Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #1

Anybody loaded and weighed a Fun Finder XTRA XT-245 toy hauler?

Has anyone who has a Cruiser RV Fun Finder XTRA XT-245 toy hauler ever actually loaded it with toys and camping necessities and then weighed the tow vehicle with the trailer attached and unattached? How much weight was transferred to the tow vehicle?

I am searching for a toy hauler with fiberglass siding that will allow sleeping in the front bed with two motorcycles still inside. I looked at a Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 19RR and a KZ MXT 20, but it looks like they won’t quite do it.

I have a ’13 F150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost 4x2 3.55 axle 145” wb 5.5’ bed with tow package (no Max Tow or HD payload options). I have added a spray in bed liner, tonneau cover, fire extinguisher and jumper cables. I am interested in an XT-245 toy hauler. There are none near me, but it looks like it might work as far as the space available.

Truck specs:
GVWR 7100#, actual wt. with full tank and no driver 5540#, RGAWR 3850#, actual weight 2560#, yellow sticker payload 1607#, tow rating 9800#

Published trailer specs:
Length 27.5’, Dry wt. 4650# (saw one advertised at 5050# “as built”), Hitch wt. 765#, GVWR 7765#, Fresh Water 44 gal.

I will load it with up to two motorcycles weighing a total of 700 pounds behind the rear axle, generators, riding gear, tools, food, clothes, utensils and other junk. I am concerned about overloading the truck. I have 1560 pounds of total payload left to use and 1290 pounds of rear axle payload left to use. A driver and a passenger and a few incidentals could very well weigh 500 pounds. This leaves only 1060 pounds of total payload left for the trailer tongue weight.

I see on the forums that people are towing this trailer and others much heavier with “half ton” pickups. I know the Max Tow option adds 300# to the GVWR and about 180# to the payload of this truck, but that ship has already sailed.

Is there anybody out there who has actually loaded an XT-245 and weighed their rig?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #2

Do not have that model but can tell you that with toy haulers the tongue weight is greater with the garage empty. The axles are set back farther to carry the weight of the toys. My bikes are 840 and 800 lbs. I could carry both but have only carried 1at a time so far. My golf cart is a 6 passenger shuttle and weights 1200 lbs. The tongue weight decreased by 30 lbs with cart. It goes up 55-60 lbs with nothing in the garage area. I'm learning to pack stuff in the garage to lighten the tongue. I'm at 1250 with mine as packed to travel.

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I don't own one yet, but I have read a lot about the characteristics of toy haulers. I am surprised that 1200 pounds in the garage space only lightens the tongue by 30 pounds. The brochure for the XT-245 looks like maybe there is about 8' behind the axles and about 19' from the axles to the hitch. If the 700 pound bike load has the CG about 4' behind the axle, then that would lift about 150 pounds off the hitch. I am hoping for some confirmation from someone who owns one.

I found some specs on yours of 6510#/950# dry weight. Looks like your load only added 300# to the tongue. The one I am looking at is 4650#/765#. If I add 300# to that tongue weight, I will likely be right at my payload limit.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #4

The 30# is lighter than with my motorcycle. Empty the tongue weight is about 1295-1300 #

The toys don't add to the tongue weight, it is the other stuff like clothes, Mattress topper, bedding, pots/pans, food, propane, stuff stored in front bay (grill, fishing stuff, ect). that adds to the tongue weight. My total weight is 9,400# as loaded. My max GVWR is 11,200# of which a 2,000 # toy is allowed in my garage area.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote