Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Does Anyone Have The Michelin XPS Traction On Their Trailer?

I bought a new to me 5th wheel TH a year ago and it came with 235/85R16 Michelin XPS Rib tires on it. I like these tires and from the 19,000 posts I've read these seem to be the best tire out there if you're wanting an E rated. However these sidewalls have cracked and it's time to replace them.

I was going to go with the XPS again but after getting online I noticed these are not recommended for winter driving, near freezing temps, or in ice and snow. Well that's 99% of the time I'm using it (skiing and snowmobiling). I've called Michelin but haven't heard back yet on why they are not recommended for winter.

They also make an XPS Traction tire that has a steel casing. Has anyone used this tires before? Thanks for any advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyluk View Post
I bought a new to me 5th wheel TH a year ago and it came with 235/85R16 Michelin XPS Rib tires on it. I like these tires and from the 19,000 posts I've read these seem to be the best tire out there if you're wanting an E rated. However these sidewalls have cracked and it's time to replace them.

I was going to go with the XPS again but after getting online I noticed these are not recommended for winter driving, near freezing temps, or in ice and snow. Well that's 99% of the time I'm using it (skiing and snowmobiling). I've called Michelin but haven't heard back yet on why they are not recommended for winter.

They also make an XPS Traction tire that has a steel casing. Has anyone used this tires before? Thanks for any advice.
Michellin XPS tires are commercial LT's made primarily for light trucks. The Ribs are perfect for use on a trailer, but are not recommended for winter on a truck. Just curious why you would want to put traction tires on a trailer?

I installed Ribs on my toy hauler the day I took it home, in lieu of the China bombs that it came with. I ran them for 18K mi, and they still looked almost new when I sold it in DEC. I rarely ever had to put air in them, even if it sat for a couple months. They are excellent tires for your trailer.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

The reason I am looking at a different tire is this statement "Highway Rib Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice." From what I see the other choice with a steel casing that's meant for winter is the traction tire.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #4

Only my opinion but...

Rib tires have great cornering traction on dry or wet pavement and good forward traction for straight-line braking or acceleration. Where they lose out is in forward traction on pavements with snow or ice because they will have a tendancy to ride up on the snow. Tires that are good on ice have tread blocks that are siped to allow the tire to conform to the surface more easily.

On your trailer, you don't really care about traction. Under acceleration, but you do care about it for braking and, of course, Cornering traction.

I would not consider running ribs in the winter time for those reasons...
Old 02-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
So you guys really put snow tires on your 5th wheels? I'm going on an anual snowmobiling trip to N. CA next week (flying). I'm going to check out their rigs. I've never paid attention to their tires in the past.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
So you guys really put snow tires on your 5th wheels? I'm going on an anual snowmobiling trip to N. CA next week (flying). I'm going to check out their rigs. I've never paid attention to their tires in the past.
LOL...
Well snow tires per se, are a thing of the past. All season tires are typically pretty good in the winter for trailers. I have seen people run AT tires on smaller trailers (under 10k)..
Of course you could run ribs but you'd have diminished braking performance more than anything else.
Just use your head on the snow and ice and you'll be fine..
Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #7

Thanks Big-Foot. So would you actually recommend the XPS Traction tire for the usage of my trailer?

I got a call back from Michelin yesterday and talked with a lady who supposedly dealt with these LT tires (when you call the number the people you talk with only deal with car tires and they pass your info along to someone who has expertise in the tire you are asking about). She read the description to me that is online and the same one I've read multiple times. She had absolutely no clue what she was talking about and I was more than disappointed in her abilities so I've been trying to figure it out and would love to talk with someone who actually knows something. She recommended the traction tire but I wouldn't trust her opinion as she couldn't understand what I was using them on or for.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #8

You know if most of your towing is in the cold / snow / ice, I could not recommend a rib tire. The only problem I can see with running the traction tire is that they will have a tendancy to run warmer because of the action of the tread blocks. This is actually a good problem to have when towing in the ice and snow.