Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
As far as bigger tanks. The frames are built 4" i beam crossmembers 12" on center. They leave out 1 crossmember at ea black and gray so they only have a 24" hole width for a tank and naturally you cant have it stick down a lot below the frame or stuff will get ripped out on the road.

30g black is plenty for 1 or 2 for a week, hell I can get buy with my family of 3. Gray my family of 3 can take 2 shower each. If your boondocking dump gray water with a garden hose.

I was concerned with tank capacities as well. I was also looking at Class C rigs. They have small tanks as well.

With the custom builds whoever the builder Featherlite, Sundowner, ATC you can get everything you want...just how deep are your pockets.

I had looked at going the motorhome route also but I don't like having to move my home if I need to go on a grocery run or a parts run. My Jeep could do the grocery runs as long as it wasn't broken down. I can also use my bike but I liked the idea of having the truck better. We will see what they say at the dealership today and what I can and can't do.

It has been a few years since I had a RV so I don't remember how long my tanks lasted. Since it is only me and my fur buddy we won't be going thru as much water. My only requirement is that I have to wash my stump each night and wash the liner for my prosthetic to keep from getting sores and stuff.
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #16

Check out Logan coach Ultimate toy hauler Look for the open floor plan as far as getting up into the goose-neck bed Logan has a center roof cable system they use for working on snow mobiles in the garage area call them they might be of some help getting you into there bed. Merhow toy haulers trailers have a similar trailer video shows jeeps going into the garage. What are you planning on using for a truck to pull this goose neck with? Most trailer manufactures go buy box length then add 8 ft for the G/N. I know the Logans trailers are heavy (part aluminum part galvanized) while some are all aluminum with a really low GTW and a high GVW with a jeep and bike in the garage plus gasoline (internal gas station) water propane gear adds up quick in total weight. Im still looking for a unit too undecided at this point.
Gaspumpcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #17

https://diamondhtrailer.com/
Old 01-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #18

https://youtu.be/9esXHEJFr_A
Old 01-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #19

So a quick update,
Been talking with a ATC dealer just to see what they can do. Their new 5th wheel is a nice looking trailer and looks like it is well built. Will see where they come in on price.

Stopped by my local Sundowner dealer and talked with them and waiting to see what they come back with.

Also talked with Dune Sport and they are working on a floor plan and cost for one of their trailers. Was able to talk with someone who owns a Dune Sport and used it to haul his Jeep. He was happy with the construction and still has the trailer. Just swapped from the Jeep to a SXS.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman4x4 View Post
So a quick update,
Been talking with a ATC dealer just to see what they can do. Their new 5th wheel is a nice looking trailer and looks like it is well built. Will see where they come in on price.

I am interested in that one as well. My ATC dealer quoted me $110/120k for their 5th wheel toyhauler. I was really turned off for the fact it only has r-3 wall insulation and none in the floor. It's a cold echoing cave for that kinda coin.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #21

Random things: I’m installing an electric fireplace. Mostly boondock with propane furnace but when I hit cg’s with included electric, I want to take advantage.
I really like my combo microwave/oven. I know you said you don’t bake much, but when boondocking and running genie to charge batteries, I find I take the opportunity to use the oven for the frozen meals when being lazy, or brownies, etc.
I would love the screen door that Thor is putting on the class A Outlaw’s now that turns the garage into more of an indoor space. I find I leave the ramp down as deck and have chair out there, but just want something more substantial than the bug screen when I leave camp, without having to fold the deck up.
Make sure your deck enclosure works for your pup- mine is too high between deck and side and one of mine can escape. I’m using a folding metal dog enclosure across the garage now, but they would love to lounge in the sun on the deck!
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
I am interested in that one as well. My ATC dealer quoted me $110/120k for their 5th wheel toyhauler. I was really turned off for the fact it only has r-3 wall insulation and none in the floor. It's a cold echoing cave for that kinda coin.

The quote I got today was for about $121K but the walls and floor had additional insulation.

INSULATION - FLOOR - EXPANSION - 2" - R-14 40 ft $2,720 OPT
INSULATION - WALLS - CLOSED CELL - 1" - R-6.5 40 ft $1,720 OPT

R6-6.5 isn't a lot for the walls but better than nothing I guess.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
Random things: I’m installing an electric fireplace. Mostly boondock with propane furnace but when I hit cg’s with included electric, I want to take advantage.
I really like my combo microwave/oven. I know you said you don’t bake much, but when boondocking and running genie to charge batteries, I find I take the opportunity to use the oven for the frozen meals when being lazy, or brownies, etc.
I would love the screen door that Thor is putting on the class A Outlaw’s now that turns the garage into more of an indoor space. I find I leave the ramp down as deck and have chair out there, but just want something more substantial than the bug screen when I leave camp, without having to fold the deck up.
Make sure your deck enclosure works for your pup- mine is too high between deck and side and one of mine can escape. I’m using a folding metal dog enclosure across the garage now, but they would love to lounge in the sun on the deck!
This is the screened room they are offering for the rear ramp.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:54 AM   #24

Quote:
This is the screened room they are offering for the rear ramp.

I like the full roof to keep rain off, as I’ve had to close up the porch in wetter weather because I don’t trust the water seal on my Thor ramp. But boy, that screen setup seems super fussy.
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #25

Not sure about the ramp height of the dune trailer no problem for the Jeep seems the bagger cause of the angle could be a challenge. How about two side doors in and out on a low sundowner this would cut down on total length running nose to nose.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #26

ATC GN trailer look at the Quest versions just curious what truck you’re going to use?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #27

How about the Thor outlaws classic Motorhome then tow Jeep.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #28

Quote:
So a quick update,

Stopped by my local Sundowner dealer and talked with them and waiting to see what they come back with.

Also talked with Dune Sport and they are working on a floor plan and cost for one of their trailers. Was able to talk with someone who owns a Dune Sport and used it to haul his Jeep. He was happy with the construction and still has the trailer. Just swapped from the Jeep to a SXS.
Good to get some quotes from a few different brands for sure. I too thought the ATC was built very well especially compared to all the other TH I have looked at. They are a bit on the side of sterile/industrial looking which will turn off a lot of people, I was OK with it function over form for me. I did not notice a echo in the trailer I looked at but my hearing is not what it used to be either. My concern with the ATC is it's lack of insulation (although I think it can be mitigated somewhat) it is at best a 3 season trailer. Since it is made of aluminum that makes it a great thermal bridge to transfer the outside cold to the inside of the trailer, wood is better at not transfering the cold but has it's own issues that make it less desireable to use in trailer construction. That said since our plan was to travel extensively around the USA and the older I get the less I like the winter cold we would just follow the weather, so it's lack of insulation is less of a concern for me.

The Sundowner I do not know much about but does appear to be a well made trailer and Wild Card seems to be very happy with his. Also looks like you can do a fair amount of customization with Sundowner, with ATC if it's not a option they offer it's not going to happen, at least that was what the dealership I went to said.

I know Dune Sport will build just about anything you want, which in your case may make them your best choice, also finding someone that is happy with their Dune Sport is encouraging.

Tags
buying, toy hauler