Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2018, 07:50 AM   #1

Black tank

Greetings fellow rv’ers. Newbie here. Question about black tank. Monitor shows a “holding” tank is 2/3rds. I am assuming it’s black. Since the empty ones show gray 1 and gray 2 as empty. Along with fresh. If the gauge is incorrect how would one know. ? If I open the valve it may not be pleasant. Could only think P.O. couldn’t empty even though he emptied gray 1st. Thanks for your help. Cheers
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you can reach the tank, thump on it. If it's 2/3 full, it would sound different than if empty. Level indicators are often wrong, especially black tank with materials left coating the walls making for false readings. Some toilets are directly over the tank, open the flush valve and look down to see if you can see into the tank. (turn off water pump first, no need to add water for just a look)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #3

It could be empty. I have never seen a black tank sensor set that worked beyond 1 year of use due to sludge on the walls of the tank. The sensors use the fluid to complete a circuit and illuminate each light on the panel, once a coat of good ‘ol stinky gets on the wall the circuit stays connected. They make better sensors that stand off the walls and help prevent that from occurring, but most experienced RVers just wait till the toilet “burps” for an accurate level reading.

You can fill the tank and put some dawn or degreaser in and allow to soak for a couple weeks, follow up with thorough rinsing for several hours, and it may fix the issue until the next time you use it and it starts all over again

I would also like to stress the importance of NEVER store or leave a black tank empty. Empty to me is 1/4-1/3 full to maintain a fluid tank bottom. Every dump I put in 10-20 gallons before I disconnect the flush hose. If you don’t have a santi flush just learn what a gallon looks like in the toilet and put 10 of those in after you dump. Dry black tank=poo cement that grows each use.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd think 10 gallons after a dump to keep things wet is a bit much. In many RVs that would be 1/5 or more of the full tank. two or three should be plenty to keep things wet. A good tank cleaner is Calgone Water Softener. (powder) Used to find it at Walmart or order on Amazon, but it's gotten pretty pricey.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd think 10 gallons after a dump to keep things wet is a bit much. In many RVs that would be 1/5 or more of the full tank. two or three should be plenty to keep things wet. A good tank cleaner is Calgone Water Softener. (powder) Used to find it at Walmart or order on Amazon, but it's gotten pretty pricey.
Powder? Now you tell me. I've been putting in the liquid. Oh well live and learn.

Sent from my SM-N900T using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:44 AM   #6

Thanks . All good info. Speaking of leaving some water in the black tank, I suppose that this isn't a concern for freezing? Since it isn't full? Cheers
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdan View Post
Thanks . All good info. Speaking of leaving some water in the black tank, I suppose that this isn't a concern for freezing? Since it isn't full? Cheers
If you leave a couple of gallons in the tank over winter, add a gallon or two of RV antifreeze to the tank. Pouring a bit of each gallon down each sink traps prevents them from freezing during storage too.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #8

Make sure you have that +/- 10 gallons of water in your black tank when you travel to help loosen “stuff”. Do that on your gray tank that services the kitchen sink too. You may be surprised what comes out.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
My black tank is about 12 square feet. 8 gallons puts 1 inch of water on the bottom so I prefer a bit more than that but as you state each tank is different and we all have our own comfort “levels”
Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoC808 View Post
Powder? Now you tell me. I've been putting in the liquid. Oh well live and learn.

Don't sweat it, I use the liquid and a bit of Dawn, does the same thing with the same results..
( I use the liquid because we have a vacuum pump toilet system and the powder can cause issues if it does not totally dissolve before the flush.)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
My black tank is about 12 square feet. 8 gallons puts 1 inch of water on the bottom so I prefer a bit more than that but as you state each tank is different and we all have our own comfort “levels”
1 gallon of water = 231 cubic inches. 10 gallons would be 2,310 cu. in. 12 square feet is 1,152 sq. in., so you're covering the floor of your tank with a little over 2 inches deep.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #12

Absolutely. You have calculated correctly so kudos to the math

Full timing with a family of 4 I dumped about once a week like this with a 75 gallon black.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #13

No one has mentioned Happy Camper Extreme. It should clean his tank and let him start like new with sensors that work. Also, if OP has a tank spray system, use it after most dumps. They do a good job of keeping tanks clean too.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Don't sweat it, I use the liquid and a bit of Dawn, does the same thing with the same results..
( I use the liquid because we have a vacuum pump toilet system and the powder can cause issues if it does not totally dissolve before the flush.)
I can never find the powder. Tomorrow I'm heading to pick up some happy camper extreme to clean out the black tank. And probably use the other half of bottle in the gray tank

DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank