Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #15

Thanks, Dtwallace. Common sense indicated that would be the case, but we all know better than to rely on that when dealing with public servants.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
You need an endorsement for fifth wheels with GVWR from #10,001 to #15,000 and a non commercial A for fifth wheels over #15,000 GVWR.
let me clarify... Any bumper pull rv trailer over 10k.

Pre-inspection is not that bad if you study for it. Where is the 50% failure rate published? If you prepare a little, there shouldn't be a big problem.

No written documentation, only comments made from the inspector after I breezed thru it.

Your buddy's situation is what made me get the required license. That cop should have given him a fix it ticket but that's the guy going for a promotion.
I think the CHP are trying to limit their liability, once they know sending the driver on his way could become an issue with an accident.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
If you are legal in the state you are licensed in, then you are legal in all other states you visit.

DTW
True except in 3 states. Reprocicity doesn't apply in Colorado. I'm guessing with other two states and my memory recalls Arkansas and Mass, but I'll find it and edit if incorrect.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a list of the states that are a part of the Driver License Compact that recognize driver's licences issued by the driver's home state.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #19

And my state of Tennessee is not in your list. Does that mean Tennessee doesn't recognize driver licenses from other states? Or that no other state recognizes a Tennessee driver license? The TSA does recognize a Tennessee license.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #20

I think you are confusing this pact with something it isn't,

The Driver License Compact is an interstate compact used by States of the United States to exchange information concerning license suspensions and traffic violations of non-residents and forward them to the state where they are licensed known as the home state. Its theme is One Driver, One License, One Record. The home state would treat the offense as if it had been committed at home, applying home state laws to the out-of-state offense. The action taken would include, but not be limited to, points assessed on a minor offense such as speeding and suspension of license or a major violation such as DWI/DUI. It is not supposed to include non-moving violations like parking tickets, tinted windows, loud exhaust, etc.

It is (Not) meant to restrict the privilege to operate in other states what you are legally licensed to operate in you home state.

The only restrictions that I've been aware of is where one state's legal driving age, and authorized times of operation come into play.

Those restrictions are note when ever that person is issued the restricted license.

(Except as expressly required by provisions of this compact, nothing contained herein shall be construed to affect the right of any party state to apply any of its other laws relating to licenses to drive to any person or circumstance, nor to invalidate or prevent any driver license agreement or other cooperative arrangement between a party state and a nonparty state.)

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #21

Dan, you're right on. The list I'm referring to, although, I can't seem to find, is the differences by state that other states accept based on the drivers home state.
For example, California's max height for a towed trailer is 14'. However Colorado's max is only 13'. Technically, the Colorado highway patrol could cite you, if exceeding their height limit because they don't recognize Reprocity.
On the other hand, CA max combined length is 65'. If I drove through Indiana where their max is 60', they wouldn't cite me based on the fact that I'm licensed in CA and they are one of 47 states that allow for Reprocity.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2millers View Post
Dan, you're right on. The list I'm referring to, although, I can't seem to find, is the differences by state that other states accept based on the drivers home state.
For example, California's max height for a towed trailer is 14'. However Colorado's max is only 13'. Technically, the Colorado highway patrol could cite you, if exceeding their height limit because they don't recognize Reprocity.
On the other hand, CA max combined length is 65'. If I drove through Indiana where their max is 60', they wouldn't cite me based on the fact that I'm licensed in CA and they are one of 47 states that allow for Reprocity.
Ok, yes sir I see where you're getting this info now.

This is based on commercial vehicle standards and not the driver license. You are absolutely correct and can find this info under vehicle standards (FMC) federal motor carriers codes for each state.

A truckers atlas has all the info, as does the FMC booklet you can purchase at any truck stop.

So basically, you just need to separate drivers license requirements from excepted vehicle operation in the aforementioned states.

Hope that clears it up.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Just got my class A license so now I'm legal with a CA issued driver license. If anyone has been putting it off, just go do it, it's not that bad.

Read the RV handbook from the DMV (you can find it online). Then watch the Class A pre-trip inspection on YouTube a few times. Walk around your truck and trailer a few times practicing to yourself and you should do ok on the pre trip inspection.

For the skills portion, they had me drive through a straight section of cones that were set to create a "lane" approximately 12' wide. Pull ahead a couple hundred feet and then back up to the starting point where there was a painted line on the ground and honk my horn when backed to the line.

Next was the 90 degree ally dock. A 12' wide rectangle was marked off with painted lines and cones. You start at approximately 90 degrees and back the trailer into the rectangle that is set up. It is a point accumulation so if you hit a cone or pull up you get points (you don't want to be assigned to many points. I pulled up twice because I have a 13' tail swing and couldn't see anything on the passenger side so I hugged up tight to the driver side. You back up till you are ar the rear of the rectangle and honk your horn. There is a 3' deep painted box at the back of the rectangle. The idea is to get the back of the trailer inside that box.

From there, they put a cone out on your passenger side and you make a turn around it and try to get as close as possible with the trailer tires without hitting it.

Then you do some in town driving, lane changes, left and right turns, do a bit of freeway driving, merging, etc.

You don't have to be perfect. Now I'm not concerned about potential insurance issues or the random 24 year old CHP officer wanting to impress his boss.

I have a couple of questions. What does the written questions portion consist of? I scheduled my appt at my local DMV and no one there seemed to know much about the Class a noncom license. They had to go to the back to find the RV handbook and then told me that I will also need to study the CDL handbook. Is this true?

Will I be issued a temporary permit follow the written exam? I will towing on our vacation before I will have a chance to take the skills portion.
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:38 PM   #24

Yep, read the RV handbook but study the CDL booK for the written test. You can also find class A CDL practice tests online. If you haven't taken your Class C in a while, you will also have to take that written test. Same is true for the motorcycle written test if you haven't done that recently.

After you pass the written tests, you will be issued a permit. The permit says you need a licensed class A driver with you until you get your license. It didn't do much good for me. I figured if I at least had my permit, an officer would figure I was taking steps to be legit and go easy.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Yep, read the RV handbook but study the CDL booK for the written test. You can also find class A CDL practice tests online. If you haven't taken your Class C in a while, you will also have to take that written test. Same is true for the motorcycle written test if you haven't done that recently.

After you pass the written tests, you will be issued a permit. The permit says you need a licensed class A driver with you until you get your license. It didn't do much good for me. I figured if I at least had my permit, an officer would figure I was taking steps to be legit and go easy.

Thank you for the info. Did you get pulled over and cited with only the permit?
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhix View Post
I have a couple of questions. What does the written questions portion consist of? I scheduled my appt at my local DMV and no one there seemed to know much about the Class a noncom license. They had to go to the back to find the RV handbook and then told me that I will also need to study the CDL handbook. Is this true?

Will I be issued a temporary permit follow the written exam? I will towing on our vacation before I will have a chance to take the skills portion.
I had the same issue here in CA. Nobody quite knew which test to give me to get the class C towing endorsement so they gave me the class A non commercial. It was about 20 questions and none as I recalled were any from the class C testing. All had to do with info from the rv or commercial A handbooks.

Once I received my class A non Comm permit, I just decided to get the A license instead. Glad I did, knowing I purchased an rv over 15k gvw which required it here.

It then allows you to drive with another class A license holder to practice. You may be cited if you get pulled over without the license but only the permit. I'd like to think they'd give you a break too.

Btw, when I took the skills test, my instructor said I had to be within 4" of the cone with one of my trailer tires when making the right turn, without hitting the cone.

The commercial handbook has a good pre inspection checklist to review before taking the driving portion.

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhix View Post
Thank you for the info. Did you get pulled over and cited with only the permit?
I never had an encounter with law enforcement. I don't think many local PD's or sheriff deputy's are familiar with this requirement (but don't count on it). I spoke to a couple deputies and they had no idea. Since CA released so many prisoners back to the county, local law enforcement have more on their plate to deal with than a guy pulling a camper. I would think CHP would be the knowledgable agency. My biggest concern was insurance in the event of an accident.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Read the RV handbook from the DMV (you can find it online). Then watch the Class A pre-trip inspection on YouTube a few times. Walk around your truck and trailer a few times practicing to yourself and you should do ok on the pre trip inspection.
Would you mind elaborating a bit on how the pre-trip inspection portion of the test worked? Thanks!
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a