Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #1

Choosing a Toy Hauler

Well, we sold our motor home and have gotten a truck for towing a fifth wheel toy hauler. Now to buy the toy hauler. We have looked at a Voltage 3605, Spartan 1234X and now a Crosroads Elevation TF3840. We were leaning toward a 39' but neither the Voltage or Spartan have the exact amenities we were looking for. The Elevation comes closer but it's 42'4" even though the salesman said it was 41'. I've looked at ratings on RV Guide and if the smaller the number the better the trailer the Spartan has the best rating with the Voltage next. Anybody have any experience with the Crossroads? I'm not sure that I trust the salesman since he knew we were looking for a smaller trailer so he told us a shorter length.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

Have you looked at the Jayco Seismic's? I've walked through a couple that we've sold and they appear to be decent units, although I've not had a chance to work on any of them yet, so I'll reserve my opinion until such time! :-)

Seismic Toy Haulers | Jayco, Inc.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

We had a Jayco Eagle and loved it. We never had a speck of trouble with it but Jayco doesn't make a fifth wheel toy hauler that has a floor plan that works for us.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #4

Well, happy hunting.. that's 1/2 the fun.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Danny View Post
Well, we sold our motor home and have gotten a truck for towing a fifth wheel toy hauler. Now to buy the toy hauler. We have looked at a Voltage 3605, Spartan 1234X and now a Crosroads Elevation TF3840. We were leaning toward a 39' but neither the Voltage or Spartan have the exact amenities we were looking for. The Elevation comes closer but it's 42'4" even though the salesman said it was 41'. I've looked at ratings on RV Guide and if the smaller the number the better the trailer the Spartan has the best rating with the Voltage next. Anybody have any experience with the Crossroads? I'm not sure that I trust the salesman since he knew we were looking for a smaller trailer so he told us a shorter length.
Howdy!

You may want to take a look a Heartland Cyclone 300c. The lenght is 40.5 feet but your not towing that much. The unquie design may fit your needs.

< Heartland Toy Haulers | Heartland RVs

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 07-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #6

Thanks, Chiefneon, for the suggestion but the Cyclone 300c doesn't have a half-bath in the garage plus the kitchen isn't big enough. That was one of the complaints about the Monaco Monarch we had--the cabinet top didn't have a big enough working space. We've had some type of rv rig since 1973 and kind of have certain things in mind that we want. One time we bought a Sportsman that didn't have a slide in the bedroom thinking, "We will only sleep there so it will be fine". Yep, we kept it maybe a year. Of course the bedroom wasn't the only issue but it was one.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Voltage V3600 New 2014 Dutchmen RV Voltage V3600 Toy Hauler Fifth Wheels at Windish RV Center Longmont Colorado Windish RV Center

Fuzion 371 New 2014 Dutchmen RV Voltage V3600 Toy Hauler Fifth Wheels at Windish RV Center Longmont Colorado Windish RV Center
Old 07-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #8

Only seen Crossroads at RV shows. Any thing specific you are looking to have in it?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #9

Look at the Newmar X-Aire....its a fine toy hauler. Kountry Aire interior with the toy hauler in back.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #10

I have no suggestion for a trailer but I do have a suggestion lol. I see Harley in your name you will want to check the angle of the ramp into the trailer. I have an Electra Glide the first time I pulled my bike in I nailed the bottom of the frame on the angle point.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #11

Freestyle21, we have used two aluminum ramps to load the Harley onto a utility trailer to elevate dragging the tailpipes on the tailgate. We were wondering if we would need to use those when loading into the toy hauler. Any suggestions about how to take care of the problem?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Freestyle21, we have used two aluminum ramps to load the Harley onto a utility trailer to elevate dragging the tailpipes on the tailgate. We were wondering if we would need to use those when loading into the toy hauler. Any suggestions about how to take care of the problem?
On the first trip I had to unhook from the truck and jack the front up. After that I had a 12x12 block of wood that I put under the ramp door and used a peice of 2x12 for my initial ramp to the ramp door. I hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #13

That should help. We may be able to use our metal ramps but just modify how they're placed. Did the piece of wood under the ramp put a strain on the ramp?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
That should help. We may be able to use our metal ramps but just modify how they're placed. Did the piece of wood under the ramp put a strain on the ramp?
I don't think so I've done it about 10 times. It's in the center and the hinge is in the center also. I've also had a Sandrail and a RZR in and out probably a hundred times.