Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
On mine, WWFan's, and '56s, WW met the promised schedules. Even beat them by a day or two.
And a funny thing that as I recall one of you guys noticed,
people who have ordered the same model seem to get them on the same day.
WW probably produces batches of similar models at the same time.

'56 and I ordered ours about a week different from each other, but were given the same delivery day.

Good luck guys

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #16

C.CARNEY,

We have an F250 PSD 4X4 Crew cab. Rated at 16,500 lbs. The truck came with the optional camper kit and looks like it has an overload leaf spring on top of the main leaf spring set. Not sure if I will need bags. How will I be able to tell.

I ordered the unit with flipped axles as we go to Pismo and want to keep my sewer drains attached. Lol

I looked at the install PDF and it does not show this extra leaf in the drawing.

I will try and call Haulin Toys in the morning and see if the know as they are the selling dealer here in Ventura County, CA

With the few grand saved in the selling price I can swing for bags if needed.

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
cboh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #17

cboh1,

That leaf spring comes with the camper package. my 1 ton has the same spring setup, but I still installed the bags. With my Alfa, when I have it on the truck, the back of the truck settles down approx 2". I don't hit the overload spring with normal down the road driving, but when you hit the washboard stuff the springs will collapse to the overload without the airbags filled. With 40-50 lbs of air in the bag, it prevents the truck from hitting the overload spring and just gives the truck a more stabile ride. Personally I would install them on your truck, even with the camper package springs. You probally have a sway bar also in the back, don't you?

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:30 AM   #18

Have the bags installed in my half ton. When hitched, pin weight of 1000-1100 lbs drops truck about 2". fifty lbs of air keeps everything level. Dry weight of 5er is only 5700, So over all a nice light combination.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:45 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
Thanks Griz,(suspention-connection link) you just saved me $400. Pretty close to the same one that 4WP has. Where do you ride? We just got back from Coral Pink Sand Dunes in SW Utah. We mostly go to Dumont or the local surrounding dessert, but I'll ride anywhere, as long as I get to ride. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Melon:

Hey...welcome to iRV2 and the "gang"...we're REAL big on Dumont and the high desert...hopefully we can get a trip together with this gang soon (certainly NOT the desert until about October though!)...

Re: airbags...I've got the Airlifts, and I love them- big difference...it was a few years ago, but I believe I paid about $550 installed from a local RV shop)...if you can- get the onboard compressor...it's sweet (and it was part of the $550).

We were going on our Utah trip later this month but after the new SLC and then needing a new F350 (hopefully picking it up today- all's a 'go'), we ran outta time- usually go just above the Escalantes...but I've heard ALOT about the Pink Corral Sand Dunes...how do they stack up to Dumont (and I could care less about Glamis to tell you the truth- too many crazies, and yes- that's the Pot calling the Kettle 'Black'!).

Hey..have fun, ya hear?

Sean
Old 06-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">C.CARNEY </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
C.CARNEY

Thanks,

I do have sway bar. But it looks like my brake in will be in the way of air bags. Also the bump stops are using the holes in the frame that the air bags go. The bump stops are round like on a TJ Jeep

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #21

I just called Firestone and they said on the 2005 truck they are working on a new design for the airbags as the fifth wheel brackets interfere with the air bag brackets.

They said they are changing the design to go under the frame rail instead on the side of it.

Update.

The shop that is installing my 5th wheel hitch is going to do the bags installed for $400.00 including the mod needed. Is that a good deal?

And I am going to install a 20,000 lb hitch just for the heck of it.

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #22

cboh1:

Good choice...this is definitely a case where "more is better"!

And $400 for airbags? Does that include the onboard compressor & gauge?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #23

$400 installed is a great deal if you get the compressor and gauges. 4WP want like $900 for Airlift. And with all everyone had said, no matter what the price is sounds worth it. You can scrimp on upgrades and bells and wistles, but not safety. Especially on So. Cal. freeways. On to riding, WW Fan, Coral Pink is amazing. It's at about 6800 feet ele., so imagine pine tree growing in between sand dunes. The dunes are anything but challenging, so great for new or nervious riders. Unlike Dumont which go straight up and down. I dont go to Glamis anymore either, if fact I have only taken my Super Lite their one time. Too many crazies. Ever since Thankgiving 2002, not really the place to take the family. As far as I know, mid September is when we might go back to Coral Pink. The weather is the only challenge(it snowed on us last month) but I think it should be pleaseant in Sept.

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #24

No compressor or gauges. That is for parts and labor. I was going to do it myself but when Firestone told me that if a 5th wheel was installed the current kit would not work.

We have a place here in town that does nothing but hitches 5th wheels ECT. They have been doing this for the past 30 years here.

They said they had to do a mod to the brackets. If someone has any other thoughts please let me know. I am supposed to have this done next week.

I figured if the Tech support people at Firestone say it will not bolt right on then for an extra hundred bucks to get a warrantee are worth it.

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey man, its only money, go for it. God, I love it when someone else is spending money beside me! Not saying if it will help but what the heck.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #26

I hope it helps

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #27

cboh1,

Remember you can always add a guage and compressor later, getting the setup installed properly is worth it. Jsut get a good air pressure guage that you can check and add air accordingly. I know you will really like the air bags.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #28

Thanks Clark,

Where is the best location for the valve stems for now?

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4