Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #1

Charging Batteries

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Toyhauler. This is my second Toyhauler. My old one would charge the batteries while my truck was running. Not so with this one.

Can I make this possible?

The issue is this... if you run the batteries down you can't start the generator. If I could charge the batteries with my truck, I could start the generator...

Does anyone have a solution?

Thankyou in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 02:07 AM   #2

There is a pin in the factory 7 pin wiring on your truck that is a dedicated 12v source. You can look up diagrams easily online. All you need to do is run a wire from that pin on your trailers 7pin connector to the + on the batteries. I am very surprised it isnt prewired, You could have a blown fuse or corroded connection somewhere, you will know once you get the 7 pin plug apart if the wire is already there or not.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #3

The number 4 pin

-Jeff
Old 04-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #4

I spoke with another fleetwood owner and he stated his does not charge from the vehicle either. So unless we both have a failure of some sort I'm going to assume it wasn't wired that way. I am getting 12 volts from the # 4 blade on the vehicle connector.
I think I'll take the trailer connector apart run and a wire from the #4 blade to the battery.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

As they come from the factory, trucks are wired to provide power for charging. However, it is not connected.

On a Chevy, you need to add a fuse in the fuse panel, On a Ford, you need to add a fuse and a relay in the fuse panel. The relay is usually stored in the glove box. I am not sure about how Dodge does it.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
As they come from the factory, trucks are wired to provide power for charging. However, it is not connected.

On a Chevy, you need to add a fuse in the fuse panel, On a Ford, you need to add a fuse and a relay in the fuse panel. The relay is usually stored in the glove box. I am not sure about how Dodge does it.

Joel
My old truck - 2004 GMC and my new truck - 2006 Dodge - BOTH already were hot on pin #4, but both have/had towing packages factory installed, not dealer installed.

Check pin #4 at the truck plug to see if it is hot, if not, look for the fuse/ relay mentioned already. If it is, then.....

Check the trailer, follow the wire from the truck connector, it may go to some sort of junction box. I have a box on the back side of the front trailer frame cross member (right behind the battery box). In there, I have a hot wire that goes to charge my trailers battery. The wires for the lights (running, left turn, right turn - turn lights double as brake - and ground) all are connected to another loom that goes to the rear of the trailer for the lights, and the axle brake wire - with a ground, go to the axles from here.

Having a toy hauler, it has rear loading lights above the ramp door - I located the wire for reverse/backup lights, connected it to the loom going to the back, located it at the rear and installed a relay to the loading lights to become backup lights for my trailer. I know some newer trailers already have them, but mine didn't come with them. Wire loom on my trailer is the 7 wire loom used on the plug. All the wires are in there, but I needed to connect the wires together between the 2 looms in the junction box.

It would be nice if you have the wire already and just need a jumper to complete the circuit. IF the 7 wire loom doesn't have a junction box, it CAN be carefully opened and the hot wire located for this use.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #7

Sounds like you mean while parked, as one does not normally run them down traveling.

If that is the case, just use a set of jumper cables from the truck battery to the house batteries. Normally the gen will start up as soon as connected, then recharge with the gen.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #8

How did you make out? you did say the you had hot on your vehicle side, I find it unusual that the trailer would not be wired for it.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

The trailer is not wired for it. Don't know why-never seen it before. I'm going to run a "jumper" of sorts to the coach battery. Hopefully I can get it done this week as we a using it this weekend....

Tags
batteries, charging