Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #1

Convert Garage Into a Bedroom?

Hi! I was hoping that some of you could give me advice regarding turning the garage on a toy hauler into a bedroom. The rv's that we like just aren't available for sale (like the 2009 Newmar 4156 w/Imagination Room & the 2011 Fleetwood Discovery with back bunkhouse), so I'm trying to look at this from another angle. Is it possible to do this? Or is it too much of a garage? My husband could be a carpenter as well as a mechanic b/c he is so good at both (I'M bragging about him, he's not (-; ), so I'm sure that if it is doable, he can do it. I just didn't know if it's advisable. We so love the aforementioned rv's because of the extra room in the back of each one. We have five children (two of whom are grown, so I don't know how often they'd travel with us), one of whom is special needs and REALLY needs to be closed-off from everyone else at night in order for him to go to sleep (he's 12). I don't want to be dying to go home from vacation b/c we were too cramped in the "wrong" rv.

If what I'm asking about is considered "normal" (-; , are there any particular brands that lend themselves to a conversion like this? I saw that someone had thought of doing this with an Outlaw but didn't go through with it due to the back not being as stable as it should be.

Thank you for any information anyone can give me (-: !
Miliaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Many toy haulers have bunks either up on a shelf above the door from the inside RV or have flip down bunks fastened to the sides. Check various brands of toy haulers to see options. Many have turned the flip down door into a horizontal deck that they roof over and screen the sides to make an outdoor room. Lots of options.

I don't understand you comment about being not stable, it's a pretty firm floor to carry motorcycles and the lot and is no less stable than the rear bedroom of a similar length RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have used our garage for a guest room quite a lot. It is the best for having a multi-use space.

First thing was the bed set-up. We use a trundle that has 2 singles that nest when not being used.
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-10.jpeg
Views:	1139
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	84021
Others have added a murphy bed. Typical factory options included a set of wall mounted bench/bunks, a drop-down queen bed/bench, or an in wall murphy bed.

You can see the second piece of making the space comfortable in the photo - flooring. We got a nice carpet remanent at the hardware store - cheap. Cut to fit and it can be rolled-up if needed.

The final part of the conversion is temperature control. The garage is often at the end of the aircon and furnace lines and can be hard to manage like the rest of the RV, so we use a small electric space heater and portable aircon just for the garage as needed.

It works very well for an extra room, just like in a house. To us, most RV's are designed for an adult couple or small family that share most all of the RV. We have need for separate space, and the Toy Hauler gives us exactly what we need.

See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f49/damon...ml#post1804895

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To be able to access the garage while driving...There are a number of Class A Toy Haulers that have been made in the last decade...see options here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote