Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:33 AM   #29

Tom, if you have room, consider GP29 batteries. The walmart GP29 has (I think)215AH.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
Tom, if you have room, consider GP29 batteries. The walmart GP29 has (I think)215AH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for the info but I'm kind of stuck with the 27's right now. Several times I've been asked why I don't switch to 6 volts or something else but the issue is: I use my batteries back and forth between my boat and other things so I need to continue using the gp27 ones so they will fit. Good info though!

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #31

Vette Racer and others,

I just got around to doing this.

Why? Last weekend at Dumont, whenever I turned the gennie off, it would blow the 2 30 amp fuses that feed the converter/charger. The ones installed on the wall just above the batts. What I found was that my model year already has 2 8ga wires running from the converter/charger to the batts protected by those 2 30amp fuses.

Now, the fuse box that houses all the 12 volt fuses that is installed next to the converter is connected to the same 2 wires that run from the converter to those 2 30 amp fuses.

I figured that whenever I shut the gennie off, too much current was trying to be pulled through those 2 8ga wires so BOOM, the fuses blow.

So what I did was run two new 4 ga wires to the converter. I bought a new dual 50 amp fuse holder that connects to the batts using 2 ga battery cables. This I feel is more than sufficient to handle the surge.

I am in the process now of draining my batteries to simulate the surge that I should get from the 80 amp charger. I will post my results after I'm done testing.

I do have one question. Do I need to also increase the size of the white wires that run from the negative terminals of the converter to the common bus bar?

Thanks and sorry for the long post
Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Kevlar, sounds like yours is wired somewhat different from mine. Mine had the one 8 gage wire running directly to the bats from the converter and the wire to the fuse panel was a separate wire going to another place on the converter, same electrically, just different. Of course I only had one 30amp fuse also. To answer your question I did not change the white wires. My thinking is these wires is the current being drawn by the coach and I was just interested in the current draw from the converter to the bats as I had not changed anything in the coach that would require more than the 30 amps. So far no problems and my bats charge up a lot quicker. Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #33

I ran the batts down to 11.66 volts and turned her on. I have a Xantrex battery monitor that measures the inflow of juice. It showed 78 amps! This leveled off to 40 something later.

The 2 50 amp fuses got hot but never blew. The wires never got hot. It took about 3.5 hours to get the 4 T105's up to 100% Does that sound about right?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I didn't measure the current on mine but the time sounds about right. That last bit takes awhile since the amps fall off quite a bit as the bats come up. When I was running the genset I just tried to keep the bats about 3/4 or better, didn't worry about topping them off. Since I used two 40 amp circuit breakers in parallel for each circuit mine never showed any heat, wires or breakers. Basically all I need to do now is run the genset for other needs and it keeps the bats up too so I don't have to worry about running the thing for periods of time when I don't really need it. I THINK you will like it!

I almost forgot, during the six days I spent in the trailer during the ice storm and power outage I ran the genset 5 hrs a day to keep the freezers and frig's nice and cold. The rest of the time I used my inverter to run the Dish receiver and tv only, used a light or two, water pump, ran the frig, heater, and all that off the 12 volts. Never had a problem with the bats, they were peaked after 5 hrs.