Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

Buying a toy hauler.

Greetings all,
I have had a Class C and 2 Class A motorhomes in the past. My diesel pusher could NOT be fixed despite spending thousands of dollars, so I traded it in on a Ford F350 Dually. I figure it can pull almost anything I want, and Ford mechanics are easy to find.
Because I have dogs that need to ride in crates in the bed of the truck, I need a pull trailer, not a 5th wheel, plus I do not want to have to walk up steps to the bedroom.
I would like to get a "nicer" or more "plush" better built trailer. I can only find 5th wheels from DRV, which seems from my reading here to be a better manufacturer.
I need at least 100 gallons of water, and a king bed. Size of the garage does not matter, as it will be used for storage, dogs, dog show equipment, and my husband's bicycle.
I have been looking at the Heartland Torques. Any thoughts? I particularly like their model with a garage and back ramp, as well as a side patio.
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Marcy
PS I could go new or used--either way!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Any chance you can make it to one of the RV shows around the country now? I went to the Columbus and the Tampa show the last month and there were MANY 5th wheel haulers around. Some are really nice. If your going to spend a lot on one it may make sense to go on a weekend trip to a show. It will allow you to look at many different models without sales pressure.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:26 AM   #3

The higher end trailers like DRV do not make a travel trailer type toy hauler that I know of. Our Fuzion was at the upper end when we bought it, and it is just OK. You will have a hard time finding a king bed in a TT type unless you count the beds in the back that go up and down, and they are not super comfortable. The torque you saw is a nice trailer with the side porch. Most of them are built about the same.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #4

Thanks tmm2good, that was my impression but I appreciate having it confirmed. Interesting that there are so many more 5th wheels in general, and other than maybe airstream, not many high end pull trailers, and no toy haulers. I wonder as we babyboomers age and want as few steps as possible, they'll get the hint and have a high end option that is not 5th wheel. I am also considering just buying a cheaper used unit to begin with and see how I like it. From what I understand, I can get them to modify it and turn the queen bed into a king as long as it is a walk around. I don't mind losing the wardrobes on the sides. If you were going to buy a used unit, what would you consider? Thanks again for all the help. Marcy
Old 02-10-2016, 03:27 AM   #5

If I was looking used, I would probably pick a year that I would not go back beyond- say 5 years or so. Some people will be ok with older, but if you are looking for nicer ones, the Travel Trailer toyhaulers just started getting nicer (IMO) in the last 5 years or so. Look at all the floor plans and trailers you could find on rvtrader or some site like that and see which one would work for you to be able to add a king mattress and have the amenities you want. I could not add a king mattress to mine without doing cabinet work to the closets on each side of it. Best of luck in your search, there are several check lists if you do a search online of what to look for when buying a used RV. (water leaks..etc) The trailer companies are doing more new stuff every year and adding new floorplans. Take your time looking..
Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
King bed, 100 gallons of water, bumper pull, toy hauler, well built...
That's going to be tough. You can get a rear-bathroom DRV (no steps) that is a toy hauler, but not in a bumper-pull config - it's 5th wheel.
Jayco Octane maybe - but I don't think you'll get everything you're after...
Old 03-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Good luck, you are really gonna need it.

Besides what could possibly go wrong?

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:26 AM   #8

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Cruiser Rv makes the Stryker that has a king bed and 100 gal fresh water.

Harry -O-
Doing it Cajun Style!
Old 03-20-2016, 02:46 AM   #9

LA Gulf Coast Campers
The ST-2912 has a door from bedroom to bathroom on left side of King bed.
Cruiser Rv also does a leak test in a sprinkler system room and check for leaks.
cruiserrv.com

Harry -O-
Doing it Cajun Style!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #10

I have a 2014 Northwood Desert Fox 24AS, Certified 4 Season Toy Hauler listed on here For Sale. You would need to take out/modify one of the hanging lockers to fit a King size bed in bed room, but it seems to meet your other requirements...