Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.CARNEY:

When you pull into Dove Springs off HWY 14, where do you camp? If there is any chance I can get there to visit on the 13th I will try to come out for the day.

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Clark,

Hope you can make it. Sandy would be good to
give the directions. Off the top of my head,
you turn off HWY 14 and pass under the high voltage lines.

Go down (quarter mile?)to where you make your
first right hand turn. Travel down until you
reach the cattle guard and we'll be parked
just past there on the right or left side.
You will not miss us.

Sandy, could you refine that a bit?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2005, 10:59 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
'56
what kind of GPS device are you using?
I've looked off and on over the years at the Garmin.
Mike

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:
'56
what kind of GPS device are you using?
I've looked off and on over the years at the Garmin.
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mike,

After Sandy did most of the homework checking out which
GPS would give us the most bang for the buck, we ordered
Magellan Meridian Platinum models. They work very well but
there are some downsides for me.

I like color screens...... these are black and white. Also,
I'm a Macintosh guy and there are no programs for me
to load the maps into this GPS. Anytime I need to enter
a particular map area into my GPS, I go over to Sandy's
house because she has the fastest PC in Santa Cruz.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also,
I'm a Macintosh guy and there are no programs for me to load the maps into this GPS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm also a Mac guy and have been frustrated by the lack of GPS support.

I haven't tried THIS SOFTWARE yet, but it looks like it might do the trick.
I'm going to try it tonight and see how it works.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've looked off and on over the years at the Garmin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, I went back and forth between Garmin and Magellen. Both brands are equal in my mind. I finally chose the Magellen because it had a little bit larger screen and the keypad was easier to manipulate. Now, this was about two years ago. Things might have changed since then. I've been very happy with my Magellen.

Sandy Feet
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #20

Sandy:

According to my 56's coordinates and my Streets & Trips, the CG is 32.2 miles north on 14 of the Hwy 14/58 intersection- does that sound right?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #21

Sean,

That sounds about right. After you go thru Mojave, which is the 14/58 junction, head north on HWY 14. You will pass Jawbone Canyon Store which you can't miss as it sits right on HWY 14. A few miles past the store you will come across Red Rock Canyon. This you can't miss also as there is a sign there marking it. Keep going north another 5-10 miles and you will come to Dove Springs. It too is marked by a sign and it has a left turn lane that will put you right at the entrance. It is a dirt fire road, as if I got 56's directions right, go straight up the road under the power lines. Just past the power lines is a nother fire road that crosses it. Turn right on that road, it runs parallel to the power lines, and take it to a cattle crossing. They we be just past it off the road. Does that sound about right Sandy? It's been a couple years since I've been there, but I have ridden there quite a number of times. The fire roads run for miles there, you can take them all the way back to Jawbone Canyon if you want. It's a fun place to ride.

Mike, I have the Delorme Street Atlas with an Earthmate GPS that works on my laptop. I have an entire USA map, very detailed, that my GPS gives me exact location, speed, elevation, etc... it costs a little over $100.00 but I can use the map without the GPS and can pinpoint coordinates. It also contains locations, addresses, phone numbers, of places to eat, shop, get fuel, hotels, some campgrounds, and much more.

I have an inverter in the truck that powers the laptop, place the laptop on a little platform I have in the truck, and I have a GPS, and or game station, and or DVD player in the truck that the wife and kids can use while we are on the road.

I wish I had these things when I was a kid traveling with my parents.

Oh the modern luxuries!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #22

Clark:

Thanks much...this is good 'nuff to print when I get home and use as MY GPS!

Looking at my Streets & Trips, that location is only about 26 miles (as the crow flies) from one of our favorite sites out at Cuddeback (off 395 to the east). It's been a while because we found Rainbow Canyon (north of Barstow off of Copper City Road/Fort Irwin Road), and you can spend days exploring all that's out there- truly a treat.

Gosh...I hope you make it! It'll be a hoot (that's my plan and I'm stickin to it)!

Sean
Old 05-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That sounds about right. After you go thru Mojave, which is the 14/58 junction, head north on HWY 14. You will pass Jawbone Canyon Store which you can't miss as it sits right on HWY 14. A few miles past the store you will come across Red Rock Canyon. This you can't miss also as there is a sign there marking it. Keep going north another 5-10 miles and you will come to Dove Springs. It too is marked by a sign and it has a left turn lane that will put you right at the entrance. It is a dirt fire road, as if I got 56's directions right, go straight up the road under the power lines. Just past the power lines is a nother fire road that crosses it. Turn right on that road, it runs parallel to the power lines, and take it to a cattle crossing. They we be just past it off the road. Does that sound about right Sandy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! Once you have made that right turn, the cattle crossing is only about 200 yards ahead. You'll drive over the cattle cross and continue on and we will be just a little ways further. Hopefully, we'll be able to snag a large spot.

56Nomad and I have decided that we'll put out markers at the fire road intersection that say "Sandy Nomad" (pretty clever, eh?) to guide everyone in. He will be arriving there earlier than the rest of us and will call and let me know where he sets down. So we'll have coordinates as well.

If anyone wants to e-mail me (plastina@hotmail.com), I'd be happy to trade cell phone numbers in an attempt to keep in touch. Service is usually spotty but in many areas of Dove Springs you can get a strong signal.

Sandy Feet
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #24

Man,

I just re-read my last post, I can't believe all the miss spellings. Sorry folks, you would think I'm an idgit!!!

Clark

Old 05-05-2005, 06:16 AM   #25

Clark and Sandy
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.. Mike, I have the Delorme Street Atlas with an Earthmate GPS that works on my laptop. I have an entire USA map, very detailed, that my GPS gives me exact location, speed, elevation, etc... it costs a little over $100.00 but I can use the map without the GPS and can pinpoint coordinates. It also contains locations, addresses, phone numbers, of places to eat, shop, get fuel, hotels, some campgrounds, and much more.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
basically i am having a "technology needs as vs. playtoy desire" with this whole situation. The laptop is an obviously robust platform, the maps that are available to it are nicely done, and the strong GPS capability is handy while driving.
On the gadget dude side, i have looked longingly over the years at what SandyFeet has talked about - the Garmin and Magellen. These little guys you can carry while out on the bikes and i looked at them a lot a couple years ago, but i think it was because of too many great choices between the two of them i became indecisive and got nothing. They have walkie-talkie type Garmin (or Magellen) that two people can key into each other if one of them gets lost (Cordie ) and GPS themselves back together.

So its the age old dilemna, real solid use, or fun little gadget.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:48 PM   #26

When is everyone heading to Dove Springs? I am going to do my very best in coming out Friday for the day to meet all you great folks, I have to be in Redondo Beach at 7:00Am Saturday morning so there is no way I can spend the night. E-mail me with your cell number so we can get in touch.

rbfdclark@aol.com

Mike and Sean, what way are you thinking about taking to get there? Let me know as I do know the desert area fairly well.

Clark

Old 05-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #27

Clark
i sent you my phone numbers
and I put our plans in the email, and i don't have my mapbook here with me at work,
but I am following '56s instructions which by my memory has me going:

I15 to I395 (north) to I58 (west) to i14 (north)

and i think it would be encouraging for anyone who follows my directions to realize that in all my extensive travelling of the Western States on my motorcycles i believe i have seen almost every freeway and highway and every portion of Route 66 and a lot of that was accidental and this is because I get lost so darn often. I don't know how that happens and don't care, i have a heck of a lot of fun on my bike tours. who cares when you get there. I try a little harder in my truck and trailer especially with Cordie along for the ride. just thought i better put that in there.
O.K., who wants to follow my travel directions now??
Old 05-08-2005, 08:12 PM   #28

Here is the long range forcast for Friday thru Monday:

Sunny
High 81?F
Low 57?F

Mostly Sunny
High 82?F
Low 58?F

Sunny
High 79?F
Low 56?F