Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #1

I have a 2004 WW Super Lite 21 footer and need some advice.

I have found, just above the left wheel plastic cover, a few small "holes" in the aluminum siding. It looks like the aluminum has turned to shavings and is just puffing off there.

Any ideas on what it is from.

I'm taking it back to the dealer next week.

04 WW FK2100
Shotdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #2

I have a 2004 WW Super Lite 21 footer and need some advice.

I have found, just above the left wheel plastic cover, a few small "holes" in the aluminum siding. It looks like the aluminum has turned to shavings and is just puffing off there.

Any ideas on what it is from.

I'm taking it back to the dealer next week.

04 WW FK2100
Old 08-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Shotdir
first of all, Welcome to iRV2, and welcome to the ToyHauler area here as well !
... we'd like to hear where you take your 'hauler out to and how its been working out for you ... (other then the siding it sounds like unfortunately)

it would be interesting to see a pic of what you are describing, but a WW '04 model is 2, maybe 3 years old? and shouldn't be showing too much sign of corrosion. You live in extreme heat or on the beach? Is it the paint or the aluminum itself? The metal siding can be patched by R&R with another seam added, not like buffing out that gelcoat that everyone else (other then you and me) seems to prefer these days.
Both kinds of siding will show signs of aging, but after a couple years ???

again, Welcome !
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Hey, Mike, don't forget about me. I prefer aluminum also. Many better properties over Filon. As for the corrosion Shotdir, have you been to or close to the beach? Driving in the sand perhaps? Salt, even in a low dilution is probably the most corrosive threat to aluminum. Here is a suggestion I used in Florida to stop and prevent corrosion. Flush the area well with water and let dry. Get some of Walmarts copy of WD40 and spray it good. Check the other wheel well for road residue and clean them also..
Oh, Mike we aluminers should feel good about not haualing that extra 1200# with fuel prices where they are. Now. thats a very good thing!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #5

Hi guys,
Thanks for the help. I've been a lurker on here for about a year and picked up some great tips.

The holes are in the siding at the bottom aluminum strip just in front of the cover for the wheel well. There is a piece of steel behind the bigger hole that I can see and I can see some wood behind that.

I live in Riverside area and its in my yard, it's not wet here (lately) amd there is no salt breeze.

I've taken it on 3 long trips, they were:
1. to USAFA for a graduation via AZ, NM and back thru MT, WY, NV.
2. up the coast to OR & WA then back thru MT, WY, ID, NV last year.
3. New Mexico for 2 weeks this year.

Only beach it was close to was Coos Bay for 2 days and we were about 6 blocks from the ocean and that was 9 months or more ago.

This looks like a hole with some other holes in near proximity around it, and some flaky dust like material that puffs up.

I am at work and don't have access to my camera or I would post some pics.

Thansk for all the replies and anything helps!

04 WW FK2100
Old 08-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #6

Shotdir:

Any further ideas? Do any of the holes go through the metal completely? Remember- (humm...don't know about the Superlite series) you should have a 2 year warranty. Take 'er in and let WW worry about it! But be sure to let everyone know what the deal is, OK?

Sean
Old 08-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #7

I know on my trailer (tahoe) they did a lousy job of sealing the wheel wells. Tires may have flung water up in a gap on the inside causing the 2 dissimular metals to corrode.?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #8

...should be a insulator layer between steel and aluminum and they should use SS screws with brass washers/nuts....but you know the trailer manufactures....It ain't going to happen on factory unites.....Clean, Dry and spray with LPS # 3 each year.....geofkaye
Old 08-16-2005, 09:41 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.....Clean, Dry and spray with LPS # 3 each year.....geofkaye </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
lot of toyhaulers visiting the Pismo Beach sands, towing over streams to their hunting lease, ...
i had never heard of LPS#3 ...
http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/CorrosionInh/Lps3.asp
interesting stuff. Does it work good? (and like you pointed out, clean and dry first.?)
thanks geof,
FD
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #10

Mikey:

We are actually a LPS distributor...it's a pretty good rust inhibitor...used it a bit before. The LPS#2 is the kin to WD40, only without the combustive properties WD40 has. #1 is the lighest, and a great lube for locks, etc.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #11

Could be a problem with the aluminum and the metal behind it coming in contact with each other. One of our Firetrucks in having a corrisone problem with the aluminum diamond plate and the metal siding coming in contact with each other.

Start with the dealer first, see what their answer is.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #12

.....answer to aluminum and steel fire rigs....quit buying the cheap aluminum rigs....get the steel rig Zeibarted or use Ken-Coat each year...l..biggest problem with aluminum rigs is the aluminum cracking and having a good aluminum welder on staff.....geofkaye