Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:01 AM   #15

K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) Undue all wires and get rid of the wineguard amp. Buy a new wall plate with two jacks. Hook the outside jack to one and the one leading to the bedroom to the other. Hook the sat box sat to the outside jack port. Hook the TV out to a 2way splitter with one side to the Living room TV and the other side to the wall jack that leads to the bedroom. Now you can control the box with the remote from the bedroom or the living room. Obviously you can only watch the same thing from either place but hey... If I and the wife ever feel the need to watch two different shows in separate rooms than we should have just stayed home!

Sean, Maybe some day on the hi-tech dish but for right now standing on the ladder with a $15.00 sat finder takes all of 5 min and works for me. Only one who really watchs is the wife while the rest of us yahoos are riding or getting realy drunk

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Griz the Cable Guy! Git'er done!

Whats all this tv stuff about in a boondocking TH for anyway? What has happened to beverages around a night campfire?

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:32 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoverbug:
All this has me confused and wondering so I called Winegard a moment ago and was told that with the antenna off at the wall plate, the dish coax can be connected to the outside connector. On the inside connect the coax to the satellite box. I asked if any additional wiring were necessary and was told no. I dumped Directtv in favor of cable a few years ago, so I can't try it. Again,the Winegard tech said the wall plate is ready for satellite. Wassup???

This is the link to the Winegard RS-2000 that is on the LE's.

http://www.winegard.com/mobile/roadstar.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmm......I find it interesting that Winegard would say that. I've tried to hook up the sat. through the amp. It didn't matter if the amp was off or on, no sat signal could get through. The only way I could get a sat signal was to bypass the amp. Winegard even shows how to do it on their website.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Like I said Wes, I'confused. I asked her about the instructions you posted,as I had looked at them also. All I can say is..Go Figure! Seems to me the easiest way would be to add an additional outside and inside connector as in your post. That would put it to rest. Doncha think?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hmmmmm......I find it interesting that Winegard would say that. I've tried to hook up the sat. through the amp. It didn't matter if the amp was off or on, no sat signal could get through. The only way I could get a sat signal was to bypass the amp. Winegard even shows how to do it on their website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats correct Wes. I had the same deal and had to add another wall plate for the satellite, Put a diplexer in the line coming from outside, then ran one output from the diplexer to the reg outlet and the other to the new plate for the satellite. That way I can use either/or antenna/satellite, or cable.

Kind of ****** me off that it was marked as DSS Satellite ready. Yeah right! once you rewire it.

On edit: found that old post. FYI

Well, to finish my earlier post on the installation of the dish. I was able to remove the center coax from the amp, attach it to the input of the diplexer, run a jumper back to the center input of the amp, run another jumper from the sat side of the diplexer to a new wall plate for the satellite and it all works. This way the original setup for the ant amp/cable still works but you have the additional wall plate with the coax hookup for satellite. Piece of cake! NOW, its DSS Satellite ready!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #20

Tom With it hooked that way can you watch the sat in the bedroom also?

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 09-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tom With it hooked that way can you watch the sat in the bedroom also? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope, thats just for the downstairs TV. It will take some more engineering for that. I know that others have talked about how to do it so you can watch the same station in both rooms. Heck, just get two receivers and a dual dish and watch different programs in each room.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #22

Don't most of the satellite receivers have an antenna input? Can't you just run the antenna to the sat receiver and then output to both the front and rear TV's?

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:02 PM   #23

I'm thinking something like this:

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! Gotta say this is what makes this the best forum on the site. Good and detailed info on a subject till it's nailed down.

Personally, after watching my Gene,Roy,Hoppy & Red Ryder videos me thinks I'll retire to the campfire with a cold beverage. Happy Traills!!
Old 09-12-2005, 05:08 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
basic rule of thumb on the mini dishes, the lead
from the dish TO the receiver carries dc voltage so you cant split it. the output on the receiver is RF so you can split that. Diplexers prevent the DC voltage from passing to the antenna/cable which would load the dss receiver and the voltage would drop. hope this helps! one more mod to consider.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #26

I finished hooking up my sat. system today. I took out the original winegard plate and put together my own.

I used a winegard VS-0604/6412 video distribution switch so I can watch DVD, DSS, or off the antenna on either tv. Now the kids can watch a DVD and I can watch the sat. on the other set.

Wes
Old 09-13-2005, 08:51 PM   #27

Looks Awesome Wes. What is the 12V connector poseing as a tv jack for?

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 09-13-2005, 09:01 PM   #28

Don,

The video distribution switch has an antenna amp. built in. The switch needs 12 volts to run a DVD modulator also.

Wes