Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #1

Boondock and TH Length

This is my first post so be gentle.
I have been reading for awhile now and it is time to start asking questions.

I am looking at getting a 5th wheel TH and a 4X4 350/3500 DRW to tow it with. I want to be able to boondock, dispersed camping, etc. I have towed a hefty gooseneck horse trailer for years with my beloved F250 7.3 Superduty 4X4 (sold it last summer though), so I know what towing 16 ft past the bumper is like.....but to get into the RV 'backcountry' what is the max length I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Can't speak for the eastern states where there are smaller tracts of Federal lands, but in the wide open west, there is no limits on the length you can tug out into the boondocks. This is especially true in the southwestern deserts where the long rigs and large awnings are a blessing to get out of the mid-day heat and late-night cold.

On the flip side, if you are thinking about escaping to thick forested areas - shorter is better for logging and fire roads.

Best luck and safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

Yea, it depends on where you want to boondock, wide open desert - get really big trailer, forested area with logging roads, something much shorter and not as tall.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #4

Try reading some of the many blogs that are out there and see if the places they are going or have been appeal to you.

google should take you to the right place, try
"RV Sue and Crew" to see someone in a short <20' trailer

And "wheelingit rv blog" for a 40' class A with toad ...

The later blog will take you to additional sites.

If you want to see WAY OUT there, try
Grand Whazoo truck camper blog.

I believe Dave is his name, very entertaining!

BTW, I'm in same boat at you ... and went from looking at 28' RV to a triple slide truck camper (good for single person, not so good for 2?)
Old 05-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Like everyone said. It will depend upon where you want to go and your skill in parking the unit. If you have particular campsites in mind find out what the maximum length is for the smallest one. If you fit there you will fit everywhere you want to go.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #6

I guess I want to do it all. Nothing greedy about that right? I live in CO and love the mtns and have spent a lot of time in them. It seems like the shortest TH 5th wheel is around 37'. So that is roughly 27' behind the bumper, right? Estimate of course.

I have done a lot of international travel. I realized that some of the most beautiful country is found in the US....looking forward to Alaska especially.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

Your only limitation would be in campgrounds. But it's not a big deal. The deserts in CA, AZ, NM, are mostly BLM and you park anywhere. Wide open spaces. I don't know about your AK trip. But we'll soon find that out. Our 5ver is 38'. I wouldn't worry about it. Just go and wing it. It might be inconvenient at times, but that goes with the turf.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAbout View Post
I guess I want to do it all. Nothing greedy about that right? I live in CO and love the mtns and have spent a lot of time in them. It seems like the shortest TH 5th wheel is around 37'. So that is roughly 27' behind the bumper, right? Estimate of course.
Well do the best you can. You may not want to live in a very small unit to go into some extreme backwoods location once. Up to you to make the best decision for yourself. Do you want comfort, convenience or something in between.

Perhaps buy two units and switch as required.