Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #1

I can't find the string about a volt meter

Vette Racer
Posted July 10, 2005 12:24 AM
Quote:
"No, I got it at Sam's Club. Appreciate the input and please check the voltage. I'll be real interested in what you get. In the mean time I think I'll go back and have them replace it to see what happens. Thanks"
We'll Tom, I went to Radio Shack and got their
digital voltage meter. I was just about to use it
and decided to read the directions.

Ouch...... I need a **** specialized battery for
it, which has to be purchased separately.

Looks like tommorrow.

We're waiting from a special post from King
Salami and Sandy

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #2

I can't find the string about a volt meter

Vette Racer
Posted July 10, 2005 12:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"No, I got it at Sam's Club. Appreciate the input and please check the voltage. I'll be real interested in what you get. In the mean time I think I'll go back and have them replace it to see what happens. Thanks" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll Tom, I went to Radio Shack and got their
digital voltage meter. I was just about to use it
and decided to read the directions.

Ouch...... I need a **** specialized battery for
it, which has to be purchased separately.

Looks like tommorrow.

We're waiting from a special post from King
Salami and Sandy

Old 07-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
did i read this correctly??
a special batt for a digital volt meter?

what happened to the ~20 models that Sears Craftsman has that take a 9V ?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:
what happened to the ~20 models that Sears Craftsman has that take a 9V ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, FD, Sears still has 'em -- but Radio Shack is 3.1 miles CLOSER to Howie's house than Sears.
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog

alright,... we got a real situation here ....
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, never fear. The testing continues and to heck with that other thread.

According to the instructions, you know, the ones you never read until everything else fails. Well, they claim that since this inverter puts out a modified sine wave your digital meters won't read accurately, about 10-20 volts low. However, I took the other one back and got a new one, this one reads correctly and is putting out 118-124 volts depending on the load, on my digital voltmeter. Puts out appprox 107-no load. So, so much for the instructions. Just had a bad inverter.

Now I'm running a test to see how long my two batteries in the Jeep will run the ice maker and how much ice it will produce before power out status. Do you'all realize that a 1500 watt inverter under full load will pull 300 amps? WOW, no wonder those leads are so big. I can weld with less than that.

Ok, Update: Ice maker ran 6 hrs and made 7 lbs of ice in 90 degree heat before succumbing to a low voltage alarm. Jeep still starts at that battery voltage so that won't be a problem. Next we'll see if a trip of around 75 miles will charge the batteries back up fully, ie..to town and back. Then we'll see if it can go another 6 hrs.

Doesn't take much to entertain me!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
Well, never fear. The testing continues and to heck with that other thread.

According to the instructions, you know, the ones you never read until everything else fails. Well, they claim that since this inverter puts out a modified sine wave your digital meters won't read accurately, about 10-20 volts low. However, I took the other one back and got a new one, this one reads correctly and is putting out 118-124 volts depending on the load, on my digital voltmeter. Puts out appprox 107-no load. So, so much for the instructions. Just had a bad inverter.

Now I'm running a test to see how long my two batteries in the Jeep will run the ice maker and how much ice it will produce before power out status. Do you'all realize that a 1500 watt inverter under full load will pull 300 amps? WOW, no wonder those leads are so big. I can weld with less than that.

Ok, Update: Ice maker ran 6 hrs and made 7 lbs of ice in 90 degree heat before succumbing to a low voltage alarm. Jeep still starts at that battery voltage so that won't be a problem. Next we'll see if a trip of around 75 miles will charge the batteries back up fully, ie..to town and back. Then we'll see if it can go another 6 hrs.

Doesn't take much to entertain me! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Tom,

I returned the volt meter to Radio Shack and
picked up a Craftsman digital meter that uses
a regular 9v battery

My XPower 1500 Xantrex inverter puts out 115 volt
with no load. I didn't test it under load.

My bank of (3) 12v deep cycle batteries puts out
12.73 volts.

Glad you found the problem.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks Howie

Sorry about making you go get a voltmeter but now that you have it you can keep a check on things.

Appreciate the voltage check. I think this inverter is called "power on board". Said something about soft start and three stages of power inversion. Probably about like all the rest. Stays consistent at 124 volts under load right down to low voltage alarm time. Its suppose to shutdown before it runs the battery down too far to start the vehicle and it did.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote