Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

Auto Leveling

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Fuzion TH that has auto leveling and my question is this.

Can you raise the coach high enough to get the wheels off the ground to say, change a tire?

When the unit is stored should you deploy the jacks to take the weight off the tires?

Are these systems reliable or drought with problems?

How uneven can the surface be and still get level? Front to back and side to side

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Fuzion TH that has auto leveling and my question is this.

Can you raise the coach high enough to get the wheels off the ground to say, change a tire? I think it would be safer to use a jack.

When the unit is stored should you deploy the jacks to take the weight off the tires? It would be my opinion that the leveling system wasn't designed for this use. Maybe ask the manufacturer.

Are these systems reliable or drought with problems? We had it in a motor home and now a 5th wheel with no problems over about eight years.

How uneven can the surface be and still get level? Front to back and side to side. It needs to be somewhere near close and if not get out the lumber and pads.

Thanks
See in red.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post

Can you raise the coach high enough to get the wheels off the ground to say, change a tire?

Yes, it will lift the RV high enough to change a tire. The early literature put out by Lippert actually touted this as an advantage but now they say they don't recommend it. This isn't because the system isn't capable and will actually lift the tires off the ground during leveling if need. The change was made due to liability as are many these days in our ever litigious society...

When the unit is stored should you deploy the jacks to take the weight off the tires?

I do keep the system deployed when my RV isn't in use. Keeps the frame supported and weight off the tires. While not necessary, it certainly can't hurt.

Are these systems reliable or drought with problems?

The early systems had a few issues, but since having them on most higher end rigs is now industry standard, issues are very few.

How uneven can the surface be and still get level? Front to back and side to side

You can be on quite uneven surfaces and the system will still function. The angle would have to be extreme to miss but you can always use a wood block to crib the jack that misses if necessary.

Thanks

You're welcome...
Answers in blue...
Old 05-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #4

Great help thank you.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
As far as storage, I've always heard that you should not leave them extended. What is recommended on motor homes, is that you make sure the air bags are fully inflated. Then build a stack of 10x12 pressure treated wood stacks that barely fit under each fully retracted jack. then let the air out of the air bags so the coach settles on the jacks with the wood stacks under them.

And I have no idea why I'm doing all this typing as it just stuck me that you said you had a 5er. Not sure how you could accomplish the same thing.

Ok....I'll go back to my corner now and be quiet while I think about what I've done.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
It's OK Ken, it's the thought and effort that count... LOL.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #7

Thanks Ken,

I'll store that away until I have to store something with airbags, whatever they are.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:13 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Look at it this way. The front landing gear is always down on a fiver unless your hooked up. What's the difference if the rear gear is down all the time? Same hydro system and rams on all. If the front can handle it, so can the rears...
Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

Excellent point
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #10

No experience with a fiver. Most people with Class As say keep the hydraulics retracted in storage to prevent rust and them getting stuck down. Maybe anecdotal. I don't know.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
No experience with a fiver. Most people with Class As say keep the hydraulics retracted in storage to prevent rust and them getting stuck down. Maybe anecdotal. I don't know.
Yes, doesn't apply to a 5ver. Front jacks are always down. If two are, six can be.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

It depends on the system. The ones that are hydraulic and seal on the shaft should be kept up. You don't want rust to build up on the shafts. If they aren't sealing on the shaft than it's not a big deal.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350TH View Post
It depends on the system. The ones that are hydraulic and seal on the shaft should be kept up. You don't want rust to build up on the shafts. If they aren't sealing on the shaft than it's not a big deal.
Howdy Dave....

That doesn't really play though. The front ones (hydraulic or electric) are always down unless towing. If they can be down then the other 4 that are identical can be down all the time too...
Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #14

Hey Rodney!

The front landing gear on an 5ver, hydraulic or not have no exposed shaft that seals on anything, so it doesn't matter. The rear ones may though. It depends on the system. All MH's have exposed shafts that would matter.

My buddy has a Grand Design 5ver that has Hydraulic cylinder style at the front of the wheels and the back, they say do not leave those out.

Tags
leveling