Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #1

Air ride pin box??

We are new to the 5th wheel world. We just traded our DP in for a Voltage V3950 TH. We are towing it with a Dodge mega cab (short bed). What kind of hitch would be good for me? I hear good things about the 5th Airborne Sidewinder. I need a slider or similar. Thank you, Pat.
FEDS4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #2

Hi Pat,
We are also looking at large toy haulers and will be towing with a Mega Cab. Just wanted to see what your experience has been so far towing your new trailer.
Thanks!
huckjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckjones View Post
Hi Pat,
We are also looking at large toy haulers and will be towing with a Mega Cab. Just wanted to see what your experience has been so far towing your new trailer.
Thanks!
Hi and welcome to the forum. I normally in the 5th wheel forum and I do not normally check out the toy hauler forum.
I also tow with a 2008 Dodge Mega Cab a 318SAB Cougar. I have no issues towing this size trailer. I have weighed the trailer and truck combination and my weights are as follows; GFAW 4940, GRAW 5160, Trailer Axle weight 8140 and Combine Gross Weight 18,240 LBS.
Do you have a 1 ton DRW or a SRW truck, or is this a 3/4 ton truck?
I would check out this web site for tow vehicle information.
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf
I have installed a slider hitch manual and a TrailAir pin box.
Jim W.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #4

Thanks Jim,
My truck is a 3500 SRW 4x4 with 4:10 gears, auto
I'm looking at a 40 ft toy hauler.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckjones View Post
Thanks Jim,
My truck is a 3500 SRW 4x4 with 4:10 gears, auto
I'm looking at a 40 ft toy hauler.
Hi, Sorry I was not on the computer yesterday so this is the first time that I have seen your response.
I do not think the length has any issue with pulling a 5er or toy hauler. What does matter is trailer gross weight and what your truck can handle safely. You will need to review the truck GAW weights both front and rear. The tire and rim allowable loads and what is the gross combined weight allowed by Ford for your style of vehicle.
Take my truck as an example: The front GAW is 5200 LBS, my actual weight is 4940 LBS. The rear GAW 6010 LBS, my actual weight is 5160 LBS. My combined weight GCWR is 20,000 LBS, my actual is 18,240 LBS.
These are safe weights to tow with a 2500HD RAM Diesel truck.
Jim W.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #6

Thanks Jim,
In considering a toy hauler. The floor plan that would suit us best is the Raptor 365 LEV.
One issue I am concerned with is I think it might be a bit much for my truck. My tow vehicle is a Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab SLT 4x4 with 4:10 gears and a 6.7 Cummins Diesel. I've upgraded from the stock tires to a wider Nitto Terra Grappler (305/70-17) rated for 3640 lbs. With this trailer I would be within all specs except for payload. Payload cap. is 2970 lbs and the listed weight for the 365 is 2970 lbs. so I would definitely be over on payload but I believe I would still be under the 6200 lb rear GAWR and within the 16,7000 lb trailer weight cap. GCWR is 24,000 lbs. GVWR is 10,100 lbs.
I'm not real comfortable with the pin weight but was hoping to get some tales of real world experience with this trailer and a mega cab or similar set up. The listed payload for the 2009 DRW 4x4 Mega is 2950 lbs so getting the dually would not have helped me capacity wise and I would find a different trailer before I would give up the mega cab. Just too used to the room now I guess.
If I did get one I would be hauling empty quite a bit and using it as a storage/ playroom for my 2 kids. How would that affect the towing vs. a loaded box?

Thanks, Dave
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #7

Huckjones
I have the 3602 which is the same trailer but with the electric couch. I pull this trailer with a 2007 3500 srw cc long bed and have probably towed 10,000 miles since purchasing this trailer in April last year. I have the trailair replacement pin box and the reese signature hitch and feel comfortable towing at any speed in any weather. I do not have a slider but do not believe that changes the towing dynamics. My truck is stock with stock size tires. Oh yea my wife usually takes EVEN the kitchen sink so I know I am always near gvrw although I have not weighed this trailer. My only complaint is it takes 50 acres to turn this thing around.
Fred P is offline   Reply With Quote