Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #43

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dumont </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Can you tell us more about Dumont?

We are in Newbury Park, CA

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
cboh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #44

Yeah, we are about 15 minutes from Disneyland, and it takes me about 3.5 hours to get to Dumont with a full trailer having to go up the Cajon(sp) Pass. It's up the 15 then down the 127 (Baker, the big thermometer) towards Death Valley about 45 minutes. One of the best things about Dumont is that there are big dunes for the big kids, and little dunes for the little kids. Just off to the right of 127, before the turn off, is a spot of small dunes that are smaller and roll a lot smoother... perfect for kids and moms.
Then, a bit further down is the turn off for the big dunes, (unmarked dirt road off to the right). To describe these dunes you would have to use what is called the Angle of Repose meaning that the sand is stacked on such a steep angle that it starts to fall back on its self. Camping it great because the staging area is huge and flat as a pancake. Riding is great, just go slow the first time, or have someone who has been there before lead. Its full of razor backs that drop off suddenly, so there is not a whole lot of going in a straight line from point A to point B. One big comp hill, no sand drags. Enough room for eveyone to have a good time. The weather is simple, hot in the summer, (down the street from Death Valley)cold in the winter, and you might get surprised with an occasional wind storm. In 7-8 years of going there I have only gone home once because of the weather.
When I take delivery we are going to Utah for a family reunion, but I will probly go to Dumont one of the next following weekends. I'll let you know and if it works out maybe we can meet up.

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #45

We started going to Dumont back in 1991. It is the best place to take your family, as Melon stated there is terrain for everyone. My kids were 8 & 6 when we started going there. I never felt that it was unsafe for them. We always backed up to a sand finger, marked off an area with traffic cones and barrior tape, and let them have fun. I never felt safe at Glamis with the kids, we had people ride right thru the camp numerous times.

Dumont road in is a 3 mile washboard dirt graded road, you will find everything that is loose in your rig. That road is what keeps alot of people from going there. Of course, the major weekends are busy, I've seen it really crowded there, but if you pick an off weekend, or even a middle week day, you could almost have the place to yourself. I found some old pictures recently where there was just one other camp there with us.

Like melon said, the weather ranges from hot to cold, sometimes windy, which is good to smooth out the dunes. Watch out for razorbacks, some very sharp drops.

but it is some of the best riding around to be had!!!

Have fun, just thinking about it makes me want to go back.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #46

We love Dumont- just don't go there if you don't like crowds and it's President's Day...otherwise, it's pretty good. Not Glamis' size, but like everyone says, plenty of sand for everyone, little or BIG.

And Clark's right on...the road going in is absolutely Washboard City, but I think he'll aagree with me that haven't had to tighten a bolt (or nut) yet in my Ford , so if you're on the right side of THAT fence, you'll be fine!

I take both sets of tires for my sandrail...there's some great mtn trails that go forever out there, so I'll put on the rock tires and we have a blast. In fact, I think we spent the last time there more on the trails than we did on the sand (I hate that...we do desert all the time, then go to the sandhill and ride desert!).

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #47

Well I got the 5er draw-tite hitch installed today and Firestone air bags but I have a couple of questions.

They ran one air line and installed a teeto each bag. They said since I was not hauling a camper it was better to use a single air line.

2nd they had to weld one of the 5er hitch brackets to the frame as there were not holes in the frame.

Any thoughts?

Also they said to run about 10 psi in the bags when empty true?

Thanks

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #48

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cboh1:
Well I got the 5er drwa-tite hitch installed today and Firestone air bags but I have a couple of questions.

They ran one air line and installed a teeto each bag. They said since I was not hauling a camper it was better to use a single air line.

2nd they had to weld one of the 5er hitch brackets to the frame as there were not holes in the frame.

Any thoughts?

Also they said to run about 10 psi in the bags when empty true?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cboh1:

First, I prefer to have one line- that way you are guaranteed to have the same pressure in both bags, unless there's some reason why you'd want two different settings.

Second, the welding part I know nothing about, but would start to wonder if they got the right installation. I also prefer it to be bolted- a welded bracket is better if you're a hypocondriac, but those grade 8 bolts can tighten pretty darn good.

Third, YES...you'll want to drain the bags when you're not pulling, otherwise it'll be like someone welded a bar from your frame to the axle. BIG difference....

Glad to see some progress...carry on, Garth!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #49

WWFan

Thanks for the response.
They only welded one bracket and it was the left rear as on the other side of the frame, behind this bracket is the shock mount that is riveted to the frame and no holes for the hitch bracket rails.I guess I was wondering if it was better, worse or the same. The only other issue I had was they had cut the bracket in the middle to clear the rivet in the frame and looked like the weld may need a few more weld stitches.

I went with the 20,000 lb hitch but found it funny that they only use 4 brackets from the frame to the base rails and then four bolts just in the bed and to the base rails.

The install book they gave me shows this install less the welding.

Guess I just want to be safe.

This may also be a dumb question now but is there a difference in pin size between a 20,000 lb hitch and a 15-16,000 lb hitch?

Next question what size, quantity and type of tie downs for the TJ Jeep, 3900 lbs. WW is installing (6) 5,000 lb flush mount tie downs.

Thanks

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #50

cboh 1,

They welded my 5th wheel cross bar bracket to the frame and I have driven my trailer half way across the country with out any problems.

Now a buddy of mine asked to have his bolted because he claims they flex better under stress when they are bolted. I guess the frame is going to flex no matter what, so six to one, half a dozen to the other. I think you'll be fine either way. I personaly am a fan of welding, so you have probly figured out in my past postings.

Now if I'm not misstaken, I believe all king pins are the same size from RV's right on up to semi trailers. I could be wrong, but I dont think so.

As for staps, I can't help you. What you got is way bigger than what I got. I would say in your case, go as big as you can. Just dont forget to alway cross strap a large vehicle like that, especialy in a TH. You dont want that thing swinging from side to side. Plus, WW wont warranty the walls if that thing comes loose and brakes one of the studs in the wall. They got some real good detectives in service down there.

Good Luck

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #51

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">melon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
melon

Thanks for the reply,

That makes me feel much better.

Ours is due on July 23rd also. Its like we are waiting for the eggs to hatch...lol

Thank You

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next question what size, quantity and type of tie downs for the TJ Jeep, 3900 lbs. WW is installing (6) 5,000 lb flush mount tie downs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey guy, I tie mine down with chains and J hooks up front to the axle with two 10k straps on the rear crossed to the axle. This lets the body ride on the suspension while holding the vehicle. The J hooks up front are just straight to the axle on both sides while the straps on the rear are criscrossed to prevent sideways movement.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #53

Ok now I see You use the rear straps to take up the slack, am I right. Any chance you may have some photos?

Thanks

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I do but they are on my webshots page. go look at the url in my sig and take a look at the picts with the vette in, can't remember if the jeep is shown or not but I tie them both down the same in the rear. Actually, thats why I use the hooks up front too. Kind of makes it a "fits all vehicle" type tie down. When carrying one of the vettes I use the J hooks in the a arms and with the jeep I use them around the axle housing tubes.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:45 PM   #55

Vette Racer. Got it. What are the ratings on the rear straps?

Also how did you fasten the front chain to the flush mounts in the floor?

Thanks

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 06-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
cboh1

I just use the open face hooks that you normally find on the end of a chain to hook to the tie downs with the J hooks on the other end.

The straps are a 10k rated ratchet type with a hook with safety latch on the end.

Go to any wrecker supply and they will have it all.