Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 02:14 AM   #71

Thanks all for your replies! When distill all of the information it sounds like I could get by with a class B non- commercial license since I’ll tow less than 10,000 pounds. I think I also need an air brake endorsement. Having said that, I don’t see much difference between the class a and class B license. It requires the same test as far as I can see and also the same medical form to be filled out so why not just go with the class a non-commercial license and be done with it?
Can use all the tips you have.
Hclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #72

If you’re towing less then 10,000 lbs, you only need a class C without any endorsements.
Not sure why you would ever need an air brake endorsement.
If it’s a motor home, it would only be a class B over 40’. No endorsements either.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:12 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein4 View Post
Hello,

Quick thanks to Beast2017 for starting this thread and to all who have contributed; a lot of good information. I purchased an ATC toy hauler (bumper pull) GVWR 11,440 lbs.

I completed my Trailer, Motorcycle and Class C written test DMV in Temecula, CA (I live in Murrieta). I have scheduled the skills test at the Fontana Test Center for Apr 30 at 11 am.
I was wondering if any of you with your Class A license would have the time to go along with me or meet me at the testing center; I will definitely compensate you for you time.

I saw mentioned a few aviators in the post; I'm a prior Navy Pilot and currently a Corporate Pilot. I have yearly training and FAA check ride in the aircraft next week - I think I'm more nervous about facing the CA DMV.

If I can't find someone to go along I will touch base with one of the driving schools; Grzly03 do you happen to have the contact info of the company you called?

Thanks for any assistance,

David
Hello, Just wanted to follow up on my post; I completed the pre inspection, skills and drive test today. Happy to say I passed. There were 3 forum members that offered to go along with me as my Class A "sponcor" - wanted to thank all of you.

R2millers (Bob) went with me - wealth of knowledge. Can't thank him enough for all the tips and spending the day with me.

beast2017 and Grzly03 post were spot on - the one thing not mentioned is they had me set the parking brake and put the truck in gear. They wanted to make sure the brake held.

Pre-inspection: be thorough and talk a lot about everything your looking at.
CDL: cracked, damaged or leaking for hard items
ABC: Abrasions, Bulges, crack for soft items (tires and hoses)
Throw in some "secure" every now and than and you'll pass.

Skills test: as the others said practice - I did and had no problems. However I do think the alley dock has an element of luck; luck was on my side today.

Drive test was no problem; the examiner tells you turn by turn where to go and even what lanes to turn into.

I would highly recommend the Fontana Commercial DMV - shocker but all the DMV personnel I worked with were professional and pleasant.

David
Stein4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:30 AM   #74

Forgot, the other benefit to Fontana is it's right in the middle of truck driving school so you have a whole lot of people watching you do your skills test. They may or may not have seen a cone move (very slightly) the examiner was on the other side of the trailer ...probably a gust of wind.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:05 AM   #75

wow, i used to live in california but now live in arizona. our 5th wheel would require the non-commercial license in california. i asked an arizona highway patrol officer if any special license was required in arizona. he said they cover this in highway patrol school. his response was "you can buy the biggest tuck you can find and hook up the biggest trailer you can find and fill it popsicles. you can drive it anywhere in arizona with a regular drivers license and you can pull over and eat as many of the popsicles as you want. but if you sell just one of those popsicles to somebody you better have a commercial license"!

also we were just in california last week on hwy 99 going through the central valley. the speed limit was posted as 70 and then there were other signs stating a speed limit of 55 for truck and vehicles towing. needless to say, more than one truck or vehicle towing exceeded that limit. does the non-commercial test have any questions relating to the speed limit while towing?
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
... does the non-commercial test have any questions relating to the speed limit while towing?
The speed limit for towing in California is very consistent. It is 55 mph regardless of the vehicle configuration. Even a motorcycle towing a small trailer has a legal limit of 55 mph. So no difference based on the type of driver test you are taking. There is also a restriction when towing on using a carpool/express lane, and a requirement on the freeway to generally using the right hand lanes.

Compliance does seem rare.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:07 AM   #77

Class A Motorhome Calif Lic

I am in the process right now of getting my Calif Non Commercial class B License.

After a lot of questions at the DMV I think I finally received a straight answer about Calif licensing.

Non-Commercial Class B license is required in Calif for Housecar over 40' but not more than 45". and you can tow up to 10,000 lbs. Pain in the butt to get the license but a lot better than ending up in a liability situation.

Class A license (posts) info for the 5th wheel sounds right.

PS. I will need to take my 'skills' test either in Fontana or El Centro between May17th and May 23rd. I need to have someone with me that has a commercial license since I will need to get my coach there and only will have a permit. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks, Clint
Old 05-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #78

Clint,
You have a beautiful rig. Big too.
Yes it looks like a class B is in your future, unfortunately I will be out of town and not available.
After helping David with his class A, I'm sure there are others who are more familiar with your set up and willing to help.
As David found out, lots of good people out there willing to help.
Fontana was a good facility for testing and I'd recommend it.
Good luck.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #79

Hello all - new member here. I don't mean to just jump in to the deep end of the pool, but this is amazing to me that I found this thread. I have recently passed my CA noncommercial Class A written test and am having a heck of a time finding a Class A licensed driver who is able to go with me to the skills and driving test. I have been turned down by trucking schools, drive off carriers and even several individual truckers I have come across.
I have an appointment at the Fontana DMV next Wednesday 5/15 at 9AM, so my time is growing short.
Please let me know if anyone is willing or able to assist, or if you have any suggestions. I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.
HpyGlampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #80

As luck would have it I found a friend of a friend of a friend who knows a guy who is a truck driving instructor who has agreed to help me out. I think finding this person to go with you is half the battle. Thanks for reading.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #81

Update Post, I found a drive to help

All,
FYI, I did find a driver to go with me to the skills and behind the wheel test for my Class B License test. Thanks for your posts.
Clint
Old 05-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpyGlampers View Post
As luck would have it I found a friend of a friend of a friend who knows a guy who is a truck driving instructor who has agreed to help me out. I think finding this person to go with you is half the battle. Thanks for reading.
HpyGlampers; If the driving instructor can't make it I might be able to help. I have something scheduled that day but I could probably change it.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #83

HpyCampers, if that all falls through, I am available on that day also. Would be coming from Menifee and meet you in Redlands, perhaps. I took this driving test at Fontana in Jan of '18.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #84

Stein4 and Grzly03 - You are amazing. Thank you for the most generous offers. The guy I found is upstanding so I expect him to come through but it sure is nice to know others are willing to help.
This looks to be an incredible online community. I will report back next week, hopefully with good news!

Tags
class a, driver