Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #29

Boy oh boy...you guys are just ripe for a good 'ol wives tale here...

Considering that even a hand grease gun has 10,000psi behind it, I'd bet if you just *dink* the little ball in the zerk you'd get some grease action going on. Of course, I have yet to try that, but being in the "biz" that usually is the problem. Just look at Howie's pic (well, actually the one he posted "elsewhere", but not here)...it looks like someone barfed all over it (but I gotta admit, he's got one heck of a camera to take a shot like that!).

Here's the proof: if most of the zerks are the press-in kind that most of the WW peeps have, if you put 10,000psi to them, and the zerk didn't pop out in the process, then I'd say the limiter is in the zerk's input. I'd bet that given the sf of the zerk, it'd take a whole bunch to even pop it out IF the blockage was beyond the checkvalve. And when you further realize that the rust factor and gook factor that can overtake that little tiny ball, you'd figure out IT was the culprit. So clean it up- take a little drawl and see if you can punch it a bit to free it up, then try again...

I might be all washed up, but that's my thinkin'...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2006, 04:04 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
56 Nomad Thanks for the nice photo. I got under my rig last night, and no zerks on the shackle bolts. Something worth investigating.

97 Dodge 3500 Diesel 2nd owner
Mike-n-Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:47 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well
i see this post re-apearing almost daily to the top and kept thinking, "good thing i inspect my fiver often"
then this past weekend we were loading the cargo trailer 7x 14 tandem axle,
i kpet noticing more noise than normal when i was backing her up into spot.
and my brakes felt like they needed adjusting, "how could this be we only have 1200 or so miles on her " so i jack up one sdie and lift the tires up off the ground and let the springs hang, then i noticed my rear shackly bolt is about to pop out of the mount, the nut had backed off to within a few threads and was sort of dangling there tempting me to fall off.
I felt a cold chill run down my spine.
as i looked around i saw my rear brake master wire had been ........ chewed and was hanging out shooting electrons at the ground vice through my brakes.
so thanks guys for this contiual saga of maintenance, its helped to keep teh idea in front of my mind
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:11 AM   #32

We just got our trailer back from having the NYS inspection done along with the repacking the bearings etc. WOW, we need to learn to do it ourselves. Talk about expensive!

One thing they did was replace our break away cable. For some reason, it didn't pass "their" inspection this year-it's been the same way for 5 years that they've done it. We weren't happy with it. They did it so tight that when you tried to put your finger under the cable, you couldn't do it while it was laying on the hitch, it was SO tight. It had no little inch to give and if we took too tight of a turn, it would have gone off. The hubby is redoing it with our own cable tonight. Question for anyone here, how do you connect and disconnect that breakaway cable? Is it right from the pin each time?

At least the trailer is all ready to go next week now from NY-Orlando-to Myrtle Beach! 7 days and I can't wait!

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 AM   #33

My 2002 HitchHiker has the Dexter Nev-r-Lube bearings. Anyone else have experience with these? They are supposed to be good for 100K miles. I just had new Mich's installed and the bearings still look good.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Our 2004 DoubleTree Mobile Suites has the Nev-R-Lube bearings as well. I've never lubed them, and they've given no problems!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #35

Interesting....... I opened the Owner's Manual for the AL-KO axles and suspension that we have on the WW. It says that the Spring Eye Bolt, Shackle Bolt, and Equalizer Bolt - Tighten to snug fit only.

The zerks that I was unable to grease finally took grease after I rotated the Shackle and Equalizer Bolts. The Spring Eye Bolt must be splined shoulder bolt pressed into the spring hanger and therefore I could not get it to move. ??????

I've had this rig for over one year..........the suspension parts had never been lubricated. Ouch!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
56Nomad
Another good photo. I stopped by a local business and viewed parts to refit my Dexter suspension system. Those bolts, with the grease fittings, (zerks), do have the knurled shoulder. I learned the design is to keep the bolt affixed to the shackle and force the suspension to ride on the bolt and bushing. I also noticed both plastic and metal bushing replacements were available. A retro kit is available, for me. $$$.$$

Old 07-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #37

By the way, this is the head of the bolts used on the Weekend Warriors..... (Al-KO Kober Corporation)

These zerks are all located facing inside the undercarriage. (all 24 of them)
Old 07-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Racorman - ANOTHER GREAT SHOT - What's the make and model of that camera?

I'm looking at a Dester heavy duty suspension kit: Dexter suspension kit

Looks like some left over grease might protect the zerks. you caught yours just in time.

Take care

Old 07-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #39

Mike,

I'm using a Canon Power Shot with the MF setting.

Here is the photo of that same bolt but new.