Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #1

Best toy hauler brand

Im new here and looking for a new toy Hauler. Im looking at the Momentum by grand design, XLR and Voltage. Anyone know which is going to stand up the best to running up and down the road quite a bit with no toys, just an office? Every salesman says the other is junk and dangerous? What do you all think and do you own any of these? Thanks in advance!
mouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a KZ Sportster 41. We really like the layout, have used it to haul toys and as an office for a number of years. It has stood up well but requires periodic maintenance.

Unfortunately it is quite heavy topping out at 18000. We have hauled two motorcycles plus all of our riding gear, golf clubs etc.

It is well built and seems to be well insulated.

Know this is not what you are looking at but . . . . .
Old 05-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #3

I have a xlr395 amp and only problem I have had is the brake lines from axle were too long from factory and 3 out of 6 got caught in rims and came apart. Other then that I love my 395 . I have a 2003 dodge ram 3500 diesel and it hauls it great
xlr395scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

We have the 2013 Voltage 3795..like the lay out..have had problems with the bedroom slide...have replaced the motor in the bedroom and now waiting on motor for the living room slide..enjoy the patio and love the bigger fridge
alethaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse1 View Post
Im new here and looking for a new toy Hauler. Im looking at the Momentum by grand design, XLR and Voltage. Anyone know which is going to stand up the best to running up and down the road quite a bit with no toys, just an office? Every salesman says the other is junk and dangerous? What do you all think and do you own any of these? Thanks in advance!
Howdy!

After much research including the ones you have listed here we went with Heartland Cyclone 4000 Elite. I got alot of my information looking a the brand name forums and Heartland seemed to standout as the company that took care of their customers. Also when we compaired the units side by side on the lot we much preferred the Cyclone. Below is a good link to the Heartland owners forum if you care to look at it.

Heartland Owners Forum

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Stellar choice. Happy camping with your RV and toys.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #7

Didn't state what money you expecting to spend. Another option is a custom built unit. Continental Coach/Forks rv builds them. Spacecraft also.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #8

Recommend looking at Excel Wild Cargo. They are in a class of their own and can't be compared to mass produced units on your list. I know of a 2012 for sale that you could pick up cheaper than a new Voltage.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:46 AM   #9

Quote:
I just looked at a new Grand Design also. I was very impressed with the quality of it. I also like the quality of the JAYCO Seismic.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:06 AM   #10

Quote:
This is probably not going to be much help, but if you are looking for quality, they are all about the same. You will find forums all over the net loving or not loving their purchase. For the most I think that people are quite satisfied with their toyhaulers they have purchased, all have some issues one way or the other, I was luck with mine, mostly minor cosmetic issues inside, nothing that can not be taken care of fairly easy.

With that said, it is all going to boil down to what kind of lay out do you want. Do you want a 2nd bathroom? Which bedroom design works best for you? Such as the bed being a slide out or wardrobe being the slide out, things like that. There is no perfect toy hauler out there, there is not perfect design. I have looked at so many and I just wish I could take a little be from each and have the one that fits me perfect. How much you willing to spend, what do you have to pull it with? Just make a list of "must have's" "nice to have's" and your "deal Breakers" My deal breaker was a slide out bed in the main bedroom, our must have was the 2nd bathroom.

Hope this helps
hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #11

I think I have narrowed it down to the XLR380AMP thunderbolt by forrest river. Im going to purchase at the end of the month. Thank you for all of your comments
mouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
New Horizon
Continental Coach
Spacecraft
Excel
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #13

You know, after looking at dozens of toy haulers out there before we purchased the one we have now, I think I can honestly say that the best "brand" may no longer be in business... While the ones made in the last few years are insulated better and may have better glass - they have also gotten lighter and in some ways "Cheaper" in construction methods and materials. If you're looking for a toy hauler that you can drag anywhere, look good and serve as your home away from home for a few years, today's offerings may be just what you need. Bit if you want to buy one and stick with it for the foreseeable future, you may need to look at some that are no longer in business. We paid 1/3 what the new sales price was for ours. I have a little work to do on it (which is fine by me) but when I compare it structurally to my friend's 2014 TH, I think we are in something that will last easily twice as long..
This may just be my opinion. I just did the best I could to put our money in the right place..
Old 11-22-2014, 01:37 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Define the perrameters of your inquiry. Trailer, 5th wheel, Class A, Class C, or maybe just the garage and ramp. Some toy hauler ramps are wood frame, others use polished aluminum on the ramps, some have limited height, etc.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote