Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Big Green Egg?

Does anyone travel with a Big Green Egg? I have a large BGE at home, and would like to get a Medium in a mobile cart/table for the TH. I am worried about bumps and vibrations cracking the egg. Just curious if anyone else is doing this and if you are do you have any tips or tricks?

Thanks,

Mike
Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane View Post
Does anyone travel with a Big Green Egg? I have a large BGE at home, and would like to get a Medium in a mobile cart/table for the TH. I am worried about bumps and vibrations cracking the egg. Just curious if anyone else is doing this and if you are do you have any tips or tricks?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,
I love my XLBGE but no way would I bring a med in the rv. To heavy, and the possibilities of breaking are huge. The mini is a possibility but its so small not worth it to me.

I just bought a Weber 18" Smokey Joe. Charcoal over gas any day. If you do it good luck.

Jerry
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:19 AM   #3

I bought a char- griller akorn kamando grill,looks and operates just like the bge ,it's made of insulated steel,weighs a lot less,bought mine at lowes for 300 dollars,I love this thing,check them out
spud60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #4

ceramic egg

Quote:

Thanks,

Mike
Mike....we carry a small ceramic grill in our TH. It is a different model...same principle. I believe it is Vision Mini Grill.....not sure. I keep it in the original packaging...weighs 40 lbs. I only use lump coal for grilling. Bought at camping world.....plenty or room to grill two 2" thick filet mignons No issues driving it over the "tank traps", AKA potholes, in NJ, NY, PA, VA, MD, or WV.
SFC V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #5

Vision Classic P series

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC V View Post
Mike....we carry a small ceramic grill in our TH. It is a different model...same principle. I believe it is Vision Mini Grill.....not sure. I keep it in the original packaging...weighs 40 lbs. I only use lump coal for grilling. Bought at camping world.....plenty or room to grill two 2" thick filet mignons No issues driving it over the "tank traps", AKA potholes, in NJ, NY, PA, VA, MD, or WV.
Mike...DW just informed me our "egg" is the Vision Classic P series and weighs 45 lbs
Old 08-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud60 View Post
I bought a char- griller akorn kamando grill,looks and operates just like the bge ,it's made of insulated steel,weighs a lot less,bought mine at lowes for 300 dollars,I love this thing,check them out
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC V View Post
Mike...DW just informed me our "egg" is the Vision Classic P series and weighs 45 lbs
I have actually been leaning to the Akorn, very similar to the BGE, but double steel walls. I like the Vision a lot as well, but I think it would be too small for the four of us plus other additional family and friends.
Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:13 AM   #7

I use mine all the time,holds low temps for hours once adjusted properly or can ramp it up to 700 degrees for steaks and pizzas
spud60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #8

Been using ceramic cookers for years and been trying to figure out same thing as the op...how to transport one easily in the toy hauler? Medium would be absolutely the smallest size that would work for us. Have a weber 18" smoky joe and it is not a good grill at all. Not enough depth to it and poor airflow. An acorn might be a viable option as already mentioned
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #9

We full time and travel with the mini max that came out about a year ago. Put it in the bay on its own legs just being careful about what is next to it. So far no problems and we have hit some pretty bad roads. Love it and hope to get many years out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	136329  
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #10

We have a Mini Max BGE as well; it was one of the things my wife "had to have" when we decided to go RVIng and got our MH last year. While not full timers, we spend a lot of time on the road, and use it for almost every dinner (we eat in 95% of the time). Last night a pork roast, night before tri tip. Homemade pizzas are always a treat.

It does weigh 80#s, so it takes 2 of us to move it around. I put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the bay floor to support the weight of the egg as it rests on 4 small feet that distribute the weight on a very small area. The lump wood goes into a Rubbermaid bin.

I'll try to remember a picture when we pack it up today.....

It was a great investment!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #11

BGE and pizza

Quote:
I have actually been leaning to the Akorn, very similar to the BGE, but double steel walls. I like the Vision a lot as well, but I think it would be too small for the four of us plus other additional family and friends.
Cane is correct. The Vision we use is only good for two people. Usually, that is all we are cooking for. When we have family/friends over I pull out the two notebook grills.
When we have pizza/stromboli I pull a propane tank and fire up the pizza craft pizza oven
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
We travel with the med BGE. I set it inside a large plastic tub and have never had any problems with it.
Jerry
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #13

Per my post above, here is our Mini Max BGE stashed in a basement bay. As noted, it is on a 3/4" piece of plywood to keep the legs from denting the aluminum bay floor, and it also makes it easier to keep the bay clean. The BGE hardwood charcoal is in the blue bin on the right.

From what I can tell, it has never moved while driving.

Also note that the Mini Max is the same diameter as the "regular" small BGE, with a grill diameter of about 12", it's just shorter.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	136372  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #14

Have a large BGE at home but too heavy to camp with. Bought a Kamado Joe Jr. and love it for camping. I set it on a piece of carpet inside the FW door. No problems with travel. A bit heavy but manageable. Use the KJ at home for extra room when my BGE gets filled up.
sgrol is offline   Reply With Quote