Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #15

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Anyone has a KZ Sportsman Sportster I'm looking to buy new need a upgrade from my 06
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #16

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I like the 305TH Sportster the weight is just right.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
I read all the post's, and did not see what kind of truck you bought, I only bring this up because the toy hauler's you are looking at are at the upper end of most light duty trucks towing capability, you are now treading into the MDT or HDT hauling capacity, we have an 07 fifth wheel toy hauler with a GVWR of 18,500 pounds and went with a Freightliner FL-60, I towed the trailer home from South Dakota to Washington state with a 1992 Dodge SRW drive diesel 1 ton truck, the difference between a LDT and MDT is night and day
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #18

LA Gulf Coast Campers
2012 Ram 2500 w/ 6.7 L Diesel 3.7:3 Axle
Old 07-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #19

LA Gulf Coast Campers
The GVWR for the 305TH is 11,000 and my truck weight is 7970.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:29 AM   #20

LA Gulf Coast Campers
The dealer said my GCWR was 18,800 lbs.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPRam View Post
The dealer said my GCWR was 18,800 lbs.
please dont tell me you just blindly took the dealers word on that without checking it out on an independent site like trailer life towing guide
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #22

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I found one on forest river website it's close to what he said. It's all in what you have in and on your truck. The more you have on the less you can pull. 4x4 - 8 foot bed - crewcab it all changes, more weight - less weight.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #23

Fifth wheel toy hauler

Looking at suitable toy haulers for full-time living, but concerned about length. Need enough space to live comfortably, but worried about state/Nat. parks accommodating 40 ft. Any ideas? Would like to stick with 36 ft. husband wants 40 ft. Heartland Cyclone. I want to be able to go to all the State parks! Compromise????
dmillertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #24

Depends on the state. From what little research (and as you can see from the sig block, no practical experience) from Recreation.gov it looks like the 35' to 40' transition in Colorado doesn't limit you that much. Of course, I'm told especially back east that's a much bigger consideration.

Hopefully soon-to-be owners of a 3500 Ram Dually/Momentum 380TH
wrp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #25

I bought a XLR Thunderbolt 300x12 because of the 12' garage. GCWR is 13,800. I have had it about 17 months and have been very happy with it. The only trouble I have had was 1 flat tire - should have changed those factory tires before leaving the house. When I load up with 2 dirt bikes and a mid-size street bike, plus the other stuff needed for a month on the road, the weight is very near the max. It does not have a second bath or a island in the kitchen. It only has 2 slides. It tows very well with my 1 ton dually diesel.

We live near the Savannah River, close to Augusta, GA. Our rig will not fit in a lot of the parks along the river. In fact, 30' seems to be the optimum length for the older state/federal parks on the east coast.

I look for the biggest camping sites so that I have room to unload and park my bikes. This one in Priest Gulch RV Resort (Colorado) was the best.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #26

I would also look at the new Evergreen Tesla 3970, 3950, or the 3914 coming out in October. I looked and researched almost every toy hauler made...including custom toy haulers that you can order from Horizon and DRV...very nice, but expensive.

I really liked the Voltage 3895, but then I did my research (a lot) and found out the Voltage is the poorest quality toy hauler made...disappointing. But they do have nice features.Many of the Voltage quality issues recently are due to the fast production to meet demand and the QC is terrible...but there are many happy Voltage owners. But they too had many problems when they accepted delivery and a few ongoing issues.

Although they are relatively new to the market the Evergreen Tesla is constructed very well. Example the tie downs in the garage area are mounted to the frame. (Voltage mounted to 5/8 plywood). The Cyclone also very good here since theirs are mounted to 1" plywood and screwed to the frame. Voltage tie down rating is 2500 lbs, Cyclone 4000 lbs, and the Tesla is at 6000 lbs.

The Crossroads is nice, but I didn't like them as much as I did the others...you can check their construction and compare to the Cyclone and Tesla. Although most toyhaulers have nice touches..almost all do not offer a residential fridge (with icemaker, and large freezing capacity)..Evergreen does offer it in the 3914 coming out in October. Although they do not come with the residential fridge in the 3950 and 3970, you can order it and they will install it. (Look at the fridge in the Bay Hill 379 or the Lifestyle...also by Evergreen)

As I mentioned I did a couple of months research, with phone calls and information from the toy hauler reps on construction techniques, and in my opinion the Evergreen Tesla is superior to all of them. They don't have as many models out now as the other manufacturers, but what they have so far is very nice!

We found a dealer that had the 3950 (w/dishwasher) and he is installing the residential fridge that Evergreen is providing). He's also installing the rear back up camera for us (standard on the Voltage). Tesla comes with one of the best mattresses on the RV market. We have the King bed option, with the Denver Mattress "pillow" top mattress. This is one of the the things Voltage and other fall short on...they can all upgrade the mattress from the cheap one they provide. This is standard on all Tesla's.
Voltage and Tesla both come with the microwave/convection oven...the others do not(including Crossroads)

What I recommend to anyone buying a large 5th wheel...have your dealer agree to let you live in it (on site) to test all mechanical and operational systems..slide outs..electronics, plumbing, electrical, etc. and they can fix them if needed before you go out and have to bring it back.

As I mentioned...Crossroads builds a good toy hauler. For my tastes I liked the Cyclone and Tesla much better for quality...and obviously the Tesla just above the Cyclone. Good luck with whichever Toy Hauler you decide to buy.
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #27

I liked the Cyclone as well along with the Voltage, both have a lot of "whistles"...but found that the Evergreen Tesla had the higher quality and the you can get a residential fridge w/icemaker and larger freezer. In 2 of the Evergreen Tesla models you can also get the dishwasher..which comes in handy!

The Cyclone is the most popular on the market right now and with the factory trying to meet the high demand, they are having quality control issues. If you buy any toy hauler, have your dealer agree to et you live in it for a couple of days on site before you leave with it! They will fix any problem much faster this way as well.
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillertime View Post
Looking at suitable toy haulers for full-time living, but concerned about length. Need enough space to live comfortably, but worried about state/Nat. parks accommodating 40 ft. Any ideas? Would like to stick with 36 ft. husband wants 40 ft. Heartland Cyclone. I want to be able to go to all the State parks! Compromise????
Somewhat off topic - I have a Class A Toyhauler, but the experience should be similar. I Fulltime and have utilized a bunch of state and federal parks along with military campsites whenever possible. Yes, there have been a few where it just wasn't practical (or possible) to get a 38' Toyhauler in the park. Primarily because of height issues, not length - although I did experience that in South Dakota once, but only once. Another consideration I've learned is turning and backing radiance. I was in Iowa and the first campsite I was assigned had trees so close together along the roadway that I could not clear the angles. If I'd have been a 32-35 footer I would have been fine. It was just that close.

With a 40' rig (not including the tow vehicle) you'd have some challenges. I suspect, with proper planning,,and some detailed discussions with the park(s) in advance, you should find plenty of places where you can stay in comfort.

Good luck!