k

It came on my trailer. They are so new around here my dealer knows nothing about it. (service dept. anyway) I'll bet it is some kind of thermistor that might not be that accurate. I deal with them at work and they have various accuracies depending on $$$.

I'll keep ya posted

2006 2500 Dodge Megacab 5.9 Cummins, 48RE, Superglide
MrFixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aviator:
Yo WWF Bro..
We have the 13500 in the front... The thurmo is right on it... I don't use it much so I just reach up, turn on air or fan,, speed,, and set the thurmo to what is close... which is ice if we are needing the 2nd AC unit.. But remember one thing if you put one in... you CAN NOT run both AC's and your Microwave at the same time on 30 amp service or a 5.5kw gen set.. I'm sure we both have the same generator.. I have a switch (like a light switch) that give power to the microwave or the front AC...
If you need help putting it in,, just give a yell... I'll try and be out of town..
Naw.. I'll help ya.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo AvBro!

I'm hoping the microwave is the kicker...I would like to be able to run both AC's- if we have to turn one off to run the micro we'll do that...any problems there? If so, they also make a 11,000btu unit that should work, huh?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #19

Hi Sean,

I installed a second AC on my FSC....it was a 13.5 K btu Dometic AC unit. We have had no problems running both AC's at the same time...never once blown a breaker. I did upgrade my Electrical service to 50 amp.....if I didn't upgrade the electrical....the second AC was only going to work off the generator which is what Warrior recommended for the install....it wouldn't work when plugged into shore power. Hopefully you already have a 50 amp service...then you don't have to worry about it. I didn't actually change my existing 30 amp panel.....I just added a second panel and put a 20 amp breaker in it. The only thing wired to the second panel is the 2nd AC. I ran a romex wire from the new panel to the shorepower plug on the trailer. I then swapped out the 30 amp plug to a 50 amp plug which has a 4th prong. I wired the 2nd side of the generator outputs that were not hooked to anything and that feeds the new prong on the new plug I installed. I Lastly I replaced the shore power cord and plug to a 50 amp cord. The 4th wire from the cord hooks to a junction box where I ran the romex for the new panel. I wired the 4 prong cord into the junction box. So when I run the generator I have both circuits feeding the plug in the trailer. When I plug into a 50 amp service I have the power cord wired so 1 hot wire runs one electrical panel and the other prong runs just the 2nd AC. Hopefully that makes some sense.....bottom line is I have no power issues....I think I even am able to run the microwave with both AC's....can't remember. I think when we were using the microwave alot I turned off the front AC.
As far as you remote thermostat....I personally would just set the thermostat on the front AC. We usually set it to ICE cold on the second AC...but we could back it off and then it would cycle a little more. Has not been an issue not having the AC hooked into the factory thermostat......system works great.

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
James, did you install a 50 amp transfer switch or use a 50 amp receptacle at the generator to select which source of power?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 AM   #21

Howdy James!

Good to hear that...yes- we've already got 50amp service- I really think the only 'problem' is getting the unit up on the roof! We don't run the microwave that often, so turning off the front AC won't be a big deal- we're used to it because our old SLC had 2 ACs and a microwave, and like Del said, there was a switch to allow you to switch between them.

I like the remote idea alot and just need to get into an RV place and take a look at it and the setup. Like MrFixit, I'm a gadget guy also- but only if they work!

Mike is eluding to a question that I've pondered also: putting in a auto transfer switch, and once again, good 'ol Solar Seller & the IOTA ITS-50R-120 are there as an easy solution. The way WW positioned the 50a outlet to plug the RV into the genset is right in the way and very awkward. And I'll prolly upgrade the DLS30 to prolly a DLS75 in the process while I'm at it.

Good stuff! Thanks all!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #22

We had that same remote on an '05 Cougar. Possibly could have been "just ours" be we were REALLY dissapointed in the remote's performance. So much so that we wouldn't have another. Half the time the silly thing would not work. The icons are hard to see w/o magnifiers and the fan only icon is too similar to the auto fan & cool mode. We only kept the Cougar 5 months and the A/C (& remote) performance was one of the main reasons (other than almost a total lack of insulation) we got RID of it. Sorry for the long post, IMHO that remote is only worth my .02 cents.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 AM   #23

Hey Mr. Fixit,

I opted to stay with the receptacle....I purchased a 50 amp plug from home depot for around 10 bucks. I thought briefly about the auto transfer switch....It was one more thing to go wrong.... I am not crazy about winding that big 50 amp power cord and then getting it plugged into the receptacle in the trailer....as I think sean mentioned it is a tight fit in that little compartment. My situation may be a little worse because it was designed with the 30 amp cord....and the 50 amp cord is huge. We dry camp over 90% of the time. I plug the trailer in at home a day or 2 before we leave and then it stays plugged into the genset....so I couldn't justify the money and time for the little benefit it would add in my case. I am all for technology and I love all the little upgrades....I put in the second ac, satellite radio, satellite dish, invertor with several outlets in trailer, 5.5 water pump....etc... Auto transfer switch just didn't excite me enough I guess.

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #24

Hey James.. I think you were directing this towards Rv Wizard??. To comment.. I have been wanting to get a transfer switch for my set up for a while.. I am getting tired of plugging the cord into the generator receptacle. I know it is not that big of a task but when you have many little tasks when setting up, before you know it, an hour has gone by. The less I have to do when setting up/tearing down, the more time to spend with the family. In my case the 30A transfer switch is not that much as compared to the 50. Thanks for the input and sharing your installation.
Ramon

Old 08-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #25

Yo AvBro!

I'm hoping the microwave is the kicker...I would like to be able to run both AC's- if we have to turn one off to run the micro we'll do that...any problems there? If so, they also make a 11,000btu unit that should work, huh?[/QUOTE]

yeah,, it will work but I would put the switch in if possible. I know running wires is impossible in these things. I'll stick with the 13500..... but thats me.. I would rather have another 15k..

2006 Ford King Ranch F350DW 4X4 w/Towpac 6.0
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Anybody know how many amps the 13,500 HE low profile pulls in relation to the 11,000 HE low profile.

I'm thinking that if you keeps the amps low enough you can make do on a 30 amp circuit as long as you remember not to use the Microwave. Then you can turn one off long enough to use the other. sure beats rewiring just for those every now and then times you need it.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #27

According to this:
http://www.dometicusa.com/pdf/3109395.032.pdf

Smallest 11k draw is 8.5 amps and smallest 13.5 K is 11.0 amps. Not sure if these are the HE or not. They just might be. Still need to consider startup conditions for each.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:51 PM   #28

We ordered a 13.5 Dometic for a second a/c in our Rampage, it showed up today! Now the fun part, I have 50 Amp service, it's pre-wired, there is a breaker in the breaker box that says A/C, two breakers installed in genny already(Onan 5500). Any advice from you guys who have done this already??? Like how the *%#@ do you get it up there!?!? Thanks in advance, sEE yA...

06 Rampage 387
RRC/AMC is offline   Reply With Quote