Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Covers for winter

Hello everyone. I'm considering buying a cover for my camper this winter. Any suggestions or opinions? Camping world normally has some good sales on them. Are they worth it? Thanks in advance for the replies!
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
I think this is a loaded question. For me I will not get one for two reasons. Biggest is I am lucky to have indoor storage.

But if the cover gets sand/dust inbetween the cover and the rv it will scratch the RV up real bad. now you may get lucky.

Other issue with cover is it could rip from a corner of your RV and just keep going till cover is shot.

If I had the extra money I would probably try it just to see how good they hold up.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have covered my rig every since it was new. I use ADCO designer series from Camping World. There are many differing opinions on cover use; I am glad I cover mine because I am convinced it has preserved the outside appearance and the life on tires etc. I am on my third cover in ten years. I expect to get five years out of this one because they have improved the design.

But there are some caveats:

I am a seasonal user. So I remove my cover and install it (I do this myself) about four times per year. If you are using the MH frequently then this could be a real pain.

Covers do rub on your MH no matter how tight you get them. I have suffered very little rubbing and I am not too particular about tying it down tight. Any spots I quickly hand rubbed out and the gel coat is fine.

Covers rip. They hang over the edge of awning appendages, antenna mounts etc; and anywhere there are protusions gravity is all it takes and they rip. I patch mine by hand every year and it stay plenty servicable. Covering these appendages with soft material helps a lot but it adds to the time it takes to get the thing on and off.

If you live in a high wind area it will increase the stresses on your cover and enhance all the ripping and rubbing. My storage area and location is partially sheltered from direct wind buffeting. Wind is wind but I get some relief. But one year my older cover was ripped basically off, it was time to replace and the fabric was deteriorated so I just replaced it but it happened.

Most people do not cover their rigs. In the storage area where I keep mine I am the only one covered. Theres are very dirty mine is still as clean as I was when I stored it many months ago.

My gel coat is very shiny after ten years but I also wax at least once per year.

So that is about as fair of a perspective as I can give you from someone who believes in covering. I cover; most people don't. What is right? I haven't a clue; but I will continue to cover my rig.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #4

I too am interested to hear about this.....I wonder if they are good for those who plan on keeping their MH outside in the frigid, snowy/icey weather.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, I plan to purchase a ADCO cover from camping world. They seem to have the best price and it comes with a 2 yr warrenty. Extra straps to keep it tight my be a good idea.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't reply before 'cuz I have no "snowy winter" input...I use a cover for the hot SoCal Sun. But I will share about buying a mid-grade cover - Just FYI - CW is not always a good price...I'll use my previous post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
My current cover was just a mail order for the size that fit - currently have a Formosa cover from Amazon. Like item #290739196766 on ebay right-now.

The makers are pretty much all the same in the moderately priced cover market - Adco, Elite, Expedition, and Formosa are all resold through CW, Amazon, ebay, JCWhitney, etc.

-EXAMPLES-

Attachment 26060

Attachment 26061

Attachment 26062

The key is to order the right length and height (the size that fits the Outlaw's 37'4" body, bumper to bumper and 12'6" tail) which is usally the tallest height they make to fit the high rear end.

This will get you a straight square box shape...the slack on the sloped front-end roofline and angled windshield is just folded over and cinched with the end straps.

For high winds - you will want to use EVERY tie-down eyelet along the covers hem to keep it from blowing-out which could cause it to rip open.
I WOULD AVOID THE "UNIVERSAL" COVERS THAT LOOK LIKE A BIG BAG. They are less $$, but have no zippers to help with entry while parked and while installing, plus they are made with much cheaper material (especially on the roof) and cannot be cinched at the ends..;.like this
Attachment 26063

That's just what I have learned.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Steve and Kim, I will certainly look at other brands and sites before purchasing. Shopping around is always good.