Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #15
You're right about the shorting problems! I have repaired/protected the insulation on all of my magnet wires under the drum and I put a plug at each backing plate so if I do have another shorting problem I can disconnect the offending brake assy and continue on my trip. The Ford Integrated Brake Controller does not like shorts to ground. BTW I have an 05 WW FS 2600 with 18000 miles on it. The friction material and magnets are in great shape the the insulation on the wires takes a beating.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks Ghostbuster. That plug idea is worth a thought. Got all the brakes and bearing/seals etc on order. Can't afford to mess with it at those prices, just replace the whole mess, protect the wires, and should be ready to go again for awhile. Course it'd be a little better if I just had 2 axles to mess with instead of 3.

2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Update: Its done!

What a mess, One magnet was laying in the drum, all the rest of the wires had places worn through the insulation where the metal clips hold them in place on the actuator arm, found several of the nuts holding the backing plates on were stripped, and most of the magnets were worn out. 8 hours later, everything is clean, replaced, greased, and all the magnet wires are removed from their clips, protective insulation placed around the wires and rerouted, safely held in place with a few wire ties.

It'd better be ready to go for a few years now!

If anyone replaces their brakes make sure you get rid of those metal clips holding the wires to the arm and put something over the wires to protect them. What a design flaw. I wish I could have got pictures but the wife is out of town with the camera. Oh well. You just have to take my word for it.

By the way Roy W, If you can do all this in 15 minutes a wheel, I'll give you a call the next time I have to do this. All in fun!

On edit...it just dawned on me that with so many axles out there I ought to tell you what kind I was dealing with, DUH! They are Al-ko axles with 12x2 electric brakes. Look exactly like the Dexter 12x2's. Sorry about that.
2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #18
Good show!
You can expect me in your driveway in 3 years for some OJT!
2Quads, 1Wife & 2BlueHeelers

2BlueHeelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #19
Hey, good to hear you got everything back in tip-top shape. As long as you keep everything packed, cleaned and adjusted, you should hopefully be good to go for years to come.

Also, good tip. Next time I repack I'll have to put some hi-temp sleeves around the wires where they clip to the arm.

Dodge Ram dually laramie 4x4 w/jake, B&W, Brakesmart.
Kit Patio Hauler 394F toyhauler 5th wheel
Camo 680 Rincon, Green 500 Foreman, Blk twincam Roadking
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote