Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 AM   #15

Thanks Sean. They are the tap in kind, I will see if I can stock up on some. I didn't know if I could just put new ones in, thought maybe it was all one assembly. That would be much better than having to take the suspension apart.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #16

I greased my trailer suspension the other day. The genius that put the lift on the WW last year hammered on two of the zerks and now they won't take grease.

I tried every place in town to find replacements. Is WW or Zieman the only place to get these press in zerks?

Wes

high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #17

Wes:

I have the same problem- there's a few of them that won't take any grease- what I suspect is the problem is that when they painted the axles, the paint kinda gummed up the little ball check valve, or they just got a little rusted into place. Try tapping the end a little bit. If it still doesn't work, any auto parts store should have the press-in zerks available- there are a few different sizes, so be careful on which ones you get. If you still have problems, let me know- our company has them available in stock. As for mine- I've got to get my SLC back to the factory service center in the next couple of weeks, so I'm gonna let them take care of it!

Good luck!

Sean
Old 05-25-2006, 03:57 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I've got a few the same way. I bought a pneumatic grease gun, we'll see what it does with 120 lbs pressure, I'll let you know.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #19

Hey Tom!

I did also! A couple of weeks ago found some pneumatic guns on the clearance shelf at Wally World for $5 each...bought two of them, so I'm gonna try it out also! Just cain't seem to remember to buy the grease...
Old 05-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #20

I thought we had the screw in type zerks? Mine have a place for a wrench on the end.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lincster:
I thought we had the screw in type zerks? Mine have a place for a wrench on the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought, but when I tried to unscrew one of my damaged zerks, it just spun and wouldn't come out. I easily pulled them out with pliers. They're definitely press in.

Sean: I used a dental pic to loosen the check ball on a few zerks. I have to replace two zerks, they're trashed. I've tried NAPA, trailer repair shops and a drive line rebuilding shop. So far no one has this style zerk.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 AM   #22

I lost a wheel on my car hauler due to bearing failure. Lucky I noticed it smoking before the wheel came off...pulled into parking lot to check it out and found the wheel almost completely off the spindle. While I was backing the trailer into a corner to get it out fo the way the wheel finally fell off. Lucky the suspension was holding the axle up off the ground. I wasn't to far from home so I just drove it like that. Neighbor had the parts and two hours later I was back on the road.

I am not sure wy the bearing failed there was plenty of grease in there.....needless to say I am checking the bearings more often and carring spares in the tool box.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #23

Offcamber:

First of all, welcome to iRV2!! Nice to see ya here!

You know...one of the things I've heard in the past that's a good idea is attaching short pieces of heavy link chain to the frame so when you have a flat or a blow out, you can tie up the offended axle to get to your closest destination for repair- has anyone ever used this method of getting out of a pinch?

Sean
Old 06-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Offcamber:

First of all, welcome to iRV2!! Nice to see ya here!

You know...one of the things I've heard in the past that's a good idea is attaching short pieces of heavy link chain to the frame so when you have a flat or a blow out, you can tie up the offended axle to get to your closest destination for repair- has anyone ever used this method of getting out of a pinch?

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep my neighbor said the same thing....haven't tried it yet.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #25

Maintenance, Maintenance,Maintenance, there cant be enough said about it. The little bit of time you spend checking things out is a heck of alot better than the hours you could spend on the side of the road and the extra$$$.
I know many people dont have the time or the know how, but I would suggest learning. just incase you do have a road side failure you can make a repair or know how to disassemble and reassemble everything.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #26

Thanks to you Sean, I just lubed the shackles on the toyhauler. (9) of the (24) zerks will not accept grease.
The zerks are not rusted and zerk ball bearings are all working. Grease gets inside the zerks but no matter
how much pressure is applied to the gun..... the shackle will not accept grease.

The zerks are pressed into the shackle bolts, so has anyone replaced their non functional WW zerks?

I think we have a 2 year warrenty for our rig?

Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #27

Yikes Howie! This is a family site...whattaya showin' your underbelly for?!?!?!? Wow...you need to get some paint out and cover up some of that "enjoyment" you've had for the past 52 weekends.

I just read earlier that maybe there's an issue with the bolts being turned right in the their position- if so, that's total BS...no matter where they lie, there should be plenty of slop to get grease through. I've had the same problem, and am going to get some new zerks from our inventory before we leave on Thursday for Kennedy Meadows...but in the meantime, I picked up an air-actuated grease gun and will try to see if I can force some in there...I really think the ball in the zerk is either paint-coated, or it's rusted- did you try one and *dink* it to see it would free up? I'm going to be under the coach either tomorrow night or Weds AM and I'm going to see what I can find- I also need to adjusticate the brake shoes to make sure I've got enough brakes to go DOWN from Kennedy Meadows!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:34 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Howie

You might try jacking the wheel up some to see if that will help. When mine was sitting in the garage I had a couple that wouldn't take grease but down at the tire store with it jacked up the kid with the grease gun didn't have a problem. Maybe it was the "kid" part, huh.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote