Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

Best toy hauler manufacturer

Newbie to toy haulers, not to hauling trailers or RV ing.
Can anyone recommend a manufacturer with good quality control putting out a product with a good track record and happy customers? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

Look at Desert Fox, but bear in mind they can all have problems.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a KZ Sportster. Had it for 11 years and had very few issues with it. Good solid construction IMO. Not sure what the new ones are like but we really liked ours.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #4

I agree, they all have problems, and glad to hear you had 11 years of good service with your KZ Sportster. One of my concerns is that like everything else it seems, "they don't make them like they used to". Of today's models, which do you think still present a good quality construction?
Old 07-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, I thought, I'm going to follow this thread, and then, because of my lack of confidence with the way RV's are made today, I thought... Hmmm, If I go that route eventually, Why don't I just look for a good used one? One that has all the issues worked out already! ( I full well know new problems pop up over time being that RVs tend to take a lot of abuse, but no one wants for one to look heavy duty klunky...)
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtenn View Post
I agree, they all have problems, and glad to hear you had 11 years of good service with your KZ Sportster. One of my concerns is that like everything else it seems, "they don't make them like they used to". Of today's models, which do you think still present a good quality construction?
I have no empirical data regarding which could be the best.

If I were looking I would go to numerous dealers and look at/for the floor plan that most closely fits your needs and wants. I like to ditch the salesman and hang out in numerous units and pretend the weather is inclement so we have to spend time in. Can you relax without getting in each others way as well as be comfortable. From visiting various floor plans you will find things that work and things that don't fit as well. It will give you a composite of what you could consider.

While there open every door and drawer. Look underneath the cupboards, in the back of closets, etc. looking for quality construction. How well is it finished behind the front? Did they use screws, nails or staples? Does the trim fit? If you press on the walls are they solid/reasonable? Is the frame solid and heavy?

You will have to balance all of these items considering the weight which you should have an adequate truck to pull. Heavier trailer means bigger truck. We had an 18,000 GVW trailer and pulled it with a F450. Lots of truck but made driving a pleasure, could relax and arrive feeling good.

IMO every unit will have flaws. Most you can fix if you are able to fix things around the house. A good dealer is a great thing to have for warranty work and after warranty service.

I think more people will change units because they selected the wrong floor plan than those who change because they bought a bad trailer. I believe if you do the due diligence you will have a great chance at getting a unit that will serve you well for a long time.

Good hunting!
Old 07-30-2016, 11:47 PM   #7

Would recommend at least looking at the Momentum by Grand Design. See what others are saying in the forums too (lots of positives from Grand Design Owners) and compare the feel of the build as you look at different units. There are lots of opinions on brands/builds, but there are definite differences when you take the time to really look beyond just the floor plan. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:03 AM   #8

Howdy!

Like your I did a lot of research before purchasing our 2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000. We fulltime and if I Had it to do over to do over today I would be looking at custom builds New Horizon, Space Craft, Forks etc.... The quality and control for most these days in the RV industry is not there and support also after you purchase it. Personally I would stay away from any thing built by Thor and the problem with that is they own most of the RV industry now.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

Fuzion chrome here and it is nice, but they are all built about the same (i.e. Average at best). Maybe a custom build if you are looking at higher quality? To me, Fuzion, raptor, cyclone, voltage, Etc are pretty much one and same for build quality. I did see a Luxe fiver (not toy hauler) that appears to be far better built
Old 07-31-2016, 06:05 PM   #10

Thank you for all the responses! Very helpful. I had come across New Horizon and Grand Design online and they did appear to have quality but have not seen either in person. I agree with some of the comments in that quality control is lacking throughout the industry. The manufacturers that build one at a time vs assembly line may have better control over their product.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #11

Location: Retired Military, 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins Longhorn Laramie 4x4, Waiting on lotto to hit! :)
to answer the question bluntly it would be the one you have seen in person, liked, and can afford, end of search.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #12

I have an Attitude by Eclipse. Nice unit, but...quality control at Eclipse leaves MUCH to be desired. Mine is a 2017 28 ibg model, and I've had it for 8 months. It's been back to Eclipse 3 times for warrantee work. Seems like every other time we take it out, something goes wrong on the trailer.

We had a Stealth 1812 by Forest river, before. We never had any issues with it. It was just too small, so we upgraded to a 28 footer.

Retrospect, I think I should have gotten another Stealth.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Sooner or later they will all need maintenance so I put my faith in where can I get "good" and honest maintenance. I have purchased across the state just to get the best price but I went through hell getting maintenance.
I'm shopping now for a TH and I'll be buying local from a dealers that has a reputation; and by the way he carries Forest River products.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

We were in the same boat as you a few months ago. Decided to sell the Weekend Warrior toyhauler and get a new one. We looked at dozens of trailers and finally got a look at a Grand Design and were impressed. The build quality just seems to be a step above other manufacturers. That being said, they all can and do have problems. We are picking up our new trailer in a few days and I really look forward to it. The feedback from current owners is impressive. Check out their Facebook group.