Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:24 AM   #1

We are in need of some input from this community.
We currently have a stock Victory Lane TH and are planning a trip to Aklaska this summer. I would like to change the current pin box and suspension to air or at least a more flexible setup than the very SOLIDsetup we currently have.
There are currently 3 different systems, with 3 different prices that I am looking into. Can anyone give me the Pro's and Con's of thier current setup.
We did a bit over 14,000 miles with the current setup last summer and it wasn't bad, but we would like to smooth things out a bit, (older age, you know).
Thanks for all the good advice I know is on the way.

Jim & Janet

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2007, 07:24 AM   #2

We are in need of some input from this community.
We currently have a stock Victory Lane TH and are planning a trip to Aklaska this summer. I would like to change the current pin box and suspension to air or at least a more flexible setup than the very SOLIDsetup we currently have.
There are currently 3 different systems, with 3 different prices that I am looking into. Can anyone give me the Pro's and Con's of thier current setup.
We did a bit over 14,000 miles with the current setup last summer and it wasn't bad, but we would like to smooth things out a bit, (older age, you know).
Thanks for all the good advice I know is on the way.

Jim & Janet

Old 02-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I assume you're discussing a 5th wheel pin box? If so, I highly recommend the TrailAir -- we went to this pin box when we purchased our HDT TV and it has reduced the shock to the fiver as a result of our stiff truck suspension. I was concerned that I might damage the 5th wheel frame from the excessive pounding.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #4

I want to jump on this thread also. I have though about this up-grade as well and was wondering if it would be too mushy with the Air-ride kingpin box. I also saw somewhere about a soft ride 5er hitch and was wondering if anyone knew about that. I am thinking about up-grading both of them.

Rod (O===O)

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #5

TrailAir offers on their web site the centerpoint suspension and the air pin box. The air pin box is worth every penny of its price. Just watching it work in the rear view mirror can be addictive. It definitely reduces bounce. The centerpoint suspension will smooth out the trailers ride for sure. I understand that if you call them they have a new product that is suppose to be better yet.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailair has a product called EQUA-FLEX that is a replacement for standard rigid equalizers. Was about $500 for 2 axel setup, but I don't know of anyone that has one in use yet.
Thier air ride pin box is about $150 more than 5th air and I haven't got prices from Mor-Ride yet
Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #7

I have actually installed two of the Trailair pin boxes on different fivers I own. They do what they say they will and I highly recommend them. I also use the HDT for my toter and needed to soften the ride. Great product for sure. I have purchased the Trailair hitch for my next project and can't wait to see how well it works.

David
Old 02-09-2007, 05:31 AM   #8

Pics of the TrailAir. I installed it the same day I picked up the LE3505. I run about 90 PSI in the bag and also have the Firestone ride rites on the truck at 60-80psi when fully loaded. I can't tell you the difference with the new pin because I never towed without it for comparison but I can say I love it when hitting some of are more famous American bridge abutments pot holes and dips! You can see it working in the rearview, it moves about 2-4 four inches depending on how severe the bump in the road. Worth every penny to me. Only negitive is it weighs about 3 times more than the stock pin.
Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #9

I got the Trail Air pin box on my WW LE3305 when I bought it. Dont know what its like to not have one but I can tell you that the roads and bridges out here in Florida are not so great and I can see the pin box doing its thing and NOT feel the trailer. Again, no idea what its like without it.

2006 WW LE3305 w/Trail Air pinbox
kford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #10

After visiting Trailair's Website (which BTW, has been extremely improved over the last couple of years) I am thoroughly impressed and am going to do this mod ASAP- no bout-a-doubt-it.

I''M curiuous if anyone has done the Center Point add? That looks schweeeet!!!

On Edit: added website pic and shortcutted to Systems Forum.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
After visiting Trailair's Website (which BTW, has been extremely improved over the last couple of years) I am thoroughly impressed and am going to do this mod ASAP- no bout-a-doubt-it.

I''M curiuous if anyone has done the Center Point add? That looks schweeeet!!!

On Edit: added website pic and shortcutted to Systems Forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our trailer came with the Pin Box installed. We had ordered the Centerpoint suspension, too but it wasn't installed due to a missing part.

The air pin box does a really good job of softening the up and down pounding on the king pin. If you look in the mirror, you can see the air bag damping the up and down motion (especially noticable on the concrete highways around here) We had used the trailer a couple of times before the centerpoint suspension was installed. It was a noticable upgrade to the ride. Our trailer stays planted on the road even in strong crosswinds or when a semi passes (even in the opposite direction). In addition, there is no movement of anything inside our cabinets, too.

I'd do these again if I was buying a new trailer.

The other nice thing about these is that if you should lose air pressure (one of the airlines on our centerpoint was mis routed and the tire rubbed a hole in it), the system reverts back to how it was before the system was installed. You will not damage it. You just won't get any of the benefit of the air bags. All in all, a very well thought out design.

Juan

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted February 08, 2007 06:31 PM Hide Post
Trailair has a product called EQUA-FLEX that is a replacement for standard rigid equalizers. Was about $500 for 2 axel setup, but I don't know of anyone that has one in use yet.
Thier air ride pin box is about $150 more than 5th air and I haven't got prices from Mor-Ride yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just took delivery of a new Alumascape Suite 36RLQ on Jan 24. It has the EQUA-FLEX system installed from the factory, cost ordered on the unit new was $175.00. I have only pulled it about 800 miles so far, but it really does a good job of smoothing out the ride. This system is simular in operation to the Mor-Ryde, and a lot cheaper if ordered on the unit from the factory. This is my 3rd 5ver and 7th RV. I am looking to upgarade the pin box next.
Keep her between the white lines !!!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #13

I really like my Trailair. I had Center Point suspension on my last trailer and really liked it. My new trailer has torsion axles, I miss the Center Point.
2000 Volvo 660 425hp 1550ft/lbs torque, 15 speed. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS (40'10") triple slide 5'er, Trailair pinbox, Onan 5500 Marquis Platnum, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, 2003 Harley Davidson Road King. 3 Polaris Sportsman quads, 94
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:44 AM   #14

I would highly recommend considering installing the Advanced Air Ride Hitch. While Trail Air can cushion the up/down motion, it can not reduce fore/aft movement known as chucking. The air ride hitch not only reduces up/down motion, it reduces chucking. The hitch stays with truck when you trade fivers - - the odds of the pin box fitting the next fiver are slim requiring buying another new one.

Bob