Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #15

The sticker on the side says that the dry weight is 9100 lbs. I have not had the chance to take it to the scales to actually weight it but I would say that it is a little over 11,000 lbs loaded. My Duramax handles it with no problems. But it is a heavy trailer but not as heavy as some of the 5th wheels that we looked at.

Viper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #16

Hi we have a Heartland Torque 261 bumper pull. We had a 5vr but at the time it was much to big. This is our 2nd Heartland. The Torque is reasonably priced and we have used it quite a lot. We had initial problems but heartland fixed all under warranty. Go to the Heartland owners group forums and look under Torque you will read about the good and bad from actual owners. Search the net and you can get some good prices but you may need to travel.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #17

Thanks! The Heartland Torque is actually what I've been just looking at most recently. Found 1 at a dealership while I was on a little road trip last weekend and hadn't heard of them before. I'll search for that web forum.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #18

MXT

MXT by KZ makes a nice TT toyhauler with a seperate garage.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #19

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I brought my 2006 W&P WTP28BR to the scale last week loaded with every thing for camping and a 1200 lbs HD Tri-Glide it was 7220 lbs not bad.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
A friend of mine is picking up a XLR Hyperlite 27HFS tomorrow. It has a Onan 4000, seperate garage, and lot's of options for around $30K. I will see it in a couple days.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #21

Another +1 for Heartland Torque. We sell both Torque and Rubicon bumper pull toy haulers and I think the Torque is built better. Heartland really makes a nice rig....don't know much about Keystone.
BrianExplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #22

We purchased the torque 290. Loved the colors and quality feel on the inside. I have had issues with the bumper hitch version. Weight transfer is horrible. Until we used the "toy hauler " to actually haul a golf cart, we loved it. The unit will throw you off of the road with a 700 pound golf cart in it. Heartland has turned there back on us and will not do anything. Their "FIX" was for me to buy play sand and put it in the bedroom to increase the tongue weight enough so the trailer sway would not kill us at 50MPH. I guess I will need to buy more sand if I use it to the full 1500 pound weight that it has written on the wall. I fear for my families life when using it for what I bought it for, hauling toys. Now we use it empty. Pour design. Should be pulled from the market. Just a warning for who thinks you can load it and drive, as we did. SURPRISE!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogtownky View Post
We purchased the torque 290. Loved the colors and quality feel on the inside. I have had issues with the bumper hitch version. Weight transfer is horrible. Until we used the "toy hauler " to actually haul a golf cart, we loved it. The unit will throw you off of the road with a 700 pound golf cart in it. Heartland has turned there back on us and will not do anything. Their "FIX" was for me to buy play sand and put it in the bedroom to increase the tongue weight enough so the trailer sway would not kill us at 50MPH. I guess I will need to buy more sand if I use it to the full 1500 pound weight that it has written on the wall. I fear for my families life when using it for what I bought it for, hauling toys. Now we use it empty. Pour design. Should be pulled from the market. Just a warning for who thinks you can load it and drive, as we did. SURPRISE!!!!!!!
What are you pulling it with? My friend with the XLR Hyperlite had the same problem towing his with his Yukon. He now pulls it with a F250 and does not have any problems.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #24

Toy haulers are a giant fulcrum on wheels. The axles are farther back than regular travel trailers so you can add weight to the garage without unloading the tongue weight to an unsafe percentage. Tongue weight is more with the garage empty than loaded since the load, when in the garage, is above and slightly behind the axles. This is also more weight, that when started swaying by passing traffic or anything else, must be controlled by the tow vehicle. Bumper pull toy haulers still need a full size and more often than not, a 3/4 ton or better truck! I can testify to this as I had a 1/2 ton truck when I was offered a 27' toy hauler for a steal! The 1/2 ton towed it here in the flat lands of Florida but was overloaded and each trip got worse with everything that got added to the trailer. I moved up to 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and it is so much better to tow now. Less sway, more power for pulling the load onto a freeway, better fuel mileage by 3 mpg!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #25

We have a 2007 Holiday Rambler 40 ft Toy hauler Next Level. So far we love it. We have a 10 ft garage we use for our Smart Car. We decided we're too chicken to ride a scooter and golf carts don't go everywhere so decided on a smart car. Our tow truck is a ram 3500 Quad with an 8 ft bed Loves gas and loves to take up more than most parking spaces allow LOL It's long. So the smart car works. Easy to run around campgrounds and drive anywhere we need to go.
I joined this forum to meet people that we can go camping with. Our favorite campground is Tropical Palms in Kissimmee, Fl. We can only camp on weekends until hubby retires. SOME DAY
Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #26

Almost every 5th Toyhauler manufacturer makes bumper pull toy haulers. Depending on what you want. Heartland, Keystone, Dutchmen, Grand Design, KZ...and others.

As far as quality...probably KZ or Evergreen Amped. With anything you get..do your homework and look at the basic construction of each, immenties that some have and some don't. Depends on what you want...and look at each manufacturer warranty. Some are better than others! After shopping around for a couple of months, I recently bought the Evergreen Tesla 3950, but I did look at the bumper toy haulers that Evergreen has...and they are very nice.

You find some good deals on Heartland, and Keystone, but check every single item in these units. Some will have no major issues and some will have many. I found that the quality in the most popular selling units isn't very good due to the manufacturers trying to produce so many..so fast to meet demands for certain models...not all.

#1 All manufacturers will have issues, just buy from a good dealer. A good dealer will take of many issues for the manufacturer.
#2 Test your RV out...get your dealer to agree with letting you live in it on their premises for a couple of days before you take it out. All dealers will go over the operations with you before you leave...but that doesn't necessarily mean they test and operate every system on the RV before you leave. Learn from my mistake..
If your able to live in it on the dealer premises for a day or so...test every system. If you have any issues, they will correct the issues much faster to get you out of there...
#3 Since your hauling expensive toys...look at the quality of the tie downs in the garage area...are they just mounted to the plywood floor (bad) or mounted to the frame (good)...they will all have ratings. 2500lb...not so good...4000lbs to 6000lbs good. When driving over rough roads (it doesn't have to be a great distance) poor tie down can be ripped out.

Hope this helps you...good luck!