Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Best generator

Want to get a 30ft toy hauler and noticed it does not include a generator , so in order to power all the stuff including two AC unit and satellite tv lights etc what are the specs iam most interested in and what brands are most reliable or preffered , iam interested to know your past experiences THANKS
PLAYER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Do you want a built-in or portable ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:40 AM   #3

2 - AC units. Probably a 5500 watt built in Onan would be my choice.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm2good View Post
2 - AC units. Probably a 5500 watt built in Onan would be my choice.

X2, and this would be the standard size and type for a toy hauler that's is already generator ready.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

ONAN is your ONLY choice......
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

Hmm.......like the OP, I too am looking for a toy hauler 30 ft or less with a built in geny. What I seem to find is ones where you plop one on the tongue of the tt. Ideas anyone? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzbrandi View Post
Hmm.......like the OP, I too am looking for a toy hauler 30 ft or less with a built in geny. What I seem to find is ones where you plop one on the tongue of the tt. Ideas anyone? Thanks

You can find Onan Gen sets on E-bay all the time. 5.5 is standard for running two A/C units and a toaster, Just a little higher like in the 7.5KW power output will give you a setup that you can add on to as far as more electronics, but really not needed.

I have a 7.5 I plan to add to my 24 foot cargo trailer that I also plan to put one A/C unit on top. Way over kill for needs but I got it at such a good price I couldn't pass it up.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #8

A built-in gen set is a typical option with with toy haulers. What brand are you shopping? I'd keep looking.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
A built-in gen set is a typical option with with toy haulers. What brand are you shopping? I'd keep looking.

Don't know what brand at this time. I stopped by a dealer in Reno, Nevada and there 3 toy haulers did not have gennys installed, but space on the tongue where the batts should be. The th was 27 ft as I remember. Could it be that only larger, say35 ft or larger have built in gennys?

Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You might find this link / discussion interesting.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/gener...on-179407.html
kerryvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #11

I've been on the hunt for a couple years for a 30 ft or less toy hauler/travel trailer. Most have the generator included but I just ran across a model that I like, called the dealer and he said, no that one doesn't include a generator BUT I can fix you up with one for $5k. I found the EXACT same TH at a dealer 800 miles away at a better price that includes the generator. So I think some of them use that as a way to make more bucks. I have to drive a long ways to even look, so I try to narrow it down a bit....

If you are looking at a 5th wheel, I can't help.

Skunk
Skunkcabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One thing I recommend is start that generator and listen to it!

For the last eight years we have been traveling with a 1995 Monaco Dynasty. It has a 6.5kw Onan propane generator. That generator is so quiet that we can drive into a crowded parking area in the middle of the night with the generator running, and no one notices that we have a generator running. It will run 2 13.5 air conditioners and anything else you want to do.

Now we are traveling with a travel trailer, and I needed to buy a generator. Everytime I looked at info on a generator, they compared their product to a Honda generator. So I bought a Honda. That generator is so quiet that people around us don't even know we're running a generator!

A few days ago we were parked at an event with a new motor home beside us. It had an Onan gas generator. Every time it started it sounded like the world was coming to an end.

Like I said. If you're considering a generator, listen to it run.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #13

Onan and Honda are the way to go. My only advice is that no one complains about having too large of a generator. Don't purchase one that is just barely able to power what you have now and maybe be too small in the future.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #14

You will remember a bad generator a lot longer than the extra money you paid to get a good one. I'm with others Onan or Honda are your choices.

Tags
generator