Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 AM   #1

I purchased a Winnguard freestanding satelite dish and a signal strength meter. At first I could not get any signal to the receiver until I did a search on this forum and found out I had to make a wiring mod at the recepticle behind my TV. Once I made that mod I had no problem finding Satelite 110 transponder 08. This is the same satelite and transp. I get on my home unit but at my hunting lease, I am not getting the same programming. I called Dish tech. support but they were no help. Tech. support said I need to turn the dish a little to the left to pick up satelite 119 transp. 21 or 20. I turn the dish to the left and get a strong signal on the pointing meter but no lock-in on the receiver. I turn the dish a little further to the left and get a Bell satelite signal.
Question is, what small trick am I missing here that keeps me from getting the same programming on the road that I get a home? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The sole reason I bought the dish is so we could get Mavs and Cowboy games on FOXSW.

TB

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 AM   #2

I purchased a Winnguard freestanding satelite dish and a signal strength meter. At first I could not get any signal to the receiver until I did a search on this forum and found out I had to make a wiring mod at the recepticle behind my TV. Once I made that mod I had no problem finding Satelite 110 transponder 08. This is the same satelite and transp. I get on my home unit but at my hunting lease, I am not getting the same programming. I called Dish tech. support but they were no help. Tech. support said I need to turn the dish a little to the left to pick up satelite 119 transp. 21 or 20. I turn the dish to the left and get a strong signal on the pointing meter but no lock-in on the receiver. I turn the dish a little further to the left and get a Bell satelite signal.
Question is, what small trick am I missing here that keeps me from getting the same programming on the road that I get a home? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The sole reason I bought the dish is so we could get Mavs and Cowboy games on FOXSW.

TB

WW FS2300
Old 12-05-2005, 05:44 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Well TB, You are into a can or worms when you first start trying to find the bird. Get back to the 110 and then go to the left till the next stroung sig, go in and turn off the dish reciever with the remote, then remove the power plug from the wall and wait 60 seconds, plug back in hit the menu button, 6=1=1 and do the switch test then go back to the picture and 95% of the time you will have 119 with a pix. Good luck on the hunt

See yall in the funnies, Warren
PS: The dish guy should have told you this to start with, maybe you caught him too early in the day. Some of those guys are in a 12 hour different time zone.
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:20 AM   #4

WAGM when you say "go to the left" should I be facing the dish or behind the dish? In essence do I turn it to the West or the East?

TB

WW FS2300
Old 12-05-2005, 08:29 AM   #5

Twinbubba,

Lady Di and I are real close to cancelling our
cable TV and going to satelite Dish Network.
What has held me up is seeing guys spend hours
trying to dial in the dish..... instead of riding

I don't have much patience when it come to electronics and tech stuff......
but now King Salami has ordered one of them push button, automatic
dishes that finds the correct location without any problems.

I'm letting the King do all the R and D, and then I think we'll do the same
as him, Sean and Diirk.

I hope you get your channels and your hunt is successful!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 AM   #6

Dang...have to break one of my rules and jump in here real quick!

Don't go with Dish! My friend has that service instead of DirecTV, and the multiple satellite issue will drive you to drink, and Howie- you don't need anything else to help you drink man! I helped him put his system in his TH, and it took hours- just like Bubba's predicament- to get it right. Then, in the typical MO for an RV, you move, and the fun starts all over again!

Howie: I hope Nick and Di are looking at the Domed systems- our WW's are so high, you wouldn't want one of those Winegard crankup dishes either- just a couple of tree branches and you'll rip the darn thing right off the roof- not to mention the stepladder you'd need to set it. Even though we got one of the 'manual' dome systems, it does a good job of doing most of the work itself.

Sorry for the DN bashing- the only time I've seen it's really beneficial to go with DN is when you want a HD TIVO- DirecTV still wants $1000 for theirs when DN is only $300...

Sean
Old 12-05-2005, 09:29 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

Don't go with Dish! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Sean, Howie is using the words "dish network" generically. He doesn't know his Dish from his Direct yet. Nick and I have DirecTV and we are awaiting delivery of our King-dome today by FedEx. Nick will do the install. </span>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

Howie: I hope Nick and Di are looking at the Domed systems .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<span class="ev_code_BLUE"> Um, Sean, you better stop smokin' that stuff so early in the mornin'. It's Howie and Diana .... Nick and Marianne ... and it's been that way for a lotta years now. </span>
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey TB, Turn it to the West, left from behind. I have my meter velcroed to the top of the LNB and stick it on faceing to the rear (oh no your LNB is probably sticking up from the bottom ). My dish is mounted upsidedown SEE You do not need to look at 119 and 110 at the same time ( 110 is for pay per view ), I never look at 110 after I find 119. When you turn it to the left, only go 1 degree at a time.

See yall in the funnies, Warren
Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #9

We used to have the DishNetwork system...had those same problems if I didn't get it exact. We switched to Directv now and I'm not having any of those problems. An 1/8" of a turn makes it or breaks it...lol I have all my programming and after a little practice, I've got it down to a science, (I still have my handy compass though just in case) We switched because Dish wouldn't offer any of the new stuff to their existing customers so I left and scored on a great deal from Direct. (Tivo, # of receivers, etc) I have one receiver that stays in the trailer and I have an older dish that I found from a neighbor who was throwing it out. I really want one of these:

TracVision

but I don't have a $1000 laying around soooo, we went with this:

http://www.polesandholders.com/image...a/rmdsmall.jpg

and with a little modification (because the height of our roof) it looks like this...

CloseUp

from a distance
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #10

WAGM thanks for the reply, but I am still confused on your directions. If I am behind the dish and both it and I are basically facing South, a turn to the left is not West, that is East isn't it?

TB

WW FS2300
Old 12-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
TB. I am truly sorry, just do it like I do it and not like I tell you to. I suppose that left came about from the fact that I am pointed to the north as I sit at the puter, or that people on the forums call California the left coast, who knows where left came from. Also ifn you point my dish from the front, you will never get enough signal thru me to get a green bar. Did you click on SEE and get a look at my dish mount that I throw on the ground? Sometimes I get a 50 and above signal from just setting it down, (been to some campsites waaaay too many times).

See yall in the funnies,Warren
Old 12-05-2005, 12:05 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
<span class="ev_code_RED">TOM</span>, where are you when I need some help, these WW guys are trying to get me to change to DTV

Help, Warren
Old 12-05-2005, 12:23 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... or that people on the forums call California the left coast, .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yea but Warren, you just convinced me to quit voting Republican and start voting like you say everyone else here is
(I'm joking guys , every politician here in SanDiego is in jail anyway)
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SandyFeet:

Don't go with Dish! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Sean, Howie is using the words "dish network" generically. He doesn't know his Dish from his Direct yet. Nick and I have DirecTV and we are awaiting delivery of our King-dome today by FedEx. Nick will do the install. </span>

Howie: I hope Nick and Di are looking at the Domed systems .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<span class="ev_code_BLUE"> Um, Sean, you better stop smokin' that stuff so early in the mornin'. It's Howie and Diana .... Nick and Marianne ... and it's been that way for a lotta years now. </span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marianne! I know by now Who's Who in the SC Crowd Department! I read Howie's post that he was letting Dianne take care of it for him (now that I re-read the post, I cudda sworn he said something about Lady Di making the decision! Howie? Did you change your post buddy and not tell me? ). and I kinda knew you were letting Nicky take care of your side!

Whew...thought for a minute you kids were thinking Dish Network- glad to hear Howie was just spoutin' off in generalities...

And Warren: sure...get another Chevy guy in on this debacle!

Sean