Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #1

I have been using my direct TV and dish I set up when we go camping since I bought the WW. I just undid the wall outlet and grabbed the input from the side of the WW and then split the TV out and ran two tube type TV's one in the living room and one in the bedroom. This worked great except for the missing stock wall outlet with that stupid power splitter. So now that I'm home we decide to by a 26" Samsung LCD for the living room. So I decide to do the sat mod make the stock wall outlet all nice again. Well that doesn't work it introduces noise into the system so I go back to my splitter and all is well, wall plug looks good and the bedroom TV works fine running a short cable to the new jack on the stock wall outlet from the simple power splitter. Than I decide to run the new LCD off of the 1800 watt inverter and DOH I have a power supply hum from the LCD and it introduces static lines on the Bedroom TV. Hmm that's not good so I go to Best Buy and buy one of them $80.00 power filter surge protectors and the hum is still their. I give up I'm about to put the 21" tube TV back in their and give up on this LCD thing.

Anybody have problems running their new LCD's off of the power inverter? It works fine when hooked up to line power but when on the inverter it has an electronic hum and squiggly static lines on both TV's

I know the Inverter is good but I don't know if the LCD is good or just way to sensitive power supply wise. Maybe another brand would be better. Any Thoughts

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #2

I have been using my direct TV and dish I set up when we go camping since I bought the WW. I just undid the wall outlet and grabbed the input from the side of the WW and then split the TV out and ran two tube type TV's one in the living room and one in the bedroom. This worked great except for the missing stock wall outlet with that stupid power splitter. So now that I'm home we decide to by a 26" Samsung LCD for the living room. So I decide to do the sat mod make the stock wall outlet all nice again. Well that doesn't work it introduces noise into the system so I go back to my splitter and all is well, wall plug looks good and the bedroom TV works fine running a short cable to the new jack on the stock wall outlet from the simple power splitter. Than I decide to run the new LCD off of the 1800 watt inverter and DOH I have a power supply hum from the LCD and it introduces static lines on the Bedroom TV. Hmm that's not good so I go to Best Buy and buy one of them $80.00 power filter surge protectors and the hum is still their. I give up I'm about to put the 21" tube TV back in their and give up on this LCD thing.

Anybody have problems running their new LCD's off of the power inverter? It works fine when hooked up to line power but when on the inverter it has an electronic hum and squiggly static lines on both TV's

I know the Inverter is good but I don't know if the LCD is good or just way to sensitive power supply wise. Maybe another brand would be better. Any Thoughts

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 10-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #3

My LCD works fine off a 400W inverter that powers the DVD/VCR player too. What kind of inverter? I have a cheap Westinghouse LCD and a cheap PepBoys inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Is the inverter picking up noise from something else?

I am not much help with this electronic stuff other than giving it a good whack. Good luck

2006 WW LE3305 Billet
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #4

Sandjunkie its a Xantrex 1750 wired the 56Nomand way. It's powered anything I put to it. even has a little load LED bar and with both TV's it doesn't even light up the first bar. The LCD TV's are suposed to draw alot less than a tube TV. This ones specs are 150W. My 21" tube TV draws alot more but works better...go figure. Problem is I would have to go buy a new LCD to verify this is AFU.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 10-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #5

Hey Donno:

If I remember correctly, you have the Xantrex 1750 Plus, right? Here's the portion of the user's manual that explains how to troubleshoot TV reception and Audio Buzz problems (see section 5-2, or page 53).

I have just a tiny little buzz in my computer sound system, but it's not even worth worrying about...have no idea why a LCD TV would have any problems...good luck!

Sean
Old 10-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #6

Sean What's up bout dang time I got back on here huh! The manual is all the posible problems for dummies IE is the power switch on. It's not an audio hum from the speakers its coming from the power supply. Figures my cheap tube TV's work fine and the bedroom TV is 16 years old and quiet as a mouse. We've made the dicision to send it back to Amazon. I'm headed to Sam's to buy a little smaler one and to see what happens. This one might go in the bedroom when I find another 26" THAT DON'T HUM.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 10-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #7

Senoir Donno:

Well, actually, they had some good tips even IF your setup was fine. In all my speaker/microphone/digital/component hookup wire usage as a DJ, I've learned to spend the money UP FRONT for quality hookup cables, of course, this was AFTER I spent a fortune in Radio Shack cr@p for many years. Now if I buy one, it's either at Guitar Center or Sams Music. If you saw the umpteen bins I've got of cables and such, you'd understand!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #8

Understand that Sean old buddy. This is one of those things that should just work. I have checked and changed out all my RG-6 cables thinking I had a bad one some where. It's pretty simple setup..From the dish to the side of the WW, out the TV wall jack (The Stock splitter is bypassed) then to the sat receiver. The TV out goes to a simple 2way splitter and one goes to the living room TV and the other goes back to the Wall outlet and on to the Bedroom. Works great with my old TV's is as crystal clear as the home TV's. The minute I put the new LCD on Inverter power its power supply starts humming and I have static on both TV's....Unplug the LCD and the bedroom TV is perfect again. I'm thinking the Samsung just is one of those kind of Power Supplies not Happy on Inverter Power. I'm headed to Sams Club tomorrow.

06 LE 3505
Old 10-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
Understand that Sean old buddy. This is one of those things that should just work. I have checked and changed out all my RG-6 cables thinking I had a bad one some where. It's pretty simple setup..From the dish to the side of the WW, out the TV wall jack (The Stock splitter is bypassed) then to the sat receiver. The TV out goes to a simple 2way splitter and one goes to the living room TV and the other goes back to the Wall outlet and on to the Bedroom. Works great with my old TV's is as crystal clear as the home TV's. The minute I put the new LCD on Inverter power its power supply starts humming and I have static on both TV's....Unplug the LCD and the bedroom TV is perfect again. I'm thinking the Samsung just is one of those kind of Power Supplies not Happy on Inverter Power. I'm headed to Sams Club tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ooo...just thought of a little tiny point here...did you use a satellite splitter (they are different than a standard RG-56 splitter) to 2-way off your receiver?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #10

Yes I'm not that dum Sean Gez

06 LE 3505
Old 10-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
Yes I'm not that dum Sean Gez </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geesh...SOME people get a little TESTY when their newfound LCD TV don't work right...
Old 10-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #12

It's a done deal. Went to sams and bought another 26" Sharp with a DVD player. Works like a camp. Don't know what the deal was with the Samsung, We got a great deal on it through Amazon, no tax or shiping and it had 4000-1 contrast ratio and every input you could want.....But did not work with the invertor. The Sharp isn't as sharp (no pun intended)but no hum and no Squigly lines. Finally one project I was really getting tired of.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 10-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #13

SEE! I toll you, I toll you, I toll you no more...

Well good...and I do know how those projects that never want to end go...kudos to you for finishing YOURS!

Just one question: just how does a camp work? (Griz strikes again! )
Old 10-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Wonder if it had anything to do with the inverter? I've read that some stuff doesn't like a modified sine wave inverter where a true sine wave works fine. Don't know what type yours is Griz but just a thought anyway. And I don't have a clue if this is true or not, just some stuff I've read. All I know is my cheap inverter runs everything I need. Primarily ice maker, right Sean. (clink)

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote