Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Double axle vs Triple axle???

Brand new to Toy Hauling, moving from a class A. Can anyone offer insight into the differences between a double axle and a triple axle? The length that we are looking at is between 35-42 feet. Is maneuverability a factor? we have heard about wear and tear on the back tire, is maintenance/expense a major factor?

drkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
I've just traded my second tri axle toy hauler for a class (A). of the two, one was a straight pull, the last was a fifth wheel. You will not be disappointed with a tri axle. The extra weight carrying capacity you will find necessary when you load it up with all you can fit in it. Yes you will scrub the front and rear tires in a tight turn. I've never had or seen anyone have a suspension component failure, but I heard of it happening. Of course, if you are inspecting your systems before and after trips, I'm sure you could stay ahead of any issues. You will tend to make tighter turns with the fifth wheeler just because you can. One thing I have learned to watch for when turning, is trailer tail swing out. This can ruin your day. I look at where the wheels are located on any trailer I buy, looking for wheels located farther to the rear. Be aware this will also affect tongue weight. So you need to consider your towing vehicles capacity. Wheels farther toward the rear will stabilize the trailer more on the road. Just my experience, hope that helps.....

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
I have an 18,000 lb triaxle toyhauler. There are good things and a couple bad things.

I think it rides smoother with the extra axle, but because of the extra length the back end is pretty rough.

I find the turning is noticeably harder. In a straight line the trailer is quite easy to move. In a turn the extra power required is noticeable. The tires do scrub but I upgraded to better tires at the suggestion of the salesperson we bought from. There is some wear on the tires but it is reasonable IMO. The tires will age out before they mile out. They are still looking good and hold air dependably.

I recommend you get a good size truck if you purchase the larger lengths. Our RV is 43' and in a cross wind I am glad I have the 450. The GCVW is 33,000 and it seems to make things really stable in all conditions. Since we bought our rig they have increased the GCVW on all trucks so you might get by with a 350. More is better IMO as I have the 19.5 wheels. The brakes are huge so stopping is no problem.

It is best to get brakes on all three axles. Some cheat a bit and only have brakes on 2 axles but you may want to really stop and that extra set of brakes will help. With the power available nowdays getting going is not an issue.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
My beastie has three axles and is approximately 40ft. It took a few times to get used to backing it into tight spots, but after learning what I was doing, it was not a problem.

I just got back from helping a friend move (get a truck and they come to you first!! ). The drive was almost 1400 miles with a two axle U-haul trailer. I swear that the 40 foot fifth wheel is just as easy to pull and definitely easier to maneuver while backing. I just couldn't get the U-haul trailer to back in a straight line, but have no problem doing that with the 5th wheel. I liked the weight and cargo capacity ratings of the three axles compared to what I saw with the double axle configurations.

I do notice that in tight situations that I "scrub" the tires. I also noticed that I did it more with the double axle though. That was probably due to me putting the smaller double axle trailer into situations that I would never have attempted with the larger 5th wheel though.
2013 Columbus 3600TH
2015 GMC 3500 Denali TV
Toys: Victory Cross Country Tour and Victory Vegas 8-Ball
V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Forest River Owners Club
we have a 41 foot fifth wheel toy hauler, triple axle and we went all out with the Freightliner FL-60, I have heard it said the longer the trailer the easy it is to back up, here's a picture of it on pintrest...Pin by Lyman Beach on trucks and bikes | Pinterest
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto what Gordon said. I put good tires on mine before it's 1st trip. Now after 13K mi, they are showing some nominal wear due to scrubbing. I rotate them forward and to the opposite side every 5K or so. If you are planning to carry a side by side or anything substantial in the garage, you almost have to have 3 axles on a 40'+ TH
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
7 month old Voltage 3600. Chinese tires were swapped out for Michelin XPS Ribs. So far, no tire scrubbing issues. The Voltage line comes with three 7,000 pound axles. My 3600 has a 19,000 GVWR and a minimum of 3,000 pounds on the pin. The 16,000 remaining pounds are carried on 6 tires or 2,666 per tire. I like the margin. My former trailer was a 2 axle and I really can't tell any difference between the two trailers when it comes to handling.

V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote