Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #1

Biker bar installation

Sorry if this a duplicate, but a search turned up nothing for me.

I would like to install a biker bar to secure my motorcycle. It was suggested that I find out the floor thickness to see if it needs reinforcement. Just got off the phone with Keystone, who told me the floor is 5.4mm thick, 2 pieces of luon with foam center.

I'm no builder but the luon I know of is like paneling... Flimsy stuff that I wouldn't walk on, much less park a 800lb bike on.

So... To my questions... Does this sound correct? Has anyone installed a biker bar? Should I get a 4x4 sheet of diamond plate to put where the bar bolts through the floor for stability? Any other suggestions or comments?
BikerRN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #2

Not a fan of the biker bar setup. I dont like the idea of direct connection to the bikes frame. The transfer of the shocks and bumps directly to the frame of the bike. Also does it take two people to put the bike in it? One to hold the bike upright and the other to tighten the clamp?

A better way is a front wheel chock. You just ride or push the bike into it and it holds the bike upright. Then some ratchet straps and motorcycle wheel tie downs on the tires. Lets the bikes suspension work with the bumps.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #3

I saw a U-tube video from a show in Ca. I think about new RV products. There was a new floor system involving some kind of pressed foam. It is supposed to be completely waterproof, and IIRC, Keystone was one of the first manufacturers going to use it. Not sure how new your rig is if this is the stuff. But an option you have is to put a piece of flat steel underneath wider than the biker bar mount and bolt it thru that. Not a big fan of the biker bar myself, I strap mine upright.
DuallyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:09 AM   #4

My problem with the wheel chock is that I am not strong enough to pull the bike back over the hump of the chock. Not always someone around to help me.
BikerRN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerRN1 View Post
My problem with the wheel chock is that I am not strong enough to pull the bike back over the hump of the chock. Not always someone around to help me.
No hump wheel chock. Not as secure but will do the trick for you.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

Check out the "wheel dock ". It doesn't raise the front wheel so it's easy to roll out and very easy for one person to load and unload. Can also be removed for more floor space.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The biker bar is by far the best way to secure your bike.
Wheel chocks are garbage.
Takes 30 seconds to drive on and click in tight.
Mobile mike doesn’t know what he’s talking about
I have never had a bike move, even when I hit a curb and the trailer flew in the air!
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CoolZ71 View Post
Mobile mike doesn’t know what he’s talking about

I think he does know what he is talking about. He is offering another option that works just fine with ratchet straps. It's a simple solution that works. Anyhow, neither option is very good if they cant be securely bolted to the floor, which is what the original question was about. I am unable to comment on the trailer construction or how they recommend that.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #9

Yup, mobilemike is wrong on his "assessment" Currently have both types of bike chocks and the biker bar is better by far. Shocks to the frame??? C'mon...you think cranking the forks down and then hitting bumps is better? Good luck when you blow a fork seal. Two person operation...bull. Just my .03 cents.
BikerRN1...I would DEFINETLY reinforce underneath your floor no matter what chock you use, if in fact that is how the floor is constructed. I made my own bottom plates but was limited in size / shape by my trailer's floor frame. My trailer is a 16' enclosed so not the same as your toy hauler.

Jaye(Mn)
Mnflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #10

Somewhere below that luan is going to be a framework of steel. You need to locate that steel and bolt a plate directly to it - ideally, with more steel below making a sandwich - then mount your bar to that plate.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To answer the original question
I used 6x6 steel plates on the backside of my car trailer.
It has 3/4” wafer board flooring
4 bikes over the last 4 years and not a single issue
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I use a simple chock anchored with enough surface area reinforcement (plate-like washers) to take the upward forces generated by road events. Ratchet straps to secure the bike in place. Front straps only compress the fork about half of its travel distance.

Loading for me is like landing on an aircraft carrier.....some serious momentum to make it up the ramp and then grab some brake just as I'm entering the chock. Adds a little thrill to the end of my ride!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #13

Big fan of the Biker Bar. As long as you reinforce the floor (which I would do for anything I attached to the floor) it is a super easy to use and rock solid.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #14

Personally I like the pingel removable chock it’s light weigh and easy to remove . And no one cinches front end of a motorcycle down where it compresses the shocks totally. I like the condor when using the bike and loading the side-by-side next to it.
Roadglide54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install