Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

Advice on toy hauler purchase

We are in the market for a toy hauler for the first time (have had several fifth wheel and tow behind units). We have narrowed our search to Grand Design Momentum, Dutchmen Voltage, and Keystone Raptor. We participate in reenactments and need to haul costumes, guns, and a mobility scooter. We are always dry camped in the woods or a field. Does anyone have advice on the most reliable of the three?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

We looked at all the toy haulers, landed on the 385TH as our choice. A lot of them are built more or less the same, with the same parts, GD just has the best factory support.

Runner up was a toss up with Raptor and XLR Thunderbolt. XLR seemed to have better factory support than Raptor, but the Raptor had the floor plans my wife liked more. I also like the Mor Ryde parts on the Raptor.

Voltage, we just couldn't like... They seemed way over priced. Even the V line was in the same price line as the high end momentum, without even the features of the M class!! No Led's, really? Non-ducted front AC?! For $100,000 MSRP?!.. But I digress.

Grand Design just seemed like the clear winner for us. My choice would have been the 328M, I really liked the size, tank sizes, build for the price, and a pretty good sized garage to boot.

In the end, we (Read Wife) decided the 385TH was the one for us. You can still find the 355TH for dirt cheap if you don't need the second restroom. It was my favorite of the floor plans.

Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #3

We are also looking at toy haulers, and love the Grand Design the best so far. We have looked at Jayco, Forest River, Heartland, and a few others that I remember. The Heartland Edge is probably our runner up, but doesn't really come close for us.

I am really interested in the Evergreen Tesla, but haven't seen one in person yet.

Mike
Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane View Post
I am really interested in the Evergreen Tesla, but haven't seen one in person yet.

Mike
That's about the only one we haven't seen yet, they seem pretty rare.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

We are also looking at Toy haulers, my wife, daughter and I will spend 2 years living in it full time.

So I have spent the last four months studying, looking and asking everyone we could advice about best manufacturing. There is a great deal of information to learn and digest. Hours also spent traveling to different dealerships looking at the different models.

We finally picked the Forest Rivers XLR brand. The XLR Thunderbolt 420amp will be delivered June 15th time frame.

Grand Design did not have the floor plan we where looking for our family. The XLR brand is the only full time dedicated lines only manufacturing Toy Haulers. That is a big deal in my option. Consistency in manufacturing normally provides great quality. The XLR Thunderbolt seems to be a very good product. We will find out in a couple of weeks : )
Old 05-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

The XLR looks pretty nice, I'll have track one down.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We traded our Cyclone 4100 for our current DP. Had it for 3 years with minimal problems. It had an industry 1st King size bed and was a residential King. The bathroom was huge with a sunken tub/shower, and dual doorways. My only complaint was we couldn't access the fridge with the slides in. We already miss the garage and the patio. We carried a full size Weber gas grill in the garage and cooked for as many as 30 people out on that patio. Used the garage as a buffet room. Good luck on your search
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	95707  
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Another vote for XLR Thunderbolt. The factory support after the sale is second to none. Their standards and options are more expansive than most other lines too. Plus, they will do customizations from the factory. I asked Voltage about adding one off list option, a LP quick connect for our grill, and their sales rep told me they were just to big and busy to handle special requests. XLR did five off list options for me and would have done more... and were happy to do them. One was painting the rig a custom color to match my truck... Also, when you shop, remember MSRP is total nonsense. We got 36% off the fake MSRP with no haggle on a special order rig.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #9

So is it safe to assume 35% off the discounted MSRP? Is it better to assume 35% off the initial MSRP?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
So is it safe to assume 35% off the discounted MSRP? Is it better to assume 35% off the initial MSRP?

There is no discounted MSRP. The MSRP is what it is. It's artificially inflated from the manufacturer but it's the only one there is. So, figure 35% minimum off that number. Maybe more on an in stock rig that they are trying to move... last years model etc...
Old 06-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #11

Looking to upgrade to a larger 5th wheel. What size trucks are you all pulling these big trailers with?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Mines in my signature line. 2012 F350 single rear wheel, short bed, super cab, 6.7 diesel.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #13

Mine's in my sig too, way overkill, but I wanted to much rather than to little truck.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #14

Quote:
We are also looking at toy haulers, and love the Grand Design the best so far. We have looked at Jayco, Forest River, Heartland, and a few others that I remember. The Heartland Edge is probably our runner up, but doesn't really come close for us.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namlehse View Post
That's about the only one we haven't seen yet, they seem pretty rare.
We have a dealer here in MN the has them and we really liked them. Nicest of the ones we looked at, and really well built. But they were out of our budget...

Tags
advice, purchase