Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #43

Joe11 you are absolutely right , you must bring a licensed class A driver with you to the test as well as all times you practice as per the permit and per the handbook. However I did bring my father in law with me to the test and he was with us on most our trips prior to completing my test the instructors never asked to see his lic or him. He simply sat on the same bench the whole time. Just goes to show how irregular dmv’s can be. The tests are not the same tests in the handbook. I’m not saying they won’t ask for your driver/instructor but they didn’t ask me.Good catch joe11 , that’s a nice rig in your tag, care to tell us the details ? I bet it’s big if your on this thread
beast2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #44

Joe 11, I had the same experience as BEAST2017. I paid a drive-away company for a licensed Class A driver to come along. On two occasions, the examiner didn't care to talk to him or see his license. However, I think the location of the DMV facility may have something to do with it. The Fontana, CA facility is in the heart of a truck terminal area and truck sales area. Looking around me there, there were several people I would identify as instructors who are just there for moral support for guys going through their trucking schools. There are plenty of stories on this and similar forums about people going for the test and being rejected for not having the licensed "supervisor" or "instructior" along. I would bite the bullet so you only have to do it once---at least for that reason.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:48 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast2017 View Post
Joe11 you are absolutely right , you must bring a licensed class A driver with you to the test as well as all times you practice as per the permit and per the handbook. However I did bring my father in law with me to the test and he was with us on most our trips prior to completing my test the instructors never asked to see his lic or him. He simply sat on the same bench the whole time. Just goes to show how irregular dmv’s can be. The tests are not the same tests in the handbook. I’m not saying they won’t ask for your driver/instructor but they didn’t ask me.Good catch joe11 , that’s a nice rig in your tag, care to tell us the details ? I bet it’s big if your on this thread
44' long, triple #8,000 axles, #21,000 GVWR. had my pitiful 31 gallon OEM fuel tank removed from the Ram and had 70 gallons installed under the bed.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #46

You did not mention a medical certificate. The non commercial A or B's don't require a medical exam?
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
You did not mention a medical certificate. The non commercial A or B's don't require a medical exam?
For the non commercial "A", you only have to submit a health questionnaire that is filled out and submitted by you every two years. For the "B" a medical form has to be done by a physician. Not sure of the reasoning.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
For the non commercial "A", you only have to submit a health questionnaire that is filled out and submitted by you every two years. For the "B" a medical form has to be done by a physician. Not sure of the reasoning.

Mark
Absolutely right
Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
44' long, triple #8,000 axles, #21,000 GVWR. had my pitiful 31 gallon OEM fuel tank removed from the Ram and had 70 gallons installed under the bed.
Nice I see your be passing up lots of gas stations , toy hauler right? What you got in the back?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
It Was literally a form I filled out, handed it to the gal in the dmv. good eye on catching that.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast2017 View Post
Nice I see your be passing up lots of gas stations , toy hauler right? What you got in the back?
im 62' long overall so large fuel tank helps tremendously. 14' garage holds a GL 1800 when on the road. Will be getting a RZR XP4 in the fall.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #52

Nice , that’s a long haul and definatley needs to have a ca non Commercial license I’m glad your doing it legal. I’ve also be eyeing the new razor but just when I’m set on the one I was going to get , they release the new “S” now that’s going to cost a few more coming . So leaves me with a choice spend more on bigger tires and suspension or save some and make it my own. Originally I was going for the turbo. 4 seater.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post

Mark
The B license is also required when driving commercially, extended vans for passengers, buses, and school buses, hence the need to ensure that medical is good.
Hauling others vs hauling you and just your family.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #54

It is good to see the interest in Non Commercial A. We pull a 17k Fuzion. I am a worry wart I guess, but the big thing for me was a possible accident and driving out of class. Could make some lawyers rich. It was an experience, but all in all not bad. Used up all my extras on the alley dock though.
Reddingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #55

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just got mine a couple months back, the alley dock was my Achilles too!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #56

Reddingbob, that was my big thing, too. I was worried that an accident that was not my fault would become my fault because I wasn't properly licensed. The higher percentage of posters to this subject believe that you'll never get caught, so why bother. Cost me one point for using two tries on the alley dock in January when I got mine.

Tags
class a, driver