Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I figured that I'd change out the converter on my WW from a 30 amp to a 80 amp so I could get my batteries up quicker when I boondock using the genset. Ok, that works pretty good as long as the batteries don't get too far down. As a test I discharged them to less than 50% and this is what I found out. First of all, I had introduced a 50 amp circuit breaker to replace the 30 amp fuse that WW installed by the batteries, well, the first thing I noticed is the circuit breaker is kicking off and on, next thing I noticed is the 8 gage wire is getting hot at the batteries. Too much current for the wire and the circuit breaker when the batteries are down!

So..I am in the process of installing an additional 8 gage circuit (since the converter doesn't have the ability to handle a "really" larger wire) in parallel with the original circuit with two 40amp circuit breakers in parallel in each circuit. It'll be interesting to see if this works. I should know this weekend.

Something to keep in mind if you decide to up your converter size a bunch.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I figured that I'd change out the converter on my WW from a 30 amp to a 80 amp so I could get my batteries up quicker when I boondock using the genset. Ok, that works pretty good as long as the batteries don't get too far down. As a test I discharged them to less than 50% and this is what I found out. First of all, I had introduced a 50 amp circuit breaker to replace the 30 amp fuse that WW installed by the batteries, well, the first thing I noticed is the circuit breaker is kicking off and on, next thing I noticed is the 8 gage wire is getting hot at the batteries. Too much current for the wire and the circuit breaker when the batteries are down!

So..I am in the process of installing an additional 8 gage circuit (since the converter doesn't have the ability to handle a "really" larger wire) in parallel with the original circuit with two 40amp circuit breakers in parallel in each circuit. It'll be interesting to see if this works. I should know this weekend.

Something to keep in mind if you decide to up your converter size a bunch.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, It seems to work. I'll let you know after I get back but its all in and appears to work.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:05 AM   #4

I would imagine parallel wires to the battery wouldn't cause a problem...

Out of curiosity, what are you running for a battery bank?
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #5

In a sense I did kinda the same thing, well almost. Not hooked up yet. I installed a 2000w inverter/charger last year & its too slow to charge w/generater. I think its 10 amp. So I thought buying a Napa 2/10/75 amp portable charger & juice the bank w/75 then switch it out to auto. It might work better. Hope yours goes well. I'm sure you'll be much happier charging twice as quick !---Proflow
Old 09-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
I would imagine parallel wires to the battery wouldn't cause a problem...

Out of curiosity, what are you running for a battery bank? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm using 3-12v deep cycles, group 27. When we're not dry camping I put two of them in the boat for the trolling motor. That way I don't have to buy seperate batteries for each.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #7

I was kind of estimating that a person might need 600 something amp hours worth of storage capacity to be able to charge at 80 amps?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:52 PM   #8

I was kind of guestimating that it would take a lot of battery to accept 80 amps charging current...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I don't know about the 80 but I can guarantee they were pulling more than 50.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #10

Cool.

Post back, if you would, when you know how long it takes to bring your batteries back to full charge, from say 10.5v...

A bigger, better converter is something I've been thinking about, too.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I should have a good feel for how things work after 4 weeks out and about. I'll let you know around the first of Nov.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #12

Tom, I went to the 80 amp Intellicharger last week as well and havent noticed any problems yet. Can you further explain what you mean about wiring an additional 8 gage circuit. How did you do this? Pics would be really nice
Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Kevlar

My wife has the camera but its really simple.

All I did was add an additional 8 gage wire that runs from the + side of the converter to the two 40 amp circuit breakers (tied in parallel) then to the + side of the batteries. In this way I have two 8 gage wires feeding the batteries while going though a total of 4 circuit breakers (2ea wired together). The main reason for the fuse or circuit breaker is to protect the rest of the trailer in case a wire should short out or something like that so the batteries would "disconnect". I would have used a 80 amp fuse or breaker but couldn't find one but I could get the 40 amp ones for 6.95 ea so thats why I did that part of it. You are using the same converter that I am and it works fine on the existing wiring until the batteries are discharged down quite a bit, also mine had a 30 amp fuse in the wire to the batteries that was all corroded and needed replacing too, besides the fact it would have been too small for a heavy charge.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #14

I think I gotcha.

Since I have 4 6 volt trojans should I connect the additional wire to the opposite battery or to the same one as the original cable or do you think it matters?

Also I have a question that has baffled me for years, how many amp hours will 4 T120's give me?