Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 05:55 AM   #1

Cleaning fresh water tank

I did A few searches and couldn't really find what I was looking for. I am looking to flush and clean my fresh water tank on my Weekend Warrior. I have read thing that say use bleach (something like a cup per gal) others say don't use bleach. Some say use Apple vinegar.

So what would be the best method to cleaning and freshening up my fresh water tank?
PyroTekRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:13 AM   #2

Cup per gallon is way to much. !/4 cup per 15 gallons of water. Fill tank and run fixtures till you smell bleach at each one. Let set at least 3 hours ( overnight is fine), Drain and flush twice.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:50 AM   #3

I couldn't recall so it was just a guess on the 1 cup per.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Bleach. But not much. It takes a long time to get the bad taste out of the lines if you do.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #5

I can imagine. That's why some people said vinegar.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

1oz bleach per gal of h2o
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
1oz per 8 gallons if using unscented Clorox seems to be the going recommendation.
Unless I feel there is a serious problem. I use even less than that.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
Cup per gallon is way to much. !/4 cup per 15 gallons of water. Fill tank and run fixtures till you smell bleach at each one. Let set at least 3 hours ( overnight is fine), Drain and flush twice.
Exactly! Have used his method for the past 12 years and never an issue with taste or with the system. Disinfects the system without damaging anything. The 1/4 cup per 15 gallons is the way to go, so if you have a 30 gallon tank, you are only using 1/2 cup total.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I'll have to check my fresh tank on my 05 Weekend Warrior fs3000. And get it cleaned.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Some people have used Hydrogen Peroxide instead of bleach.

I sanitized my fresh water back when I first purchased the coach in 12/2003. It hasn't been sanitized ever again as it gets used frequently enough to not worry about it.

Although I just remembered that on our trip to Alaska in 2012 I took on some bad shore water at the Riverview RV Park in North Pole Alaska so I had to clean my tank and water softener right after that happened. Too much iron in the water. Basically it looked like rusty water.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water