Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #1

Air conditioning duct flow question

Have a new to me 2011 Keystone Raptor 300MP. When the AC in the kitchen runs all the air flows straight down into the coach. I can look up into the unit and see the blower. There is nothing to restrict the flow so it is forced into the ductwork so there is air into the bedroom. It has louvers on the sides to open for more flow into the main part of the coach, which would make sense if there was something to restrict the flow in the first place. Am I missing a shroud inside the cover or something?
Thanks
Rob
Dragracer_Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #2

What is the make and model of your air conditioner? The inside "ceiling unit" is sold separately from the air conditioner in most instances, perhaps your ceiling unit is not original from mfgr.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What is the make and model of your air conditioner? The inside "ceiling unit" is sold separately from the air conditioner in most instances, perhaps your ceiling unit is not original from mfgr.
There are no markings on the unit itself. Controls are on the wall.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #4

The data-plate will be underneath the air conditioner shroud on the roof. It is held in place with (usually) 4 screws on each side at the bottom. It lifts off, take care not to damage/bend the aluminum fins.
The ceiling unit must have damper to divert chilled air straight down or into the ceiling ductwork.
Does your ceiling unit look like any of these pictures mixed in with pictures of air conditioners? When you click on a picture it tells you what it fits.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 09-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #5

Look at the pic in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The data-plate will be underneath the air conditioner shroud on the roof. It is held in place with (usually) 4 screws on each side at the bottom. It lifts off, take care not to damage/bend the aluminum fins.
The ceiling unit must have damper to divert chilled air straight down or into the ceiling ductwork.
Does your ceiling unit look like any of these pictures mixed in with pictures of air conditioners? When you click on a picture it tells you what it fits.
Question: How to Identify Ducted AC - Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

This looks like mine. It seems like there should be some kind of diverter between the blower and the grill.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #6

Speaking about the air conditioner ceiling units in our last 5er, when I closed the side-vents all chilled air was directed into the ceiling ductwork. The center section was return air intake. If chilled air blew out the center section it meant the plenum was not sealed, which allowed chilled and return air to mix. This resulted in the chilled air being just a few degrees lower than the temperature in the 5er, not a good situation.
I re-sealed my plenums with aluminum duct tape, which allowed the air conditioners to perform as designed.
Look up the installation manual and service manual, for your make/model air conditioner( I assume you found your data-plates) here: Service Documents and Manuals
I have concluded most RV mfgrs. do not adhere to mfgr. installation instructions.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #7

our a/c has a diverter that forces all the air down to the living area for rapid cooling. you just slide the tab one way or another to get air thru the ducts or big air just coming down from the unit..we have a coachmen freedom express. your unit may be similar. look for a tab on the face of the return air grill
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #8

It sounds like someone has removed the metal plate that closes off the direct downward flow. My Colemans have a metal plate between those shutters you spoke of. The plate forces the air into the ducts. The plates are very poorly attached and can fall out when the cover is removed. Try installing a plate and see if it directs the air to the bedroom.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioning