Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #1

Hi All!
Long time-no post!

I'm finally getting around to purchasing an air bag/compressor kit for my 2003 F-250, I'm also wondering if I will need the 5 gal. air tank also? or is it just overkill? Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe having the compressor is overkill also. Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

FIP-2071

FIP-2168

2005 Attitude 26'FSAK
Crime Pays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #2

Hi All!
Long time-no post!

I'm finally getting around to purchasing an air bag/compressor kit for my 2003 F-250, I'm also wondering if I will need the 5 gal. air tank also? or is it just overkill? Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe having the compressor is overkill also. Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

FIP-2071

FIP-2168

2005 Attitude 26'FSAK
Old 07-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had 2 motorhomes and one F350 with airbags and none of them had an air compressor on board. I have an air compressor in the garage and use it on the occassion that I need to air up the bags.

Ken
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 PM   #4

Hey CP: Yeah...been a while!!

I've had it both ways...on my first TV, I got the compressor, but the recent install I did on our F350, I didn't bother with it- IMO it is a little overkill because you wind up setting it at a single setting then leaving it (or at least I did). What I did is put the fill valve by the license plate, and put an additional air hose up in the front compartment of the TH so I can use it to air up the bags.

Either way, you'll love what airbags can do for the ride! Good luck!

Sean
Old 07-31-2006, 01:00 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
For some reason the search engine isn't working today. I hate to beat a dead horse but please are you talking about air bags on the truck to make it ride better? I HATE HATE HATE the ride of our F250 it is very bumpy and of course all of the wonderful road maintenance does not help. When we are pulling the camper it rides much better. However I want to improve that ride also. I am looking for information on a possible Easy Rider Hitch, or Air Ride Hitch, or the Trail Aire pin box adaptor. Any feebback will be apreciated. Also should we add something to the axles. Now we just have Monroe shock absorbers. Also what is best to add to the truck to improve ride.

Thank you in advance, Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:38 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey CP: Yeah...been a while!!

I've had it both ways...on my first TV, I got the compressor, but the recent install I did on our F350, I didn't bother with it- IMO it is a little overkill because you wind up setting it at a single setting then leaving it (or at least I did). What I did is put the fill valve by the license plate, and put an additional air hose up in the front compartment of the TH so I can use it to air up the bags.

Either way, you'll love what airbags can do for the ride! Good luck!

Sean
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey thanks Sean, I went ahead and took your advice and just ordered the air bags now all I need to do is find out how much psi. I'll need for various towing situations such as bikes, full water, gear..... and also the no water, no bikes trips. Should be a piece of cake.

Thanks again
CP

2005 Attitude 26'FSAK
Old 07-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #7

CP:

FWIW...I found that 70psi was a good overall setting for a 37' TH weighing about 13,000- I don't know how to factor the 4x4 in, but I think you'd be close. If you're talking about a 1,000 or so variance in your TH weight, it won't make that much of a difference in your psi setting.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #8

I almost always set it at 70 psi when I tow. I usually have 900 pounds tounge weight and about 1500 in the bed plus full fuel and the family. I once loaded 4000 lbs of rock in it and the truck was perfectly level at 70 psi. Always leave about 10 psi in it when empty to prevent the bags from pinching, it'll ride a little rougher but they should outlast the truck if you take care of them. Just make it level when you get it hitched and use good shocks. What a difference when I added the Bilsteins!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:54 AM   #9

Nancy, Dont forget you are driving a SUPERDUTY truck. They call them superduty, or heavy duty for a reason and all heavy duty truck ride like a brick crap house. The air bag only help in keeping the load a little more stable. To be able to handle the load of a 12,000lbs. trailer you have to give up some ride quality. That's why you can't tow a trailer with a Buick. They don't have the suspention.

Changing shocks might help with the rebound the suspention produced, but it rides stiff because it has stiff springs. You take that away and you are left with a mini truck.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill & Nancy:
For some reason the search engine isn't working today. I hate to beat a dead horse but please are you talking about air bags on the truck to make it ride better? I HATE HATE HATE the ride of our F250 it is very bumpy and of course all of the wonderful road maintenance does not help. When we are pulling the camper it rides much better. However I want to improve that ride also. I am looking for information on a possible Easy Rider Hitch, or Air Ride Hitch, or the Trail Aire pin box adaptor. Any feebback will be apreciated. Also should we add something to the axles. Now we just have Monroe shock absorbers. Also what is best to add to the truck to improve ride.

Thank you in advance, Nancy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nancy...Rod's got it pretty well correct in his assessment. But there are a few things you can do to settle the ride down a bit. The shocks are a big factor, but only to the extent that if you pulla trailer, you need to still have some beefy ones. The airbags do help a little bit unloaded, but not much, and certainly NOT AT ALL if you forget to air them down after pulling.

As far as the Trailair or any other air hitch, the same applies- only good when you're towing. Your best bet is to take the tire pressures down to what the MFR's sticker says (but always use FULL tire-rated prssure when towing), and replace the shocks if they show any signs of wear. Other than that, pay you taxes, and write alot of letters to your DOT to fix the roads (yeah...right! ).

Unfortunately, there is no vehicle out there that is meant to ride like a car, yet perform like a truck. If someone puuurports to have one, then I'd bet there's a little less they have in the "either/or" department.

Good luck!

Sean
Old 08-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #11

I had a truck with air bags and wished I had the comp and gage to set it by. Sometimes I would want more air on the road and it wasnt always easy to get air. I guess what I'm saying is I would get the compressor but not the tank. I dont think the compressors are that much any way.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Rod and Sean, thanks so much for the education. I had a good laugh. You are right I want a Caddy ride on an F250 with tow package.

My husband does not want to change air in the tires for me --- because he is towing often and would always be putting air in or out of the tires. So he inflates them to the mfg suggestion and leaves them there. (I hate when he is logical)
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #13

Nancy:

That'll work...the only time I remember to AIR DOWN is when I hafta think about AIRING UP, and then I don't have to! Can't seem to ever remember that when we get home...

Take care!

Sean
Old 08-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #14

I typically air up the bags to 50 psi prior to hooking up the trailer. That keeps the truck level and the trailer just a hair nose-down. Very stable towing.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote