Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #1

Hey ,Great site,Ive been roaming around this site for a yr or so,finally joined. I have a 2005 ww 26 fs I was wanting to add a cigarette lighter socket next to my stereo on the cabinet above our main sink to power a IPOD nano .Does anyone have any ideas /recomendations? I thought I could just buy an aftermarket one and tap into a hot wire of the stereo...any advice would be great.Thanks Dave
vtarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #2

Hey ,Great site,Ive been roaming around this site for a yr or so,finally joined. I have a 2005 ww 26 fs I was wanting to add a cigarette lighter socket next to my stereo on the cabinet above our main sink to power a IPOD nano .Does anyone have any ideas /recomendations? I thought I could just buy an aftermarket one and tap into a hot wire of the stereo...any advice would be great.Thanks Dave
Old 11-07-2006, 08:17 AM   #3

Dave,

It's about time you joined up. How's things going? Pick-up a cig lighter/ powerpoint from Pep Boys or ??? and mount it in the most accessible location that will work for you. You will need a power line and a ground line and place an inline fuse also. Should be very easy to install.

Let us know how things are going!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #4

Well ,Im glad i got a quick reply on the topic.I was thinking I might have to drop someone's (important) name around this forum to get some input. Guess I'll have to save your name for later Clark Thanks again . Heading out to Dove Springs Thurs pm till sun,not sure if I'll ride ,doing well ,I will call the station today Dave
Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #5

I have added a few 12 volt outlets ,but I have either tapped the fuse panel #20 or direct to battery #30 fuse.Dont know if radio wireing can handle a draw from an outlet,if you tapped that,most are #5.I am no expert but have fried enough wires in my day.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #6

Frank, I thank you for your advice,I have respect /fear of anything to do with electricity,and quite afraid of doing anything wrong . I just need to power the fm modulator/transmitter & ipod charger that uses a common feq not used by stereo...not sure if you know what im refering to. but as far as requirements it just says;input voltage;12-16vdc input current;1A@dc12-16v. anyone else put one of these in or have ideas/input.Thanks Dave
Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1A@dc12-16v. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> , You should be fine with that amperage.Just fuse it so no one is tempted to plug a 12 volt coffee pot into it,or better yet a 12 volt hair dryer(they do sell em). Good luck and welcome to a great resource for info.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:26 AM   #8

Was at camping world yesterday, saw a nice flush mount socket with stainless face. Would look good in your application. Dove springs???? Good gawd man! The rally is right up the road, how could you miss all that fun? BB
Old 11-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #9

Franki/BB, Thanks for the ideas,I think I'll just use the one on the door wall, it should work and I would'nt have to mess up trailer. BB I know im right down the road@DS with 12 other toyhaulers/family,I already made plans ,maybe next time Id like to try out SH,have yet to ride there,is it simular(same type riding) to searles station AKA charlies place?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:53 AM   #10

Dave, sounds like you have your own rally! Can't comment on the riding there, first time for me. We are turning off at searles stn rd so I'm sure it's very close.

Also dont be afraid to pull that radio and put in a wall plug. Very easy, ground and power are right behind the radio. Probably 16ga wire so no power issues, just fuse it like others have said. I just pulled mine and put in a toggle to switch front speakers to outside. Have a great weekend and hope to meet ya out there sometime!
Mark