Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #1

When I first read about awning deflappers on this forum, I didn't know what they were so I did a search on the Camping World WEB site. Found out what they were and the prices ranged from $7.95 to $22.95. I thought it's a gread idea but a little over priced for what you got.
So I made my own for the whopping price of $1.22 each.

The black clip is a tarp eyelet repair clip I got from Home Depot for $0.97 each. The ball bungies I buy in bulk on the Internet for $0.25 each. I made 4 of them, two each side.
They work great and I saved a bunch of money. Need I say more?

Larry

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #2

When I first read about awning deflappers on this forum, I didn't know what they were so I did a search on the Camping World WEB site. Found out what they were and the prices ranged from $7.95 to $22.95. I thought it's a gread idea but a little over priced for what you got.
So I made my own for the whopping price of $1.22 each.

The black clip is a tarp eyelet repair clip I got from Home Depot for $0.97 each. The ball bungies I buy in bulk on the Internet for $0.25 each. I made 4 of them, two each side.
They work great and I saved a bunch of money. Need I say more?

Larry

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog

There seriously are some great ideas that come out of this area
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #4

THat is just about one of the best ideas I've seen yet...you go guy- put CW outta business- wouldn't hurt my feeling's any...there's nothing in that store that isn't overpriced or available anywhere else.

Off to Home Debit tomorrow to find those- got plenty of the bungies!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
THat is just about one of the best ideas I've seen yet...you go guy- put CW outta business- wouldn't hurt my feeling's any...there's nothing in that store that isn't overpriced or available anywhere else.

Off to Home Debit tomorrow to find those- got plenty of the bungies!!

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks great, but the dapper flapper mod could exceed limits of the
awning system. Here is King Salami on the roof in dire straits
after a fast moving weather system kicked in at Rasor Road.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #6

Ouch...I remember seeing that earlier...not a pretty picture. BTW...I use some of those aluminum 14" nails to stake down my awning, and the trick is to drive them sideways into the ground, and use both holes in the awning's footings, driving them at opposite angles. Maybe cudda helped, but I wasn't there, so I don't know.

But I DO KNOW that CW is just about the biggest ripoff to the RV world- there are alot more ways to skin a cat without paying exorborent prices. And Bubba's figured out one of them.

Sean
Old 09-27-2005, 02:11 PM   #7

Hey Bubba:

Got me the holders from Home Debit today!!! It was a little tricky to find them- they had 'em in a bucket sitting on the paint counter...$0.99 cents.

Thanks for the tip...I think they'll work just great!!

Sean
Old 09-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You know, I gotta go get those. Great Idea!

Also, another idea on the subject of awnings, especially A&E. One of the major design problems with theirs is the upper arms that come out from the trailer just have those nylon knobs that tighten and hold the arms from slipping. Next thing you know, a little wind comes along and they start slipping. After awhile they get a lot of slack, then a gust comes along and your awning is over the top of your trailer.

FIX...Extend your awning out to where it normally goes, drill a hole through the arm horz behind the knob just large enough for a pin with a bail on it, stick the pin through the arm, latch it and you will not have to worry about the nylon knob slipping in the wind and letting the arms get away. My awning stays up in a lot of wind and never a problem unless its strong enough to rip it off the trailer. My 50 cents! I like the deflappers too though.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #9

Good one there Tommy Boy!!! Nice and simple, and you beat Howie to it...how did it take you this long to finally blurt that one out for us?

Hey...and I also bet there's also some type of plastic holder you could mount somewhere on the awning arm to hold the chained pin so you don't lose it...gonna have to do some homework on that one...will report back.

Sean
Old 09-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
No, just put the pin in a spot where you know where it is. I keep them in a cigar box just inside the storage area. Right next to my pins for my dish tripod along with my matches and my matchless lighter. You know, all those important things. Jeese, do I have to spell it all out for you. Why don't we just get together and I'll show you how it is!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #11

Now we're just gonna have to do that, but I suspect all the mods are gonna be done WAY before we get together!!

Now...I can already tell you don't have a 14yo son helping you setup the TH...for instance, the crank handle for the rear riggers never winds up in the spot TWICE, unless I was the one to set them. Dittos on just about everything else a RV could have that doesn't have some sort of leash on it...now I know why they put chains on the pens at the bank!

Man...you've forgot a whole bunch of stuff since your earlier years, ain't cha?!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">crank handle for the rear riggers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excuse me.....You don't use that do you? Buy-em books, send them to school, yada, yada...Get yourself a drill motor, socket, and use that...less work. Course, with a cheap worker like a 14 yr old, maybe you should continue using the crank. I would have the drill motor lying in wait for those times that the cheap labor isn't present.

You know, I had one of those once (cheap labor)except he grew up and won't do anything now.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:44 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
The best thing about using that child labor is that it encourages them to move out at maturity.
Now thats a good thing!

Tom, I'll second WW's good marks on the pin idea. How about a second pin for when the support is verticle in storage mode. I now use a velcro strap but a pin may be better.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:11 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Excuse me.....You don't use that do you? Buy-em books, send them to school, yada, yada...Get yourself a drill motor, socket, and use that...less work. Course, with a cheap worker like a 14 yr old, maybe you should continue using the crank. I would have the drill motor lying in wait for those times that the cheap labor isn't present.

You know, I had one of those once (cheap labor)except he grew up and won't do anything now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Cheap Labor" isn't all it's cracked up to be...and if I introduced a drill & socket into the picture, that's just two more things my Cheap Labor <STRIKE>could</STRIKE> WOULD loose!! Plus, the next time I went to use it, the battery would be dead because he didn't put it back in the charger, because he lost it (AND THE CHARGER)! See where this is going?!

ONe of my favorite sayings is: "If you don't want to get shot in Watts, don't go there- avoid it like the plague"! It's worked for me!

And Dave...as far as the pinning when it's up, the newer A&E awning systems are much better and easier to use- not quite sure which you've got, but I don't see any problem with keeping it rolled up. But they sure do like to come loose when they're extended.

And I might add that if you just calculated the room & board it takes to maintain Cheap Labor, you'll find there's NUTTIN' cheap about it!! Hopefully, when we're in our Golden Years will they have enough savvy and fortune to payback that debt!

Sean