Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bent axles???

Alaska trip going well except for the tires. Replaced them from 10 to 12pr ST last summer. After about 2500 miles of towing, all locked good. this spring when repacking the wheel bearings, noticed one tire had slight cracking starting in-between the treads. Took it in for warranty, no problem. Now, after another 2500 miles of towing, find that the 3 one year old tires are cutting off one inner tread. All other tread bars are wearing evenly. Took it in to a tire shop today and had tires dismounted and remounted to reverse rotation and get the worn tread to the outside. That will give us a new lease but not cure the problem. Tire tech thinks that the axles are bent. Know of no bumps that should have damaged the axles but that's pretty much my conclusion as well. Has anyone else run into this unexpected wear problem? Also, that i'm sure before the end of the trip we will need tires again, what are your thoughts going from an ST to an LT. My ST's are a bit over 3900# rating a tire and running probably a full 13k for total weight, would a 16" LT be enough tire for the load regardless of the wear factor. Speed rating really isn't a big deal as we travel slow and steady. Any thoughts or suggestions would sure be appreciated. thanks
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #2

Probably 13k - translated - I haven't weighed the rig. I would weigh it by tire and axle.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

the only thing, in my opinion, that would steer me away from bent axles is the fact all of them are the same. That would mean both axles would have to be bent. Not impossible but I would think that would have to be improbable. On the other hand what else could make those tires wear like that? The camber on both axles would have to be off in order for all tires to wear that way. Do you haul it overloaded or have the axles been flipped? I'm not the weight police so this isn't bait for taking a shot at you. The axles have a bow to them that sets your camber. Freaked me out the first time I saw mine lifted and saw the bow in the axles so I looked it up. If it's overloaded it'll cause them to ride on the inner portions of the tires and if the axles have been flipped maybe someone didn't pay attention to that bow and make sure it was on top.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're the only owners so know the axles haven't been flipped. The only other thing i can think of, and can't imagine that severe of reaction, is that i did raise the pin box mount setting 1" so as to gain a bit more bed to box clearance. It was extremely close when turning sharp. Haven't weighed it fully loaded but the one time i did, nearly empty, the weight was close to 8k combined axles and pin weight about 4k. It handles real well and really can't tell the difference from last year with the pin box lower. Think finding a good truck shop to have axles checked and aligned will be nearly impossible for this trip. Guess, "grin and bare it". lol Only question will be the tire selection when these are gone. I did raise the pressure to max, 95# in hope of transferring more of the wear to the center. We'll see.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the trailer loaded, what is the camber of the axles?
Some of the larger trailers, the axles are intentionally bent in an up-ward arc to create slight positive castor that flattens as you load it...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #6

In another forum I frequent, one of the folks I regularly converse with went this route with his Voltage 3605, which is close to your weight (I think). He has had excellent results with over 7,500 miles on these tires and all the unusual wear issues he was experiencing went away after the tire change. These tires are pricey, but might be the solution you are asking for.

New Hankook TH10 215 75 R17 5 100 16PR TL Tires | eBay
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #7

If you can get them, the Sailuns will be a good replacement, being that you expect tread wear to get them before mileage. Less than $175 each, I would think, and good tires. I have them on my 450 and my Suites. A good tire for a very reasonable price. After you get the axle problem fixed, consider them again to start anew.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote