Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #1

Awhile ago someone posted that their rear cargo lights turn on when they engage reverse on the TV. I believe it was on a Weekend Warrior, but I really don't remember. Mine doesn't do this and I would love to wire the lights so they will.

Is this the way all Weekend Warriors (except mine) are wired? Does anyone on this board have this feature? What would be involved in wiring the lights to work not only as cargo lights, but as back up lights also?

If it's impossible or too much of a PITA, I'll probably just put some back up lights in the bumper.

Thanks, Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #2

Awhile ago someone posted that their rear cargo lights turn on when they engage reverse on the TV. I believe it was on a Weekend Warrior, but I really don't remember. Mine doesn't do this and I would love to wire the lights so they will.

Is this the way all Weekend Warriors (except mine) are wired? Does anyone on this board have this feature? What would be involved in wiring the lights to work not only as cargo lights, but as back up lights also?

If it's impossible or too much of a PITA, I'll probably just put some back up lights in the bumper.

Thanks, Wes
Old 09-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #3

I don't know about all WW's doing this, but....

When I click reverse on my 04', they light up.

They don't do a **** bit of good; rig is tooo long. Can't see a thing back there!! C-Ya!!

2004 WW 3705 SLC FW w/ALL the goodies!! Hauling out back:
MCR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #4

Wes,

I have back-up lights on my Alfa that really are just for letting the guy behind me know my intentions. With that, I installed a pair of driving lights on the corners of the trailer angled so I can see them in my mirrors shinning on the ground. It allows me to be able to not only see the corner of the rig but also the ground and objects as I'm backing up at night. They are wired into the 7 way plug, can't remember which color at the moment, and to the back of the rig. In your case you would have to run wires from the back to the plug and wire in the female on the truck. Not difficult, but a little time consuming. I also installed mid-ship turn signals which I feel really helps in lane changing notification.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #5

Hey Wes, thanks for bringing this up, My first WW had this option and is was quite handy, but keep in mind, with the cargo lights going on in reverse, the opposite effect occurs when your truck is hooked up and you turn on the cargo lights. The reverse lights on your TV turn on.
I think my current trailer is wired for this opption at the gang box (at least thats what the dealer says) and I belive it's the unused yellow wire coming from the truck, but I don't know which one I use going to the trailer. When the first trailer did this it was a little confusing because I thought there was a short. The dealer said WW got too many complaints and thats why they don't do it any more, but still leave it as an option if you want to hook it up.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.CARNEY:
Wes,

I have back-up lights on my Alfa that really are just for letting the guy behind me know my intentions. With that, I installed a pair of driving lights on the corners of the trailer angled so I can see them in my mirrors shinning on the ground. It allows me to be able to not only see the corner of the rig but also the ground and objects as I'm backing up at night. They are wired into the 7 way plug, can't remember which color at the moment, and to the back of the rig. In your case you would have to run wires from the back to the plug and wire in the female on the truck. Not difficult, but a little time consuming. I also installed mid-ship turn signals which I feel really helps in lane changing notification.

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clark,

I remember seeing your photos of the back-up lights you installed on the rear corners. I just had to add 3/8' steel skid plates to my rear corners as they've been slammed a couple of times on boon dock roads and steep exits out of shopping malls. I figger'ed that by now, you would have either replaced your lights a couple of times or removed them. I like your concept, and if I do that mod, I'll need to position my back up lights a bit higher than where yours are located.

Before I tackle that, I need to finish my solar panel install, and install my 4" exhaust system on my truck

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Rod,
The yellow wire (back-up light wire from TV) is in the box, but no wires for the cargo lights. At first, I was going to run a wire from the junction box for the umbilical cord, through a relay and then to the cargo light circuit at the fuse box. I found that the cargo lights, the awning flood lights and the utility light on the left side of the TH are all on the same circuit.
I don't think it would be good to have all of them come on with the back-up lights.

I looked into running the wire to the switches and making the splice there, but I have the drive on wheel wells and diamond plate so it would be a big PITA.

I've decided I'm going to copy Clarks back-up light mod. Buy a set of lights, mount them near the bumper and run a wire from the umbilical cord junction box to the new lights.

I'll post pics when I finish the job.

Wes
Old 09-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by high desert:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Rod,
The yellow wire (back-up light wire from TV) is in the box, but no wires for the cargo lights. At first, I was going to run a wire from the junction box for the umbilical cord, through a relay and then to the cargo light circuit at the fuse box. I found that the cargo lights, the awning flood lights and the utility light on the left side of the TH are all on the same circuit.
I don't think it would be good to have all of them come on with the back-up lights.

I looked into running the wire to the switches and making the splice there, but I have the drive on wheel wells and diamond plate so it would be a big PITA.

I've decided I'm going to copy Clarks back-up light mod. Buy a set of lights, mount them near the bumper and run a wire from the umbilical cord junction box to the new lights.

I'll post pics when I finish the job.

Wes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wes:

I'm curious as to how you do this- I'd think my SLC is somewhat close to your rig.

If I may, and I've brought this up before, ask everyone if they know how to get the "Cadillac" style flood lights during a turn, wired up! I think that would be the cat's meow. Imagine turning a tight corner, and when you turn your turn signal on, a 'curb flood' comes on in the direction of the turn to illuminate the corner (without flashing of course! ).

And I WANT IT ALL...I don't want to have to wind up wiring all the way to the TV, but find someway to do it 'local'...a nice, simple way that my 12v brain (what's left of it) could understand. OK...NOW I want someone to do it for me for $20 (or a case of beer, whichever is cheaper! ).

I know I know...spit in one hand and errr...in the other. There's GOT to be a way!!!

And dang it...you finally gonna make it down here so we can meet cha? BBQ, Rowdy, Rally?
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #9

Howie,

The back of my Alfa where I mounted the lights is angled up from the road so the lights are basically protected by my rear skids. If I hit the lights, I will really screw up the back of the rig.

Wes,

Try to figure out a location that will allow you to see them shine down on the ground next to the rear of the rig. Once you get a hot wire back there, have someone hold the lights while you check mirrors if you can. I really think you will like the way they light up the back. I bought a set of driving lights from Auto Zone and mounted them. You might even find a set of back up lights that will work, just make sure they have 55 Watt bulbs so you can see them.

Sean,

For turn sigs, you already have the wires. You just need to find a relay that will give a constant on to light up those Caddie turns... I used regular side markers for my mid ship turns, amber lenses, and they work really good according to friends who have followed me down the road.

Were heading off to So. Carlsbad this weekend. I'll tip a cold one to you boys...

Clark

Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sean,

For turn sigs, you already have the wires. You just need to find a relay that will give a constant on to light up those Caddie turns... I used regular side markers for my mid ship turns, amber lenses, and they work really good according to friends who have followed me down the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh sure....TEASER!

Now I'm really on the warpath...any chance you and Robin can come sit a' spell here at the home front? I got wine!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #11

Sean,

We would love to. I'll look at the calendar this weekend with Rob and get a few dates were free and give you a call and work something out. I am scheduled to work on the date of Eric's BBQ, but I'm off Fri the 6th so if you come up the night I'll break free and come visit for a while. Let me know when your planning on driving up.

Have you looked into the caddie mod deep enough to call a caddie dealer and see if maybe there is a relay that keeps those side lights on? If so, all you need to do is find a good set at a junk yard and remove the relay with the lights. Then wireing them into the turn sigs should be a piece o cake.

I'm sure it CAN BE DONE!!!

Clark