Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2005, 04:15 PM   #1

Alright All the major mods are done and it's just about riding season. Last thing I have to do is stop dragging my sat cable through the window. So who is the WW sat wizard? I want to plug into the side fitting with my ladder mount dish and to be able to watch from the bedroom and the living room. (I know the same show because of only one DTV box. So how is this thing wired? I will never use that antenna that is up there. I've been told there is an amplifier some ware that I have to unhook, does anybody no where it's located? Any advice from those who have figured this out would be appreciated

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2005, 04:15 PM   #2

Alright All the major mods are done and it's just about riding season. Last thing I have to do is stop dragging my sat cable through the window. So who is the WW sat wizard? I want to plug into the side fitting with my ladder mount dish and to be able to watch from the bedroom and the living room. (I know the same show because of only one DTV box. So how is this thing wired? I will never use that antenna that is up there. I've been told there is an amplifier some ware that I have to unhook, does anybody no where it's located? Any advice from those who have figured this out would be appreciated

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 09-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #3

Griz,

I'm in the process of hooking up my Directv and DVD. The amplifier is on the cable outlet behind the TV.

HERE is a link that will help rewire the amplifier for satellite use.

I ordered one of these to allow switching between sat, DVD and antenna and allows viewing from a different source on either TV.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Guys,my Winegard wall plate says 'sattelite ready'. Does'nt that mean if the antenna is off a dish can be connected to the outside connector, and then connect to the sat box from the inside connection?
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #5

Griz,

HERE are some pics of one persons cable/satellite mod.

Wes
Old 09-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoverbug:
Guys,my Winegard wall plate says 'sattelite ready'. Does'nt that mean if the antenna is off a dish can be connected to the outside connector, and then connect to the sat box from the inside connection? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HB,

You have to rewire the cable box for sat. I think satellite ready just means they use RG-6 cable.

Wes
Old 09-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Posted September 11, 2005 09:14 PM
Guys,my Winegard wall plate says 'satellite ready'. Doesn't that mean if the antenna is off a dish can be connected to the outside connector, and then connect to the sat box from the inside connection? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, thats the pat answer Hoverbug. See the instructions. You have to rewire the connection in the wall and put another plate/connection in to do the Satellite.
Vette Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #8

Wes Thanks a bunch. I did not know there was so much involved. Now that I now where all the feeds end up it should be easy. Thanks again

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 09-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Shows how much I know about this stuff. Now, thanks to you folks I know a lot more. Thanks! Still probably won't do much tv watching while camping though.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I posted a whole set of instructions on how to do this a ways back and went back through the pages to try and find it but I guess it was to old. Page 22 was not old enough!

So much for archiving.
Vette Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #11

Hi! This is what I did. Just use High deserts link's to identify the 3 coax wires. Buy 2 barrel connecters drill and mount them on your plate ( 90 degree ones would work even better). Take the cable for the room and side and plug them in to those barrel connectors you just installed. Hook up your box for signal and the other to TV out. You will need a IR remote to change the channels from the bedroom. Somebody else might have a better way. Have fun.
lq9hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #12

Griz:

Everyone's got a whole bunch o good info here, but I have to suggest that you get a Kingdome Sat Dish and the LE's OWN receiver (c'mon- it's $5/month!). I first fiddled with the tripod dish, then upgraded to the Winegard roof mountewd unit, and I can tell you without a doubt that the Kingdome unit is the best thing I've ever done on a RV.

First...there's no disconnecting anything, which is extremely palletable for me because I DON'T NEED ANYTHING ELSE TO DO TO GET INTO OR OUT OF CAMP MODE. Second, the unit (compared to the crank up Winegard model) doesn't require any cranking or remembering to do so. Third, I got the lower version where you have to push some buttons for it to find the satellite, but you don't need a compass, and you don't need to have any leveling device- it is digitally leveling, and it will even rotate on its own to find the azimuth. PLUS...it has two default settings, the first of which I use when the SLC returns to it's bed, that it will automatically tune itself to the proper setting.

Now...I think you've also got the TV cabinet in the bedroom, and if you want SAT TV in it, all you have to do is remove the coax outlet behind the cargo TV, and change out some wires so you can use it to INPUT your SAT signal so it goes to the bedroom.

You're so darn close, that if you think you want to do this, I'll come out and help you with it...I got my Kingdome @ Giant for $669, and can even pick it up on my out...all you gotta commit to is a 3/8" hole in your roof!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:14 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All this has me confused and wondering so I called Winegard a moment ago and was told that with the antenna off at the wall plate, the dish coax can be connected to the outside connector. On the inside connect the coax to the satellite box. I asked if any additional wiring were necessary and was told no. I dumped Directtv in favor of cable a few years ago, so I can't try it. Again,the Winegard tech said the wall plate is ready for satellite. Wassup???

This is the link to the Winegard RS-2000 that is on the LE's.

http://www.winegard.com/mobile/roadstar.htm
Old 09-12-2005, 05:56 AM   #14

Sean,
We are totally on the same page. I just got my KingDome 9630R (basic model) off of eBay for $495. It was from Kingdome2, the only authorized dealer for refurbished KingDomes. They were refered to me by the mfg when I contacted them. I also picked up a Dish 111 receiver (the smallest one) off of eBay for $35. It's easier than moving stuff around all the time.

Now I just need to install it.....

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote